A penlight for checking mouths

StackNZ

Newly Enlightened
I've already searched this topic, but they were all about 2 years old.

I know about the Fenix LD05, 4Sevens Preon and the Sunlite Slim, are there any other penlights with decent output?

Criteria:
  • The light should be quite long, 15cm is ideal
  • Slim as possible, but no AAAA batteries please
  • Runs on alkalines
  • Single mode is preferred
  • $30 something dollars but lower is better

The light is going to be a gift for an unenlightened person. :twothumbs

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
I use a Preon II NW to do my physical exams, including looking into mouths.

If that's the main reason for this light, I'd say get your friend a Preon II neutral white or warm white. The cool white version tends to wash out the colors so it's harder to tell if the mouth/throat is inflamed.

Also, the low mode is perfect, enough to see but does not blind the patient. I doubt your friend will ever need the high mode. The one time I did use the high mode was so that I could look into a kid's ear to clean it out.

AFAIK there are no other LED penlights that are neutral or warm.

photonstorm

Newly Enlightened
4 sevens Preon 2 neutral white would be my top choice

get it at 4sevens.com, discount code is cpf8

Its one of my favourite lights due to the form factor

HKJ

Flashaholic
I know about the Fenix LD05, 4Sevens Preon and the Sunlite Slim, are there any other penlights with decent output?

Criteria:
  • The light should be quite long, 15cm is ideal
  • Slim as possible, but no AAAA batteries please
  • Runs on alkalines
  • Single mode is preferred
  • $30 something dollars but lower is better

There are a few more, I have compare them in these two beamshots:
EagleTac PN20a2, Preon II, Fenix LD05

Preon II, Sunlite Slim, Sunlite Slim2, Fenix LD05, Streamlight Stylus Pro

There are also the Icon Solo, but it is only rated for 16 lumen. It will be included next time I do a penlight beamshot.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
As others have said the colourtemperature of the light is important.
I use a preon II warm white that I think is fine. If you just click it on and off it is like a single mode light but you can get more light in case you need it.
The neutral white also works for mouth exam and similar but IMHO the warm is better. (Maybe the ultimate would be somewere in between?)
The cool white is not good for this use.

So my vote goes to Preon II ww.

EDIT: I just looked into my mouth in the mirror and compared NW to WW. The Preon II WW is maybe a little to yellow on low, looks better in medium. Maybe the NW is the better choice after all?
There are beamshots around here on CPF but the best is to see the difference live to decide.

There is also the Eagletac PN20a2 that comes in neutral white. I havn't seen it in person but it has been reviewed.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/285300
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/287165

Both the Preon and the PN20a2 are around $40 wich is a little over your budget.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the UK many medical reps give away as freebies loads of these penlight lights,but notice my doc always has a more professional looking one so what happens to all the freebies then.:D

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Preon II NW to do my physical exams, including looking into mouths.

If that's the main reason for this light, I'd say get your friend a Preon II neutral white or warm white. The cool white version tends to wash out the colors so it's harder to tell if the mouth/throat is inflamed.

Also, the low mode is perfect, enough to see but does not blind the patient. I doubt your friend will ever need the high mode. The one time I did use the high mode was so that I could look into a kid's ear to clean it out.

AFAIK there are no other LED penlights that are neutral or warm.

+1
I agree 100%
I use it for mouth and skin exams since our overhead lights are terrible. I have the WW and just love it.

ktm032

Newly Enlightened
The icon solo is cheap and has one of the best styles out there. It also has a nice warm beam as the streamlight stylus pro but looks alot better. It has a dual mode that should do great. Its a 2aaa and is 23 bucks at light hound dot com.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
My daughter just began medical school. I bought her a Preon 1xAAA in warm white. I realize that 2xAAA is more conventional, but I figured that she would find the smaller light "cute."

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
For some reason I thought most of the penlights doctors used had aspherics in them. Is that nonsense?

Illum

Flashaholic
I think the preon might be better over the stylus...for one thing is batteries are easily available, for another its easier to clean because its much more water resistant:grin2:

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
My daughter just began medical school. I bought her a Preon 1xAAA in warm white. I realize that 2xAAA is more conventional, but I figured that she would find the smaller light "cute."

I'd get her a clicky tailcap; saves a lot of time when you're being timed to finish your physical exam for a grade. :thumbsup:

For some reason I thought most of the penlights doctors used had aspherics in them. Is that nonsense?

I believe the incans penlights have a bulb that tend to look like aspherics or act like aspherics.

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
EDIT: I just looked into my mouth in the mirror and compared NW to WW. The Preon II WW is maybe a little to yellow on low, looks better in medium. Maybe the NW is the better choice after all?
There are beamshots around here on CPF but the best is to see the difference live to decide.

I got both and did the same thing. I felt like the WW washed out the colors like the cool white, except everything had more of a yellow/orange tint.

bspofford

Enlightened
I'm a mouth (ENT) doctor and have been a professor responsible for teaching ENT examinations. I also collect LED flashlights, but for oral examinations I use freebie incan AAA X 2 penlights that are given by drug reps for free. Some are disposable, but most have thin aluminum bodies and collimator lenses. They are very compact, and I don't worry about losing them.

Last edited:

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps these are dumb questions, but shouldn't a light used for this purpose be sanitized between uses, and doesn't the medical community find it desirable to have something like a smooth SS body for more effective elimination of bacterial, viral, microbial or other agents or liquids or gasses or foodstuffs that might somehow fly out of a mouth?

Latest posts