The Smell of SureFire

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone else noticed it?

Today I received a large box from SureFire with a lot of little boxes of batteries. As I tucked them away where they belong, I noticed a strange, but nonetheless familiar odor. It was very pleasant. And then I remembered -- this is the same odor I smell whenever I open a package from SureFire and whenever I open a sealed box with a SF flashlight. To check this out, I pulled out the empty boxes that came with some of my SureFires, and SureEnough, the same smell wafted out of them.

Perhaps its some sort of lubricant SureFire uses. But on batteries? Hmmmm. Perhaps it's some kind of flashlight pheromone that SF uses to reward us whenever we buy one of their products. I really do like the smell. Maybe there's more to being a flashaholic than just a love of flashlights?

Paul /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
Yes, I've noticed this too. It's distinct and it is there everytime I buy a SF...nothing smells quite like it. I believe it is the concentrated scent of lithium (the batteries they include with all of their lights), combined with the smell of the paper in the manuals and cards.

Skyline

Enlightened
Woo... I'm addicted to the smell of CR123As. It's particularly strong with Surefires, since they generally draw such large current loads. The distinctive scent of CR123As is the smell of power. The smell of control. The smell of destiny. The smell of... victory.

[ QUOTE ]
You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Lithium, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of lithium batteries in the evening. You know, one time we had a blackout, for sixteen hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one live battery. The smell, you know that Surefire smell, the whole place. Smelled like... victory. Sometime this blackout's gonna end...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've noticed that smell many a time myself. I've spent over a dozen years in the chemicals industry so I guess I'm lucky I can smell anything at all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wilkey

PS. It doesn't quite make me turgid like it does Skyline though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Order some car brochures for a very similar smell. Love that smell...