TLE-6EX / 6EXB info pls.

PhillT

Newly Enlightened
I am a little confused about the TLE-6EX and the 6EXB.

Terralux state that the 6EX is for 4, 5 & 6 cells, and the 6EXB is for 2 & 3 cells.

Various web sites I have looked at show one as a small push-in flanged- globe looking unit, and the other as the same thing with a large slug around it (heatsink??) but the pictures are inconsistent as to which one is which.:shrug:

I want to replace the incandescent globe in a 6 volt (lantern battery) torch with a LED unit, and it appears that the TLE-6?? without the slug would fit in fairly easily. (The TLE-1F is exact match for the torch, but way too dull)

I need to know if the TLE 6??? without the slug is the higher voltage one,:twothumbs and if not, what size resistor could I use with the lower voltage LED and the 6 volt cell?

Thanks.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fat TLE-6EX won't fit.
The skinny TLE-6EXB max out at 4.5V. Your lantern battery is 6V. No go.

You will have to go with the less bright options.
I have a Terralux TLE-1F in my 6V lantern. Donut hole close up. Tightly focussed hotspot at a distance.
The 41-1644 40 Lumen 4.5V - 6V LED Replacement Bulb is a bit brighter, focus well close in (up to 15 ft), donut hole at a distance.
YMMV depending on the reflector in your light.

Here's mine:
6V-lantern--MTE-P7.jpg

TLE-1F close u:
TLE-1F-close.jpg

TLE-1F at a distance:
TLE-1F-far.jpg

The TLE-1F easily out-throws my '900 Lumen' MTE P7! Not very bright but it throws.
MTE P7 left, TLE-1F in 6V lantern right.
MTE-P7-vs-6V-lantern.jpg

Last edited:

PhillT

Newly Enlightened
LEDninja, thanks for the reply. Great pics:thumbsup:

The F1 is too much of a spot to be practical for my use.

I have acquired a 4 "D" cell adaptor which replaces the 6volt lantern battery, so I think I can now use either 3 "D" alkalines & one dummy = 4.5 volts, or alternatively, 4 NiMh "D" at 1.2 volts = 4.8 volts.
What is the chance of getting away with the extra 0.3 volt in the second scenario, using the 6EXB?

The reflector in my light is slightly dimpled, so might give a bit more side-light than yours, which seems to be smooth?

seatrue

Newly Enlightened
Just came across this post doing some research on a 6XB -I'm using it in a 4D Mag with Nimh. Don't know if this helps; am using the "fat" one - don't know if that would make a difference: I just started running it today and it's really bright; I'm not sure if it's TOO bright. (4x 1.38V nimh running the P4 at 1.2 amps = something like just over 6 watts) - I did just read a post somewhere that the P4 can handle up to 1.5 amps if its is well heat sinked?

((The spot light is terrific though! beam is even tighter than a mag w/ stock 2 cell bulb.)):whistle:

PhillT

Newly Enlightened
The TLE-6EXB arrived yesterday. It fitted into the Dolphin with very little modification.
The 4-D-cell adaptor which replaces the 6Volt lantern battery had to be modified, (a) wire soldered in to the 4th D-cell position, and (b) reversing the polarity of the springs on top of the adaptor. I think I could have forced the batteries in, in the reverse direction, but I opted to alter the contact springs.
For the record, it throws an awesome spot-beam, far brighter than the original incandescent, and it has very good useable side-light. Despite the fact that the TLE-6EXB is housed in plastic, it seems to not heat up very much at all on three D 1.2v Nimh. :thumbsup: