Desirable accessor for LS models- a tailpiece cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrayzebra

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to have a cap that would fit an alternative (or spare) LS tailpiece to allow it to be carried with back-up batteries in it. This seems like an absolutely essential item to add to the Arc line. It would probably increase sales of tailpieces, as well as adding another little accessory to the line.

This would completely cover the threads and O-ring to protect them, and would have a non-conductive inner lining, making the spare tailpiece into a spare battery container. It could be a cheapo plastic thingies, or could match the material and finish of the flashlight. A cheapo plastic one could be included with separately purchased tailpieces. While it would be more desirable to have this be threaded, even just a slip-over friction fitted cap would protect the threads and O-ring, but a nice matched aluminum cap would be very cool. A cap that matches the quality of the flashlight would turn that extra tailpiece into a water-resistant battery keeper, and would make the purchase of an alternative or spare tailpiece much more tempting to start with.

I'd pay for one of those, for sure. It would make the spare

It might also have a lanyard attachment point in case you're using it to keep a couple AAs handy in your AA-TSP, which has no attachment point.

Other desirable accessories
- a pocket clip to fit the AA-TSP
- a high quality ink pen that matches the lights in look, feel, and durability/dependability

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xrayzebra, if you in effect extend the LS battery tube to hold 2x123's (one "driving" the LS and the other a "passenger"), why not just have the tube wired so both batts are driving the LS in parallel? You'd get your longer runtime, wouldn't you?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i believe either cnc dan or dspeck made some of these a while ago right?

i have made a cap in the past...nothing fancy, but it worked very well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
it was made of delrin, and was basically a cup, with threading in the inside to fit on the arc body. hopefully ticey will come around and comment on how well he likes it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (it should arrive at his place tomorrow i think...)

onelight

Enlightened
It might be neat if the cap had a hole threaded for the ARC-aaa head,could be used for long run light or battery storage.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
that is a good idea!

it would only work for the 1aa pak though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Tomas

Banned
Re: Desirable accessor for LS models- a tailpiece

(Another idea for a "cap" for the LS battery packs: One to replace the Kroll switch so a TSP can be converted to a twistie ... )

xrayzebra

Newly Enlightened

Phaserburn - no offense, but I have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe you are offering another suggestion, rather than responding directly to mine?

My suggestion was simply for a cap to fit a *second* tailpiece, NOT for an *extended* tailpiece that would hold an extra battery. While your suggestion may be desirable for some LS owners, one of the prime features of the LS for me is the compact size. In my scheme, if you were carrying 2 123s, the second one would be inside a spare tailpiece, not the same tailpiece.

But, many of us own already own an LS with the standard 123 tailpiece, PLUS a AA-TSP. Maybe we'd like to carry the LS with one or the other tailpieces installed, and we'd like to keep the other tailpiece handy with batteries installed.

This would allow us to have back-up batteries readily at hand, and to utilize the extra tailpiece more readily. The cap would protect the threads and O-ring, even if we were just storing the tailpiece without batteries. In my case, the LS would probably be in my pocket, and the spare tailpiece in my briefcase.

Since every tailpiece that fits the LS body will also take the same cap interchangeably, the cap would be useful with any LS tailpiece, whether you had duplicate tailpieces or alternative ones.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
i believe either cnc dan or dspeck made some of these a while ago right?

i have made a cap in the past...nothing fancy, but it worked very well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
it was made of delrin, and was basically a cup, with threading in the inside to fit on the arc body. hopefully ticey will come around and comment on how well he likes it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (it should arrive at his place tomorrow i think...)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it was DSpeck who made delrin caps that nicely hold the batteries in an extra tailcap. They cost a coupla bucks each. I don't know whether he still has any available.

Paul

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

do you have a link? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Xray,

That's exactly what I was thought you meant. My mistake. I thought you wanted a 2x123 tailpiece, not a seperate tailpiece that would already contain the spare batt.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

what about a metal plug that can be screwed into the hole meant for the kroll in the tsp-123 so you can turn it into a twistie?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

wow, those are nice!
i do remember them now, especially darells comment about making his car out of delrin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

mine doesn't have the loophole in the top, but looks almost identical other than that (and the fact that it's black)

xrayzebra

Newly Enlightened

I dropped a note to dspeck asking if these are still available. I'll post any reply info. Thanks to those who have responded.

jtice

Flashaholic

Just got my batt pack cap from roth today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fits on both my 2AA and 123 packs perfectly, nice and tight.
Whats nice is, I can leave the house in a bit of a hurry, and if I think I am going to need to run the light for a long time, I grab my 2AA pack with rechargables in it, and the cap on it. Ans I dont have to worry about it in my pocket or in a back pack.

DaveT

Enlightened

Rothrandir makes these too? If you don't mind my asking, what did they set you back?

Dave

jtice

Flashaholic

Well,,,
Roth was kind enough to make one special for me,
I have a few projects I'm doing with him.

I dont think he will want to start making these. He has enough trouble making all the MMM's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Price, well, lol,, I dont really even know, its kind of part of a group of things being made, or modded for me.

You will have to cantact him on this. He is currently on a little vacation. He will be back at the begging of Sept.

xrayzebra

Newly Enlightened

I heard back from D Speck - he has a small batch of caps being made now, and they are $3 each, plus $3 shipping (for up to 10 caps per shipment.) Still takes PayPal. Didn't ask him for a delivery date, I just sent him the money, but it sounds as though he will have these available (edit: late September?)

Jtice's description of how he uses these is exactly what I had in mind.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

thanks for posting the pics ticey!
how do you like it?

i am still out of town currently, but was able to sneak onto a computer for a short amount of time to check pms and emails (and some of cpf of course (i'll never catch up!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ))

for $3, i suggest you go with dspecks, they appear very nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.