1300LM Too good to be true?

DOC 24V

Newly Enlightened
Hi from a new member in Australia,

DX has this Trustfire SST50 1300LM does anyone have a review or beam shots of this cheap SST50 light? thinking of buying a SST50 type light, waiting on a few more reviews from the Catapult V2 handaround before my first 250 lm plus purchase.

In Australia we don't seem to have much available other than LED lenser.

If there is already a review or infor on this light, please point me in the right direction, I have been seraching.

Great forum, thanks.

Last edited:

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
DX output values = too good to be true.

DX have a strange way of testing their lights output. I think they throw a dice with a value on each face and continue to roll it until the highest number shows up. Then they have that number as their lumen output.

Seriously though, DX stuff is a bit of a gamble. I'd much rather pay two or three times as much money for a light with 'half' the output and know that what I was getting was reliable and well made.

You can get torches in Australia (online) from a few places. Torchworld.com.au probably has the biggest range and reasonable prices on most lights.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is too good to be true. :D

be wary of marketing claims when it comes to lights, many places will claim high lumen numbers but it simply isnt true.

Also be aware that the workmanship of DX lights is a hit and miss, some will work flawlessly, others will die shortly or right out of the box, has happened to me quite a few times till I no longer get lights from DX but get parts and accessories only.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's some comparism information here,

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/281027

I think it is value for money, :D and I'm still using it occassionally.

I was just hunting around for that thread to post here :)

I think it's a great looking light, and if you were short on cash for a Catapult, This'd be a good substitute.

In the linked thread, there was a post that indicated a 2.5A tailcap current on the Trustfire.

Let's use some conservative numbers:

8V (under load) * 2.5A = 20W

~ 20% loss due to driver inefficiencies = 16W

According to the SST-50 Datasheet, the emitter at 4.5A has a 3.5Vf = 15.75W

At 4.5A the emitter is outputting 225% of Flux at 1.75A

IF (note the big "if") Trustfire were shipping this with a top WJ bin emitter, then 1350 Lumens would be the result.

More likely they're using a lower bin emitter. The lower bins would give:

WF = 790 Lumens
WG = 960 Lumens
WH = 1125 Lumens

Even ~1000 lumens would still make this a great value light, IMO.

Last edited:

DOC 24V

Newly Enlightened
Thanks jwyj for that link, just what I have been looking for:thumbsup:

Still considering the Cat V2, only want a light for wow factor when out camping & don't need any tactical ability or strobe.
Battery dose not matter to mucth but would prefer 2x18650.Thanks for feedback CPF menbers.As allways you get what you pay for!