Malkoff/McGizmo collabs... ***Ti VME Head interest thread***

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Just thinking out loud here. :D

With the Ti McClickky pack/ Ti 2 x AA pack, the only thing missing is a Ti M-Series module holder. I would love a McGizmo Ti head to hold a Malkoff Drop in. Of course it would be for the M61's or M60L series. It would open up a whole new awesomeness to the McGizmo/Malkoff collab's!!! :hitit:

:party:

:devil:

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Re: Malkoff/McGizmo collabs... McGizmo Ti Malkoff dropin head?

This thread has chummed the waters for 12 hours, I guess I'm the only one who would buy one? :eek:

:D

The Coach

Enlightened

Most of us don't have insomnia. :tired::tired: There may be at least one more interested party. :naughty:

karlheinz3

Flashlight Enthusiast

I guess that's why the VME head was created. I love it on a 123 ti Pak with a Malkoff M30 WF. That is my fovorite general purpose user but it sure would be nice in titanium. maybe MirageMan (Brian) or Tranquillity_Base (Scott) can accomodate your wishes. Although....with Don's recent involvement with Gene in the design of the new modules, a titanium dropin head should certainly be in the VAPOR stages of conceptual design. :hitit:GREAT IDEA!

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just thinking out loud here.

With the Ti McClickky pack/ Ti 2 x AA pack, the only thing missing is a Ti M-Series module holder. I would love a McGizmo Ti head to hold a Malkoff Drop in. Of course it would be for the M61's or M60L series. It would open up a whole new awesomeness to the McGizmo/Malkoff collab's!!! :hitit:

:party:

:devil:

Interesting idea. :rolleyes:

Then, why does not Don make C compatible Ti lights rather than matching with E series body ? My guess is he is not interested in these combination of Ti + C/P size lights.

But I would buy it if he makes one. :D

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

There would be no C/P series parts, this is about a E series Ti head for Malkoff Dropins. :)

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you, PSM for the info. :)

SFfanman

Enlightened

Great Idear! I think the awesomeness factor would be off the charts should his concept take features here and there from past custom runs. I know I would be down. :thumbsup:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

Like a Ti PD-S style bezel ring with a built in sapphire window. :drool:

Or even a Haiku/LS style built in sapphire window. :cool:

It would be a home run!!!

Everyone has McClicky packs and Malkoff drop ins, this is the missing link!!! :D

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Then, why does not Don make C compatible Ti lights rather than matching with E series body .....?

Some of my first mods, what, 8 years ago or so, were based on the SF "Classic" hosts. The pic below is of a 5W Luxeon cyan module. I used cyan because this was before Luxeon was offering a 5W LED in white:

lamp-module.jpg

Thermal issues were greater back then even though the power was below what we enjoy today. I felt the founding geometry in the SF classic head to powerpak was contrary to a geometry optimized for thermal relief and passage from module to host.

For a light in the classic physical size, I was convinced that the Pelican M6 had a much better and friendly geometry for LED hosting and I went off in that direction. I personally preferred the scale of the single cell E-series and found myself drawn to being one of the players and founders in the open "E"series architecture. At the time there were little if any 6P clones or anything like the drop in market the community now enjoys.

Multiple output levels also became a design goal. the E series lights lent themselves to two levels via resistored tail cap switching; momentary push and constant on via twist. As time went on this was identified as an infraction in IP so I needed another means of getting two levels of output and the PD design came about. The PD design though was not E series compatible even though it shared similar size and some common geometries. Ultimately it became a design goal to get three levels of output from the LED because of the advances in efficiency and flux. My solution was to go with the "3S" converter and this allowed me to again embrace the "E" series and additionally Aleph platform. I had also moved into the niche of titanium as I could offer something not readily available from others and this is a market that is inherently small and viable for a one man approach.

Gene has done a great job from what I can gather in developing his market niche and I am certainly happy with the support the community has provided me in my endeavors. At present I am providing some assistance to Gene with some reflectors and it seems to be a good fit for both of us and we are not really competing with each other. Certainly neither of us seems intent on going for a gain at the loss of the other.

Prior to this thread I would guess that both Gene and I would sate that we have relatively full plates and yet we both know that we need to be looking down the road as well. This thread is less than a week old and already one suggestion is for a third party to step in and feed the demand presumably since neither Gene nor I have responded in any favorable manner. As long as it's made available, what difference to you guys who makes it, right? There are ramifications on our end though and we face real limitations in terms of resources; one major one simply being time.

