Maratac AA Stainless vs. Quark Mini Titanium AA vs. ??

Icanman

Newly Enlightened
Hallo people, I have been reading more about LED lights!

What I want to buy first is a very small light to carry in my pocket all the time.

I want it to use AA batteries. I will be using this light for my job (doing security and periodic inspections at night) and they normally issue us a mini-maglite and they provide us with an allowance of batteries. The mini maglites go through the batteries so fast.

I want a 1xAA battery LED light, as small as possible, but also bright. The idea is, I want this to be MY personal carry light, but I will also use it for work. This way I can use the batteries they give me at work, and since the LED light should probably get better runtime than the mini-mag, I will essentially be provided with free batteries for my personal use in this light as well :D But I don't want a 2xAA just a 1xAA, because I want small.

Also I really want the light to be something other than aluminum because I'm allergic to aluminum oxide (I know it's a weird allergy and it causes lots of problems in my life). Exposure to even a tiny bit of aluminum oxide on my skin causes me to break out in a rash, and if I get it in my mouth I get airway constriction and if I am exposed to enough I could go into anaphylactic shock. At work I usually just wear rubber disposable gloves for my shift because I have to handle the light and I have to be careful to wash my work uniform well so I don't have residue in my clothes or anything. Usually anodized alumium like on a maglite doesn't give me any irritation but there are areas of the threads where I can run into trouble when I have to change batteries (which is A LOT with minimags) and also if the light is scratched up badly it can give me a rash.

For all these reasons I have been looking at 2 lights in particular, the Maratac AA stainless and the Quark Mini Titanium AA because they fit my needs and are not aluminum.

Using a non-aluminum light for work will be nicer because I can ditch the gloves (unless it's cold outside lol). Also, pocket-carrying an aluminum light would be a major no-no for me.

Anyway on to the point - Can someone compare and contrast for me the Maratac and the Quark Mini, OR any other small, compact, AA lights that are not aluminum?

Also do these 2 lights contain any aluminum at all? I know the bodies are titanium and stainless steel but are there pieces of the light with aluminum? Just want to make sure I get a light I can handle, put in my mouth, etc. safely.

Thanks! :twothumbs

P.S. - Please also tell me about any other very good lights you know of that are not aluminum, especially that run on AA, because it might eventually be worth buying a non-aluminum light just for work, especially if I could convince my boss to expense it since it's for work...

Last edited:

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, if there is aluminum in these models, it's the driver pill so it should'nt be a problem since it's inside the head of the light.

Second, the mini is definitely ahead in terms of led. It has an XP-G R5 and the maratac has an XP-E Q5 so the mini should be noticeably brighter.

Third, these light are (in my opinion) not the most reliable. There is multiple threads here about faulty driver, thread play, mode-switching problems, whining noise, etc. so I think you should go with the one that offers the best warranty, the mini.

Next, if weight is a concern, the Ti mini is lighter. Not a lot of difference but it's lighter.

Finally, suggestion if your are looking for a stainless AA light: the jetbeam E3S. It's heavy as a brick but it's built like a tank. 2 levels, nice XP-G beam, rear clicky switch and since the level is selected by twisting the head, you can choose whether you want it to open on low or high. If I needed a light for work that can take some abuse, it would be my choice...

Hope that helps !

Dadof6

Enlightened
I've had my Maratac Stainless AA for about 4 months and find that I use it as much if not more than my other lights. It has been way dependable. But, the standard answer in these forums when it comes to choosing between two lights is simply "buy them both."

Rich

Hellbore

Enlightened
I just thought I should chime in here since I own 2 of the lights you are asking about: The Quark Mini AA Titanium and the Maratac Stainless AA.

I too am a sucker for what I consider "exotic" flashlight materials... i.e. anything that isn't aluminum or plastic :)

Let me just tell you, both lights are great, and they are virtually identical designs, so you are probably going to have to make your decision based on what material you prefer, whether titanium or stainless steel.

Good luck :)

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
It does vary from light to light, but people generally find the threads on SS lights are smoother than Ti lights, and this is significant on a light that is switched by twisting (it is less important on lights with a clicky switch).

Some (but not all) XP-G emitters have a "green" tint that some people dislike.

All my Maratac and Q-mini lights have been quite reliable, and I have several. At the price of the Maratac you could afford to buy two and carry both for when a battery goes flat at an inopportune time.

Last edited:

jonesy

Enlightened
Peak LED solutions sells lights in brass, stainless, ti, and aluminum. Single level only though, but pretty well made. I'm sure they have a AA one, but their site is not exactly user friendly, and they need someone who can spell check for them, but that's another issue. :rolleyes:

EDIT: found it, the Capitan. http://www.em-mgt.com/LED/El Capitan.html

You can also buy condos on the same site, isn't that awesome?

Last edited:

red02

Enlightened
Maratac SS has a tighter hotspot, thats about the difference. Oh, and its very shinny and includes an awesome pocket clip (much better than some of the home brew solutions). SS is harder than Ti, can be polished easier and may or may not rust depending on the grade of steel used. BTW 300 grade says next to nothing. After 4-5mo of EDC for my Maratac AA SS it hasn't shown a sign of rust...

The Qmini has better CS and is more floody. Ti isn't as conductive as SS and is more subject to scratches, but doesn't rust.

IIRC the cost is about the same.

Last edited:

Hellbore

Enlightened
You're right about the threads, the Maratac SS light has smoother threads. I still prefer to carry the Quark though because it's slightly lighter, the body tube is a bit smoother without the extra nooks and crannies for the pocket clip and lanyard ring, and I actually think the patina of tiny scratches on the Titanium is neat looking.

However, my Dad greatly prefers the Maratac AA Stainless light over the titanium. I let him play with both lights and this was his decision. He really likes the pocket clip a lot, and the smoother action and polished finish. I ended up getting him one. Every man should have a decent quality EDC light.

I can post comparison photos if you want

Hellbore

Enlightened
As promised:

Beamshots from approx. 6 feet away, both lights on High with fresh 14500 cells (because that's how I roll).

Left is the Maratac, right is the Quark. I tried to make the color balance accurate and I think it's very close, this is about how the beam colors look to my eye. Notice the Maratac is more of a standard LED cool blueish tint while the Quark has the signature green tint.
qminiaavsmarataaa1.jpg

Brothers from another mother?
qminiaavsmarataaa2.jpg

They are so similar, I don't see how you can decide, maybe you should just get both like I did LOL...

I will say this: The Quark is somewhat floodier. For me this is a good thing. I use this light primarily for close-up stuff. I am learning more and more than floodier = better for most situations. It's almost the opposite of what you initially think when you get into flashlights... at first you are wowed by throw but eventually you realize that for the average person, flood is more useful for the majority of situations. That, along with the lighter weight, the "cool" factor of Titanium, and the simpler more aesthetically pleasing body lines, are enough reasons for the Quark Mini AA Titanium to be my personal carry light over the Maratac.

To be honest though, the Maratac is definitely my choice to recommend to other people if we are talking about non-Aluminum. It's half the price of the Quark Mini Ti (I can convince them to spend $35 easier than $69) and basically accomplishes the same thing, plus some people really love the pocket clip. And it's very pretty.

There is just something about little shiny non-aluminum flashlights, I can't get enough of them! I'm already scheming about my next pocket light purchase... Will it be a Peak brass light? Or a copper Maratac AAA? Or something else? LOL...

Last edited:

syncytial

Newly Enlightened
The Jetbeam E3S does look good - it comes with an XP-G R4.

There is also the stainless ITP A2 - cousin to the Maratac and Quark. You can also find an Inova X1 in titanium. Lastly, there are also budget lights that fit the description, although I'd be wary of choosing one for the intended use.

Any of these lights might be fine, though from the description of the job, I might be more tempted to use one of them as a backup light, using a somewhat larger light as a primary. Only the OP can truly judge what is actually required as far as runtime and output go.

- Syncytial.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I'm allergic to aluminum oxide (I know it's a weird allergy and it causes lots of problems in my life). Exposure to even a tiny bit of aluminum oxide on my skin causes me to break out in a rash, and if I get it in my mouth I get airway constriction and if I am exposed to enough I could go into anaphylactic shock.
I believe you, but when a woman says she's allergic to nickel (and thus requires jewelry that's pure gold), I'm skeptical. I've never met a poor girl who's allergic to nickel!