LOL, I got drunk and ordered 2 new torches

Bloke

Newly Enlightened
A bit of background.

I'm 48, a professional roadie/sound engineer/lighting tech, and have been blindly using maglites for more than a couple of decades.

I'm also a keen cyclist and my riding buddy went out and bought an LED head light for his bicycle. He showed it to me and the MASSIVE light output from such a small torch sent my head spinning!

That was a few weeks ago and ever since then I've viewed my gutless maglites with disdain

Ok so I started to google LED lights and most searches led me to this forum where I have been reading, and reading, and learning :D

I eventually narrowed down my needs to a Fenix PD30 R4 which will suit me perfectly for EDC and gig needs at the back of dark stages etc
I ordered one of those a few hours ago.. and a 12 pack of titanium CR123's

But I also want a longish throw torch for various other needs as I live in a rural area.. http://members.dcsi.net.au/gronk62/gronkos_stuff/My_Joint.html
and would love to replace my crappy old 2XD maglight

Soooo I had a few too many home brews tonight and ended up ordering a JETBeam Raptor RRT-2 as well

My credit card has taken a battering today but thanks to the amazing help I've gleaned from this forum I'm sure I won't be dissapointed.

I think I've become a torchaholic already :laughing:

X Racer

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF, and hide your credit cards! lol

You will love the new lights for sure, at least until you see something even better! haha...

KarstGhost

Enlightened
Home brews and torches! :twothumbs Congrats on your new lights, I think you'll like them.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Bloke, and :welcome:

I am quite sure that the combination of beers and credit cards has caused several flashlight orders among the members of this forum, so you are not alone! :D

Congrats to the flashlights!

Regards, Patric

HKJ

Flashaholic
Soooo I had a few too many home brews tonight and ended up ordering a JETBeam Raptor RRT-2 as well

Browsing flashlights while drunk, this is very dangerous pastime!!! :broke:

You know that RRT-2 is only a small flashlight, see this comparison:

With the RRT-2 you can nearly see a tree:
DSC_7683a.jpg

The RRT-1 is better, here you can see part of the tree:
DSC_7682a.jpg

A DereeLight aspherical concentrates the light much better:
DSC_7681a.jpg

But what really works is a HID, here the Titanium L35:
DSC_7696a.jpg

All the above pictures are from a old beamshot I have done. There are many never beamshots on my website, but I can not recommend that you look at them while testing the home brew!:crackup:

fabienne

Enlightened
Try not to apply for Paypal since most of the sale in this forum is using paypal, or is it the other way around ? :devil: :devil: :devil:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say "Don't drink and paypal!", but I stopped drinking completely around october last year and I never ordered as many lights as since that time to today! :crazy:

Well, I'm an addict by nature, I guess I had to have a substitute...

As for your purchases, the PD30 and the RRT-T2, they are not the worst and suit well together, one with a more universal beam, one little thrower. You'll enjoy those, the Raptor is of an excellent built quality!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice choice in new torches... I say start with the practical and impressive ones so the other lights will seem less attractive, but there's always something else...

I've been ordering more lights since I quit drinking... all that money went from one addiction to the next, so choose your addictions carfully. At least with flashaholism, you can see where your money went (literally)

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
the chances of receiving what you allegedly ordered at the correct address are inversely proportional to the number of "brews" you've had.
:party:

good luck. :whistle:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Bloke, and :welcome:

I am quite sure that the combination of beers and credit cards has caused several flashlight orders among the members of this forum, so you are not alone! :D

Congrats to the flashlights!

Regards, Patric

:whistle: thatll be me. triple checking the shipping address with my blurred vision, then waking up in the afternoon wondering if i had just bought another torch last night.

credit card + CPF + scotch= :broke:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
:whistle: thatll be me. triple checking the shipping address with my blurred vision, then waking up in the afternoon wondering if I had just bought another torch last night.

credit card + CPF + scotch= :broke:

Often I pull the trigger at friday or saturday nights. And these nights it also happens that a beer or two will be enjoyed...so I am not either completely "unguilty"...:D

Last edited:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF Bloke. Couple of good choices there although I would have gone with a JETBeam JET-lll PRO ST BVC instead if the PD30 for the simple reason that you can use rechargeables in the JETBeams. The JET-lll is the same form factor as the PD30, and with an 18650 lithium rechargeable you get 3 hours on high. Besides that, the JET-lll has 3 user definable output levels. The RRT-2 is one of my favorite lights. Nice high output and throw, but still easy to carry and also will take an 18650 for 3 hours of output on high. The adjustment ring is one of my favorite UI's.

Enjoy your lights....And hide your wallet now that you've discovered us. :broke:

Last edited:

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

Yeah you basically bought 2 similair torches, wait until you find a real pocket EDC and real thrower, the day your credit card wishes it hid in the shredder

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
the chances of receiving what you allegedly ordered at the correct address are inversely proportional to the number of "brews" you've had.
:party:

good luck. :whistle:

Or maybe this one? the chances of receiving what you allegedly ordered at the correct quantity are inversely proportional to the number of "brews" you've had.

What, credit card account is overdrawn???
Then reading the email: Order confirmation of 14xFenix TK45!...:crazy:

Last edited:

kiwiman3139

Newly Enlightened
Welcome Bloke,
You have a couple of fellow members reasonably close (Norm in Warragul)
and i am just over the hill.
Keep an eye on Trade show and Flashaholic get togethers section as we have periodic meetings to show off and tempt the wallet.
Stewart :welcome:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, welcome.

Second, you're gonna like it here.

Third, sell something, 'cause you're gonna need the money because..

Fourth, these will NOT be your last lights or your most expensive ones...it only goes downhill from now on..or uphill if you count prices..

Fifth, don't feel bad, I don't even drink and I've bought a helluva lot more $hit than you have..

Sixth, do not, I repeat, do NOT buy lights that don't take rechargeable batteries. It's a total waste of money, AND environment by the way.

Stick to a few battery formats, buy a few good rechargeables for them and a good charger and never look at batteries again.

Did I say, welcome to the forum?

Now, leave the friggin' cows alone. I don't want the meat going sour or something...

:D