Somewhat related I suppose is a comment I will share. If there was a good quality, 3 level light engine available off the shelf to a builder such as myself, I know I would look seriously into using it. I say that because my expertise in the electronics and converter aspect of these lights is non existent. My interest (I won't presume to even suggest expertise) is in the optic and hosting of a light engine. I do have specific criteria and requirements of such a light engine though and it would take a strong motivation to abandon existing geometries and modularity if require, to embrace a new animal. I don't think it unreasonable to imagine a standard configuration of a LED Lamp that includes not only the LED but a driver as well. We see this now in automotive LED lamp replacements and I suppose to some extent in flashlight lamp replacements but not in a stellar design where a LE is designed from the ground up specifically to enhance the nature of the LED. CPF has some experience in this approach from some of its members but this has not been attempted by any larger commercial player to my knowledge. Perhaps it is not viable and I fail to fathom the reason. :shrug:

I don't know if the industry will ever approach portable lighting with offerings of off the shelf or relatively off the shelf LE's but it sure would make it easier for some of us! Of course if it was easy, everybody would be doing it and ultimately a lot of us would have to seek new occupation. :eek:

How's that for a long winded non response! :nana:

karlheinz3

Flashlight Enthusiast

:popcorn: If you build it....they will come! The Mcclicky Paks are the finest flashlight head hosting units made short of maybe one of Tranquillity_Base or MirageMan's customs. A simple versatile titanium head sounds so COOL and affords the same light to be used for a multitude of varius applications depending on the desired module for the task at hand. I hope someone capitalizes on this conceptual idea! :poof:

DasRoot

Newly Enlightened

I've been in contact with Jim at Valiant Concepts about this...hopefully he will chime in

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast

For a light in the classic physical size, I was convinced that the Pelican M6 had a much better and friendly geometry for LED hosting and I went off in that direction. I personally preferred the scale of the single cell E-series and found myself drawn to being one of the players and founders in the open "E"series architecture. At the time there were little if any 6P clones or anything like the drop in market the community now enjoys.

A part of history unfolded. Thank you, Don.

I just web searched Pelican M6 2320, and it looks almost identical to SF P6 to me. I don't know if it has almost same inner head space as P6, though. :rolleyes:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

How's that for a long winded non response! :nana:

Good post Don, great read really!! :wave:

I guess I was just thinking out loud, I figured since you were already working with Gene, and you make the McClickie packs, who better to make the heads? You make a lil $$$ on the heads, folks will need to put a drop in in the heads, Gene make a few more sales. Its a win win. :D

I understand Valiant (Thats Rothrandir right?) makes the Al heads, definitely not trying to step on their toes. The Ti head would definitely be a niche product, perfect for a "wave" like production. :nana:

If it never happens, this was a fun thread to follow, kept me busy for a few days. :tinfoil:

fyrstormer

Banned

I have no horse in this race, but it seems to me if you and Gene have already worked out one mutually-beneficial arrangement, then another such as this should be pretty easy. You make the casings, he makes the light engines, some of which would no doubt continue to use your reflectors. Nobody on CPF can say anything of substance that's negative about your casings, and Gene's light engines are very popular among people who have lights they'll fit into. There's a ready market for his light engines, and anyone who browses the B/S/T knows your lights sell quickly, even used, so I think there would also be a ready market for both combined.

A McGizmo light that uses the E-series standard along with Malkoff drop-ins would be pretty much impossible to beat in terms of performance, flexibility, and durability, and it would also take the onus off you to spec electronics for your lights, which is something you've repeatedly expressed reservations about. I know I've been curious from time to time about trying a light with a Malkoff in it, but as it stands I'm so heavily invested in Gizmos that it wouldn't make sense for me to stock up on parts for another standard -- but if the two were merged, as suggested in this thread, that would change the game dramatically. Among other things, I'd actually have a use for that 2x123 Clicky Pak I just bought. :D

Regarding whether it matters who ends up building it...I understand there is a financial risk for both of you, but frankly I'd rather continue buying from someone who I know makes good products and stands behind them, if given the choice. Not that I doubt the integrity of any of the other custom builders on CPF, but, well...the devil you know, right? ;)

Last edited:

DasRoot

Newly Enlightened

Right now I have a vme head that I run on a mcgizmo body and I love it. I think the answer to this is for Valiant Concepts to do a limited run of ti vme heads that you can run on the mcgizmo pak of your choosing. I talked with Jim from VC via email and he was concerned that the heads would be about $100 bucks each and may not sell. I'm pretty sure that's something he doesn't need to worry about but maybe I'm wrong.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

Nothing wrong with VME making them, that would be great.

But... :devil:

With McGizmo, we get the uber cool McGizmo look though. :cool: