Which Surefire for EDC??

jackthedog

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

I just recently started a thread regarding the E2DL or the TA20 and I thank everyone for their input. I decided to get the Surefire and then started looking at other models If I'm going to spend the money, I'd like to get the best possible light (for me at least).

So, that brought me to this final choice: Surefire LX2 or Surefire E2DL?

As I mentioned in the other thread, I would carry this light and use it for the general, all around nightstand light.

I'm leaning toward the LX2 because I hate having more money in my bank account, I mean... I like that it turns on to the lower setting then goes to the full bore 200 Lumens.

Just curious what people thought from their experiences or your opinions. Also, if anyone has a side by side shot, that would be appreciated.

Thanks!

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
there are many thread comparing the LX2 to the E2DL.

I first got an LX2, it had a faulty low mode. but i was able to give it a try for a day, I exchanged it for an E2DL. and im very satisfied with it.

main differences:
User interface- LX2= twist/tighten tailcap to turn on low, further tighten for high. half press tailcap for momentary low, full or hard press for momentary high. E2DL= click for high first, click or momentary press again for low.

output and beam are almost the same, as well as runtime, LX2 low is 15 lumens, and E2DL's low is 5, but it seems much brighter during use. theres also a thread about runtimes on low comparing the both, the test showed that the runtimes on low for both lights are not accurately stated by surefire, especially the E2DL.

of course there are the noticeable differences, such as tailstand, e-series' thinner body, cren bezel and tailcap. smooth vs. knurled body, and pocket clip.

so i think the biggest question is which UI do you prefer. for me, i love the e2dl's simple high/low clicky. also the thinner E-series body which makes it very comfortable in cigar style grip, along with its tailcap.

you cant go wrong with either.

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not own surefire.

But if I ever buy one for edc, that'll be E1L I guess. Maybe LX1 if it turns out to be nice and attractive. :devil:

sfca

Enlightened
I've said it often and I'll say it again. E2DL with the LX2 clip. :thumbsup: Perfect!

Keep in mind also that holding onto the momentary high for the LX2 can grow tiresome:
It takes significant pressure it takes to keep the LX2 on high - if your thumb lets up even ever so slightly the LX2 drops down to 25 lumens until you're squeezing the crap out of it again to get it back up to 200 - hardly practical during a traffic stop. You shouldn't be paying that much attention to your light in a safety situation, tactical or otherwise.

Some will point out that besides the momentary button in the rear, the LX2 also stays on by twisting the back - but this is very impractical for LE because the throw of the twist is WAY too long, almost 340 degrees of twisting to get from low to high beam making it a dangerous two-handed process or tricky and lengthy one-handed process in which the clip still gets in the way in either one.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you like to twist or click?

I really liked my E2DL, light press for momentary light, comes on high. press further and it clicks on. Excellent.

My A2L however is a twisty, it's ok, I probably would have liked a clicky though, easier to operate with one hand.

The drawback to clickies though is that they are more prone to failure.
I have owned 4 and 1 failed (eg.: it would go from high to low when i tail stood my light. A light bump would trigger it.) Surefire quickly sent me a new one)

experimentjon

Newly Enlightened
I do not have a E2DL, but I have an LX2 and a E1B Backup, which has a similar UI to the E2DL. Although I prefer to carry the E1B due to its smaller size, I believe that the LX2 would be better for my EDC purposes than an E2DL.

The main reason is the UI. Having the low come on first seems to be a lot more useful to me. And I don't have to hold the light against my leg to hide the high before getting to the low. (Hope that was clear.) However, I do agree that keeping the LX2 momentary on high is somewhat of a drag after a while, but I think it works fine, since I usually don't use the high for extended periods of time anyway in EDC roles.

workingmids

Newly Enlightened
Have Surefire's: L1, E1B, E2DL, & 6P. What makes a nightstand light doesn't make for a great EDC necessarily.

I find for pocket EDC the lower it rides in the pocket with a clip the less likely to snag a fall out, and tactical switches can accidentally be activated when sitting depending on clothes and body; so length is a factor too. For potential defensive/blinding light, or to simply illuminate, a monmentary high is preferable, with a lower setting a secondary condiseration.

I find it just the opposite for a nighstand light, I prefer a sub 8 lumen low, to preserve night vision, with the ability to advance easily to a high for potential defensive purposes. I also like a tailstand ability for a home/office selection.

Holding continuous pressure as opposed to clicking to maintain is very individual too, and a find the E series Surefires ideal, but some find the opposite or neither.

I am always searching for the perfect light... and though presently waiting on a few standard Quarks, my present favorite is a Fenix LD10, which I twist for low initial on settings for night use and tighten for turbo-strobe for EDC; sits low in the pocket, has knurled body, can tail stand. I'm looking for lower lows, with similar operations to the Fenix, and anticipate that a neurtal tint quark will be the perfect combination.

