Fenix TK11 or TK12: TK12=Cheaper?

CPFBiology

Enlightened
From what I gather, TK11 and TK12 are pretty much identical, except the TK12 has the hidden modes.

It seems that more effort and work, had to go into making the TK12, but why is it cheaper? Does it lose out in some other way in order to cut costs?

If you had to choose TK11 or TK12 (each are R5's) which would you end up picking?

I realize a thread may have mentioned TK12 or TK11, but nothing really addressing the price difference so much.

In a way, I am also bumping the topic or idea, because I am somewhat torn between the TK11 or TK12. I want to use it for a bike light, maybe even get two...get both?

Would the medium setting on the TK12 be good for going in the woods on a bike, or is the turbo setting pretty necessary?

I read about EagleTac's and MG Rockets. The Olight M20 seems too pricey.
But EagleTac's can't take the 2600mAh AW 3.7V cell from what I gather. Or has that changed? :oops:

PerttiK

Enlightened
The biggest difference is that tk12 has lower modes and needs optional body tube for 18650 batteries.

xlanc3

Newly Enlightened
I will go with the tk11. I am getting tired of the whole modes. I learned my lesson with modes after I purchased my P3d which has 5 modes

shipwreck

Enlightened
I almost went with the TK11 - but ended up ordering the Eagletac P20C2 Mk II. I liked it so much that I then ordered the T20C2 Mk II.

300 actual out the front lumens. You really should look at those too. Great lights.

I now have 4 Eagletac lights because I like them so much

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The TK12 takes 18650 just fine - including 2600mAh flat-tops.

I have no idea why it's cheaper, but it performs well. Check my sig for a list of all reviews, including that one and the Ealgetac offerings.

CPFBiology

Enlightened
I almost went with the TK11 - but ended up ordering the Eagletac P20C2 Mk II. I liked it so much that I then ordered the T20C2 Mk II.

300 actual out the front lumens. You really should look at those too. Great lights.

I now have 4 Eagletac lights because I like them so much

Have you had any instances of physically abusing the lights? Are they durable and reliable? Have you had any issues with the lights failing on you?

Can they work well with the flat top AW 18650 2600mAh batteries?

RepProdigious

Enlightened
I hate to burst you bubble, but ive been using the TK11 for quite a while as bike light but the beam profile isnt all that great imho..... I recently purchased a 30 bucks DX P7 light (mighty bright and nice floody) and for biking purposes it beats the tk11 out of the water.... And its way cheaper! If you completely break it you can just get a new one and still be cheaper off than with a tk11/12.....

CPFBiology

Enlightened
I hate to burst you bubble, but ive been using the TK11 for quite a while as bike light but the beam profile isnt all that great imho..... I recently purchased a 30 bucks DX P7 light (mighty bright and nice floody) and for biking purposes it beats the tk11 out of the water.... And its way cheaper! If you completely break it you can just get a new one and still be cheaper off than with a tk11/12.....

I've owned 5 lights from DX, they've all failed:banghead:. I would like to spend a little more to get some more reliability. I don't want to get stuck in the dark deep in the woods when it fails.

CPFBiology

Enlightened
5 broken DX lights? :sick2: Yikes!

Yeah, two of them were 18650's. They stopped working while I was still on the trail. :poof:

One (at another point in time) was a DX 2AA battery light, it fell off my bike, along with a Fenix L2D (2AA). They both fell from the same height. The DX went :poof:, then stopped working. The Fenix, I still have, and it works without issue. I like Fenix for that reason, and it was an important reason to me then, and now as well. I don't want to be stuck in the woods in the dark. I could probably make my way out, but it would be inconvenient. (I would still retain backups as well). I also have a Wolf Eyes 18650, but it is not as reliable. With the Wolf Eyes, it switches to low mode from high whenever it encounters a shock.

The DX lights may be good if you don't abuse them as they provide light at good levels, and are fairly cheap. But if you need more reliability, I think it is worth it paying the extra for the Fenix (or comparable light). The DX may possibly be useful as a backup for the price.

I had another DX that just failed for no reason. :mecry::faint:

Also, I have an UltraFire from DX that still works...but it will only work for 15-20 minutes, then overheat and flake out. :poof::mecry:

Any other lights that you know of which can take the AW flat top 18650's that are reliable? Cost is not a factor, within reason. :paypal:

shipwreck

Enlightened
Have you had any instances of physically abusing the lights? Are they durable and reliable? Have you had any issues with the lights failing on you?

Can they work well with the flat top AW 18650 2600mAh batteries?

The T20C2 MK II can use 18650s - but if you do some searching here on the site - there is 1 type of 18650 it will not work with. I cannot remember, since I use primaries only. Since I have so many lights, and my rifle carbines and gun mounted lights use 123 batteries, I only stick with the regular 123s...

I keep 25+ primaries on hand all the time.