Your opinion on building a Mosque two blocks from ground zero

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
This is not new by any means, but recently its been a hot topic. I wanted to see what CPF thinks of this topic.
If you don't already know, there are plans to build an Islamic cultural center two blocks away from ground zero.
Here is an article from CNN

America's Republicans are up-in-arms about a proposed building that is barely even a blueprint yet, because it will put a new mosque within walking distance of New York's Ground Zero.
"This is a desecration," said former mayor Rudy Giuliani, who led the city through the 9/11 attacks that destroyed the World Trade Center in 2001.
The mosque would be just one part of a 13-story Islamic community center originally named Cordoba House, after the Spanish city conquered by Muslim invaders and enriched by their heritage.
In the course of the growing controversy over the project and its reference to a vanquished city, it has now been officially re-titled Park 51, using to its street address on Park Avenue to set a more secular, neutral tone.
The change hasn't won much goodwill. New Yorkers say a mosque two blocks from the site of a terror attack by Islamic extremists that killed more than 2,700 people is a painful affront. Pollsters say a clear majority oppose it.
Video: 'Building bridges' Video: Anti-Defamation League opposes mosque Video: 'Transparency' in mosque battle
RELATED TOPICS
New York City
September 11 Attacks
Islam
Influential Republicans from literally near and far, including former Alaska governor Sarah Palin and the former New York mayor, agree.
"Nobody would allow something like that at Pearl Harbor," Giuliani told a radio interviewer. "Let's have some respect for who died there and why they died there."
Prominent Democrats have largely avoided the argument and this week, White House Spokesman Robert Gibbs said "I think this is appropriately debated at another level."
But opposition, at whatever level, hasn't hindered the project. It took another step through the municipal planning process this week, with a unanimous 9-0 vote by local officials.
In fact, under the U.S. constitution's guarantees of religious freedom, New York officials say they had very little choice.
"If people want to build a house of worship they have a right to do it," current Mayor Michael Bloomberg said.
"This country is not built around state religion or only religions or clergy people we agree with. It's built around freedom."
It may still be a few years away, but it looks like the Muslims of Manhattan are going to get their mosque

Link to the article

Link to the video

In my personal opinion, I think its ridiculous. I wouldn't go as far to say thats its a disgrace, or make me want to burn Korans, but I think that its disrespectful.

What is your opinion?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I can already tell you this belongs in the Underground. I believe it is spelled Qur'an for the record once thread is closed.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

You KNOW ...........

this will be immediately be sent to the UG .

Why'd you even bother ?

Wayyyyyyy to political !

We can agree in the UG .... but .....

It won't fly here

~

Last edited:

Empath

Flashaholic
As has been noted by our knowledgeable members, the Underground is the place to discuss it. It's closed here.

Status
Not open for further replies.