To answer your question, the E1B of the surefires is the best compromise, though the E2DL is a tie with the optional surefire diffuser cap to prevent the sharp optic end from clothes shredding. Like the L series, just not as much. Most Surefires lumen ratings seem conservative to the competition.

For the money try a Quark or Fenix first; less potential buyer's remorse.

Let us know what you decide and your post purchase after thoughts please. Best of luck.

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
Gotta agree with sfca, RE: the clip. For EDC if you're going to carry it in your pocket all the time, having it sit deeper in your pocket is much less conspicuous. Personally I wouldn't want the entire crenelated E2DL head sticking out of my pocket all the time in public. Both great light choices, but having the LX2-style clip on whichever you choose is a big boost to non-conspicuous EDC-ability in my opinion.

chris23

Newly Enlightened
I've never used the E2DL but I own the LX2 and it's my edc, things I love about it -the pocket clip as mentioned, I can easily twist it to constant on using one hand myself, and don't forget to buy the F04 Diffuser to use with it, most of the time if I take the diffuser I'll leave it in my left pocket just because it's easier for me to slip the lx2 in and out of my pocket more smoothly.

GreySave

Enlightened
LX2 or E2DL? Consider how you plan to use it. I carry the LX2 for night walks either with my dogs or alone. I like having low come on first as that is all that I need 90% of the time and high is only a short press away. Now there are times when being able to quickly lock the light on is preferable, but that does not outweigh the benefits of the LX2 UI for me for that purpose. BTW...You will be pleasantly surprised how far that 15 lumen low beam will throw and how long the batteries will last if that is what you use much of the time.

Now if I am going to be going out because the permieter alarm sounded it is either the E2DL or something more powerful with a forward clicky as I do not want to be playing with a twisty under those circumstances and I want high first.

As others have said the total output and beam patterns are essentially identical.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
I can contribute that I originally bought an E2D on the assumption that the scalloped tailcap would prevent an accidental switch-on even if the light was carried in the ready position. Experience has shown this was a valid theory- at least I've never had mine go hot in a pocket or elsewhere.

Simon520

Newly Enlightened
I have both.

I did low runtime tests on low; the E2DL is markedly less efficient than the LX2 on low. I carry the LX2; the low is sufficient for my purposes 90% of the time. High levels are essentially indistinguishable save for the E2DL being a bit more collimated and "throwy."

Both will run with CR123A rechargeable cells. The beam of the E2DL is more collimated; the LX2 is a bit floodier. You will have a bit of a tint lottery; my LX2 is greenish.

I consider the LX2's clip much handier than the E2DL. I don't like the lanyard attachment on the LX2. It appears fragile and cheap and I don't trust it. Removing it leaves a deep ring that looks plain awful.

Bottom line: when my wife goes for a walk, she takes the E2DL. The "high first" UI is perfect for her since she really uses it only when she's worried about something and the high beam is best at scaring beasts or errant vehicles.

When I go, I take the LX2. I use the light much more frequently to illuminate things, so the low first UI works better. It works similar to a piston design- press harder for more light so I get some satisfaction from the light. I also like the floodier beam of the LX2 and the more efficient converter.

I think that both are a bit big for EDC. To use a firearm analogy, to me an EDC light is like a concealed firearm; it should be small, unobtrusive, but powerful enough to do the job. Runtime (similar to magazine capacity) will be limited. The LX2 and the E2DL fall into the "rifle" category- more difficult to carry, so you would pick them if you know you're going to need a light. I use my LX2 when going out at night; it stays in my hand. My EDC is either an Aleph Mule or McGizmo Haiku.

Last edited:

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go with the E1B. You'll want something small enough to carry with you without much difficulty. What's the point of an EDC if it's too bothersome to carry?

yowzer

Enlightened
Even my E1B is too big (Length and diameter) for me to want to normally carry... a Titan would fit the EDC bill, though.

chris23

Newly Enlightened
I have to disagree about the LX2 being too big for edc, clipping it to my pocket I hardly notice it, (though I do notice it if I just stick into my pocket not using the clip);
even when at work wearing dress slacks is where I enjoy carrying it the most since it slides in/out of the pocket so easily; I also carry a streamlight microstream and that is unnoticeable in my pocket

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
I like that it turns on to the lower setting then goes to the full bore 200 Lumens.

I think this is what you should focus on. If you like low first / then high - go for the LX2. If you like high / then low - go E2DL.

Since you don't have a professional use for the light, it really comes down to preference. I don't think there's a right or wrong here - only what you prefer. (I prefer low / high, myself.)

Given what you said - I'd suggest LX2. (I have one, I EDC it and I really like it.) Either choice will serve you well in my opinion. Best of luck.