ooh baby! KL4 on 3x123 body!

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my hands on some hot prototypes. These aren't for sale, so Moderators, no need to lock this post for advertising. E3-type body with KL4 head. The beam shot is the A2 versus this E3-type body with the KL4 head.

newbodies.jpg

From left to right: A2, E3-type body with KL4 head, E1e body, E1-type body, and KL1 head.

a2_vs_e3.jpg

A2 Beam on the left, E3 beam on the right.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, i thought so too...but man, it's super bright. I don't have a light meter, but I'm sure it's easily 100 Lumen... I hope nothing pops!

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
ttran97,

I see that you have the Vital-gear battery holders. The 1x123 version is sweet, isn't it? Now if they can get the HA III to match Surefire...

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
crazy nice bodies!

is the curcuit being bypassed and sending 9v directly to the led?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

just because they aren't for sale doesn't mean you can't sell them now, does it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

have your people call my people /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paypal sent!!! I'm not sure where to, but I sent it anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh and the regulation: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

Edit: what's the on/off method?

Edit#2: can you post a 2 cell vs 3 cell L4 pic?

jtice

Flashaholic
Those are SUPER nice and sexy.
Excellent shape and lines to them.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

pahl

Enlightened
This is the first time I have seen the "E1-type body"
Who can tell me more about it and were I can get one?
Do you turn the bezel to turn it on and off?

Thanks,

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light is turned on and off by twisting the head, like what you do with an Arc AAA. I'll have more pictures tomorrow, including comparisons of beam shots with an L4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

These bodies were a gift from a friend in Colorado (hint hint) , so I don't know much about them. And if I did know about them, can't talk about them yet! Just stirring up some interest first...hehe.

Darell

Flashaholic
pahl - this is the first time we're ALL seeing this stuff.

Twist-on seems to be the order of the day, like the original Arc LS. The problem I see here, is that the Surefires do not have an O-ring bypass design. That means in the "off" position, the O-ring will be exposed, and the light will likely not waterproof when off. But yes, they are VERY professional-looking pieces - and a VERY sleek way of getting 9V into the KL4 if that's your desire.

That elusive, perfect tailswitch evades us yet again....

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
ttran97 said:
The light is turned on and off by twisting the head, like what you do with an Arc AAA...

[/ QUOTE ]

That can be a real problem with the KL4 since it gets so hot that even the L4 body becomes almost unholdable unless your hand/arm has been heat-sinking it from the start.

Brightnorm

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
Darrel,

The o-ring is semi-exposed in the off position. Your post encouraged me to subject the 2xAA/3x123 twist pack and a E2 bezel without bulb(I did not use the KL1 for fear of damaging it) to a waterproof (water resistant?) test. To my surprise, the combo failed the running water test as some droplets were found in the bezel after I removed it from running water.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Ttran,

I assume you want comments along with the drooling?

Those are a fine example of machine work there but I will be a weenie and come down hard on the twist on/off switching design incoporated with the SF heads. As stated by others above, the default condition of the light leaves the O-ring exposed and the seal of the light is suspect.

It is unfortunate that the E series heads weren't made originally with a skirt on the head that overlapped the O-ring by a fair amount. It's a mute point, since they weren't, and it was unnecessary since the lights have always been provided with a tail switch.

I do assume that these power packs have springs in them to at least allow for variations in battery train lengths?

Somebody can obviously make some nice looking parts! I hope they can add some viable function to these parts and then we're really cooking!

I think it would be a real shame if SF was asked to warrant a water damaged Kl4 due to an aftermarket part that was made with no attention to design requirements.

- Don