Best LED Flashlight for a Bike? Helmet and Handlebar

CPFBiology

Enlightened
Hi all, been lurking for a bit, and have registered, and am looking for some good quality lights for bike riding at night on a trail/wooded areas.

What is the best combination of LED Flashlights for a bike?
What would you consider a good set for putting on the handlebars, and on the helmet?

Should I pick the Fenix TK11 or TK12? They seem about the same, but from the CPFers' who have utilized the mid level on the TK12 around 120 lumens, is that sufficient for riding a trail in pitch black? I am trying to balance runtime with brightness. Would a pair of TK12's at 120 lumens be good enough? This would give good runtime, but is that enough light?

What about for a helmet light? Is the Fenix PD30 good enough, or should a 4Sevens Quark 123^2 be a better choice?

Any ideas for a good mounting option for handlebars, and the helmet (vented style like Lance Armstrong's helmet)

CPFBiology

Enlightened
I read about the MG P-Rocket, but it doesn't compare since it gives a lot of light, but for a shorter run time.

I read about the Magic Shine, but wanted something quite reliable for night riding (especially in the woods).

The EagleTacs, does anyone know about their build quality and reliability?

I thought about a bored out Surefire 6P, but since it is bored out, does the quality and reliability decrease substantially?

If I bought a SureFire 6P bored out to accept an 18650 battery, won't it cost a lot more to purchase a Malkoff dropin as well?

PapaLumen

Enlightened
Ive been using two magicshines on the bars for a year. No probs with either of them and a shedload of light... I ride in pitch black woodland. I dont have a headlight.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF CPFBiology.
120 lumens should be enough for all but the fastest downhills, which you might not be taking at max speed at night anyway. Another factor would be the beam shape of the light - 120 very floody lumens might not have enough distance for a lot of downhills. Luckily most lights have a compromise of throw and flood beams and should be fine at the 120 lumen level. Especially 120 x 2.

I would recommend mounting one on the handlebars with TwoFish Lockblocks, they are made for this application. I believe 4Sevens has them.

Eagletac has very good build quality and should be an excellent choice for riding. I usually like floody lights with a wide beam, but for this you want at least one with some throw to see down the trail. Most Eagletacs have a beam that would be great for riding.

Check out the Bike sub-forum here for lots of info on bike lights.

Last edited:

robintosh

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm using a "Tactical HID Bicycle light" that uses a SSC P7. It says 900 lumen, that has lots of spill for near view and a nice and soft spot for longer distances. Support system for the handlebar is pretty good for road riding, I haven't tested it off road yet.

http://tacticalhid.info/bikelight

On night group rides the light totally wows everyone. I still think having two of these lights on the bars would be totally great!!

Cheers,

Robinson

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also worth considering a Zebralight headlamp, perhaps in addition to something else.

The new H51 is a beast, pumping out a real 200 lumens on an Eneloop AA rechargeable. I am amazed by this light! It can do that for just under an hour, or if you go to 100 lumens, you get 2.1 hours. Amazing!!

The H31 is even brighter at 220 lumens for 0.9 hours and can do 120 lumens for 2 hours; however, it requires a CR123 batt (or the RCR123).

Amazing lights indeed!

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a long time cyclist, I will echo Thrifts advice here.

I find the best set up to be a light on my bars and one on my helmet. That way I've always got light in front of my bike no matter where I'm looking, but I also have a light that goes where ever I look. This helps prevent the tunnel vision and lack of depth that can arise from a helmet mounted light.

I prefer a floody light on my bars usually aimed fairly low to illuminate the road right in front of me so I can see obstacles and road hazards easily. On my helmet I much prefer a thrower so I can get a good hotspot on whatever it is I want to look at, even farther down the road. I also much prefer neutral white lights as they provide greater depth perception for night riding than do the cool white tints.

My current set up is a Quark AA2 XPG on my handlebar and a JetBeam Jet-III Pro ST on my helmet. I use twofish blocks for each that I got from 4Sevens. My suggestion to get the max amount of run time is to look for lights that are 18650 compatible as they have the highest energy density of just about any flashlight size battery. Many lights are like my JetBeam in that they can take either a single 18650 or two R/CR123s. These also tend to have a smaller form factor than AA lights, though YMMV.

CPFBiology

Enlightened
Can you use a flat top 2600mAh from AW 18650?

I know the Eagletacs have issues with those.

Where did you buy the jetbeam if you don't mind?

gander6

Newly Enlightened
I've been using a JetBeam III-M mounted to my helmet. I use a length of elastic shockcord w/ cord locks to tighten it down. I like having my light shine where I look. The UI of the light gives me a full power setting for when it's truly dark. The throw is great enough I can't out run it. The spill is acceptable for my uses. The user adjusted setting allows me to tailor the light for when it's dusk or twilight. I use AW 2200 mAH 18650s in it, which work fine for me.

Bug Out Gear USA is running a promo on the JB III-M, which makes it a great deal in my opinion.

Good luck with your search.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard that some people like to have the bike mounted light down on the fork so you get better shadows from the obstacles. I haven't tried that though.

CPFBiology

Enlightened
I've heard that some people like to have the bike mounted light down on the fork so you get better shadows from the obstacles. I haven't tried that though.

That is true, however, at the same time it is a little dangerous. Depending on what obstacles there are on the path, branches, bushes, parts of the hill, the light could be knocked into in the front wheel and could dump the rider.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi and :welcome:

my setup is a MG PLI warm white from shiningbeam (it was a rare find as it gets snapped up pretty quickly), it comes in a camo pattern (yuck) but other than that its fine, 3 mode light with memory and no strobe. This is mounted on the handlebars (twofish lockblock) and does a great job.

rear blinker, some cheapie 2xAAA from a bike shop, serves its purpose.

Now, i may not always need the front light so i also have an Akoray K106, 3 mode programmable (from kaidomain) programmed lo-max-strobe (medium speed) which i use as a front blinker.

helmet wise, u can use a two fish lockblock and mount what ever you wish, perhaps a zebralight H60w?

gander6

Newly Enlightened
Follow up to my previous post. Sometimes pictures are helpful.

JBIII-Monhelmet002.jpg

CPFBiology

Enlightened
Thanks for posting the pic. How secure is that?
Do you find that it causes damage to the helmet, or would compromise the safety of the helmet in a crash?

KD5XB

Enlightened
A month or two ago, I was on my evening run when I saw a light coming towards me, but probably a mile away. When it got close I could finally see the bicycle and rider! That light was pretty extreme, and when I asked about it, I was told it was a Dante setup. Never heard of Dante, but it brings to mind the word "Inferno". And it sure looked the part. They said it was expensive, but it might be something you're interested in.

ryanandty

Newly Enlightened
Also worth considering a Zebralight headlamp, perhaps in addition to something else.

The new H51 is a beast, pumping out a real 200 lumens on an Eneloop AA rechargeable. I am amazed by this light! It can do that for just under an hour, or if you go to 100 lumens, you get 2.1 hours. Amazing!!

The H31 is even brighter at 220 lumens for 0.9 hours and can do 120 lumens for 2 hours; however, it requires a CR123 batt (or the RCR123).

Amazing lights indeed!

I have the h501w which puts out 80 lumens on high, I don't know if I would recommend the floody zebralight modes around 100 lumens for pitch black riding (only about 30 feet of usable "throw" at cycling speed). 200 Lumens would probably do it for him, but I am going to try mine as a city streets light.

jacktheclipper

Enlightened
I use an iTP SA2 mounted with a Twofish lockblock on the handlebars , and a Romison RC-G2 WW mounted on my helmet with a Twofish bikeblock

I use the SA2 on medium and the throw from the Rc-G2 is plentiful

I also have a generic set of multi-led " be seen " lights.

Lots of light on a budget

;)

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the h501w which puts out 80 lumens on high, I don't know if I would recommend the floody zebralight modes around 100 lumens for pitch black riding (only about 30 feet of usable "throw" at cycling speed). 200 Lumens would probably do it for him, but I am going to try mine as a city streets light.

Ah! Agreed--the H501 would not be enough--but we're talking about the new H51 which is a whole new ball of wax! Much more flashlight-like throw. Check out some of the threads on it if you haven't.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/283934&page=4
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

gander6

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for posting the pic. How secure is that?
Do you find that it causes damage to the helmet, or would compromise the safety of the helmet in a crash?

It's secure. Because it has a two-way clip, I have the shock cord pulling it in opposite directions. The light also rests in one of the grooves that is an air vent.

No problems with heat that I've experienced.

Concerning a crash, well I never thought of that. I guess it wouldn't help. But then again the elastic shockcord would give. Hopefully I'll never have the experience to find out.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Magicshine is pretty ok for head and bar mount.

here's my DH MTB set up.

HELMET (fullface)
I use Nailbender 2.8A 5B tint Linger special in a C2 w aw2600 velcroed to
the strap of a P4 modded brunton L3

BARS (two fish lock block mount)
L2p with Nailbend SST-50 w aw2600 mounted to bars
with a two fish.

I like the Linger in warm better than any bike light
Ive seen in person- tho I wish there was a p60 module
compatible head lamp host.

cheers!

Last edited: