Fenix LD20 or surefire P6

leswado

Newly Enlightened
HI,
New to this forum and looking for some valid opinions. I am looking for a good bright torch for 100+ yards and I am considering the Fenix LD20 or Surefire P6. From some research it looks like a lot more after market options for the LD20 and better prices but I like US made equipment which in the past have always proven to be of quality, prices are high though . What are your views and are these asian torches catching up and maybe overtaking the US produces. At the moment I am favouring the LD20 but I only plan on buying one and I need to get it right, any others to consider in the race for the ultimate buy.
Thanks Folks.:twothumbs

jtblue

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

I have a surefire P6 LED (KX4) and it will not effectively illuminate objects at 100 yards (don't think it was designed for that) but if you buy a P6 incandescent, you could replace the drop-in with one that throws better. It will be pricey but the build quality is very high and it will take one hell of a beating.

Don't know much about the LD20 though but after owning a fenix TK10 for over a year, I wouldn't hesitate buying another fenix if I ever felt the need as they too are quality/rugged tools.

Last edited:

shado

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three fenix lights,

LD20
LD10 TI
TK45

My opinion is you can't go wrong with a Fenix. When I use my LD20 I'm always impressed buy the quality and value. Good luck with your purchase.

GadgetGeek

Newly Enlightened
They are both good lights but I don't think you can compare the two. They are very different. The only thing similar is the price. If this was the only flashlight purchase in your entire lifetime I would say get the LD20 because of its variable output, sometimes you don't need that much light. The P6 only has a single output but you can replace the led like I have with a Malkoff M60 and make it throw as good as a Surefire LX2! I don't think you'll stop after purchasing one of these so like they say around here "buy both!":D

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two LD20. They are lucky to throw about 50 yards and they are very dim at that range. There is no light at 100 yards from an LD20.

workingmids

Newly Enlightened
1st post, welcome. New here too.

I have both of the lights you ask about and agree that they are both good lights but neither will be effective at 100y.

I would consider a light that runs cr123as or a 18650, and the Fenix TK11 might be a good choice, though it is not a pocket light; the 4Sevens Quark 123 two cell would probably be a good blend of both the PD20 & the 6P, with better output; waiting on one myself. Others may have better suggestions.:welcome: