Modified Mag with DX 5 LED module 1200 lumens

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
This one was my first brand new, didn't want to mess it up project. I had already experimented with some used Maglites that I didn't care to mess up. This one I told myself was going to be "IT". So I ordered this beauty from zbattery, planned the mods and went to it. It uses the $35 DX 5 LED 1200 lm module. Shortened the barrel to use 2 (18650), rethreaded the back of the barrel to thread the tailcap back on, added glass lens, opened up the light head to allow the module to fit. decreased the OD of the module at the top to allow to fit in the head, made a spacer for the 18650 batteries and deep tail cap mod. I have to say, this module is really nice. It has a tight beam with spill.

DSC00921.jpg

DSC00911.jpg

DSC00907.jpg

DSC00905.jpg

DSC00904.jpg

661randyg

Newly Enlightened
if thats the r2 led 1200lumans, thats the same one i put in a older 500 double 18650 batt light. very cheap and my brightest led light to date low 500ma mid 1amp high 2amps x2 meaning with 1 battery all amp rateings stay the same with half the light output. but with 2 batts 2times brighter and 2xmore power consumption.

so bright even on low to bright for practical applications, but when i hear a noise in my yard at night its my first grab.

as many lights that i have (alot) since i built this one, i have no desire for a powerfull hand light good throw and decient flood.

junglewarrior

Newly Enlightened
Hi 350xf,

When did you order your module? I ordered mine on 1st Aug and now they're showing out of stock!

Love your work. Im in the same boat as you with the first mod - i'm going to stick with the standard 4D set up for now though.

Cant wait to get it in there...

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi 350xf,

When did you order your module? I ordered mine on 1st Aug and now they're showing out of stock!

Love your work. Im in the same boat as you with the first mod - i'm going to stick with the standard 4D set up for now though.

Cant wait to get it in there...

It seems like mine took less than 2 weeks to get here. It's hit or miss with DX. That's the only thing that sucks about them. They are the cheapest though!
Thanks... Right now I am just building a few lights with different reflectors and LED combinations to see which ones I like best.

The_Police

Enlightened
did you have to do much cutting/ resizing to get that 5 Cree module in there?? and did you just move the stock Mag bulb holder down and tighten it? or did you just cut it off?

I'm curious as to how much work it took to do that mod because I was thinking of "possibly" doing something like that in the future...

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
did you have to do much cutting/ resizing to get that 5 Cree module in there?? and did you just move the stock Mag bulb holder down and tighten it? or did you just cut it off?

I'm curious as to how much work it took to do that mod because I was thinking of "possibly" doing something like that in the future...

Not a lot if you have a lathe. If you are doing it with a dremel may be much harder, but I'm sure it can be done... Although I'm sure it will look pretty crappy too! Unless you have a steady hand.
When you put the module in the Mag head you will see a wider section stick out, you will need to make that secion smalle OD to allo it to slide in. On a D mag head you will also need to widen the barrel hole so the bottom of the module will slide in all the way.

The stock mag swicth gets cut off and wires soldered to the + and - terminals. You can't just move the bulb holder down since it is part of the switch.

The_Police

Enlightened
Not a lot if you have a lathe. If you are doing it with a dremel may be much harder, but I'm sure it can be done... Although I'm sure it will look pretty crappy too! Unless you have a steady hand.
When you put the module in the Mag head you will see a wider section stick out, you will need to make that secion smalle OD to allo it to slide in. On a D mag head you will also need to widen the barrel hole so the bottom of the module will slide in all the way.

The stock mag swicth gets cut off and wires soldered to the + and - terminals. You can't just move the bulb holder down since it is part of the switch.

We have a lathe at our shop. :D when i say the light holder, I meant the spring-loaded thing that you put the bulb in and tighten the collar over the bulb. then just put a lock-washer in between the allen screw and side of the light tube to hold it down. When you say "widen the barrel hole" do you mean the top of the Mag battery tube where the head threads to the body?

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have a lathe at our shop. :D when i say the light holder, I meant the spring-loaded thing that you put the bulb in and tighten the collar over the bulb. then just put a lock-washer in between the allen screw and side of the light tube to hold it down. When you say "widen the barrel hole" do you mean the top of the Mag battery tube where the head threads to the body?

1. Yes, the bulb holder gets cut off (the thing with the spring)... Be careful as you don't want to sever off the flat piece of metal that sticks out of it, you'll solder a wire to it as it is the negative terminal of the switch. Cut it all the way down at the base of the plastic where the support fins begin. You can do this on the lathe!
2. Barrel hole- I gave the wrong description.. It's actually the light head before you get to the barrel. See if pic helps! I am not sure that the opening of the top section was really necessary!

DSC00951.jpg

The_Police

Enlightened
that picture helps a lot ;D did you have to cut the actual 5 LED unit any??
that makes me want to make one of those even more now.. lol

Last edited:

averagejoe81

Newly Enlightened
May I ask what the "thread size" is to re-thread the tube of a standard D maglite is?

Thanks.

The_Police

Enlightened
May I ask what the "thread size" is to re-thread the tube of a standard D maglite is?

Thanks.

do you mean the threads per inch? I know the Mag bezel is 20 threads per inch, I'm really sure the tailcap is too, (someone correct me if I'm wrong)
or are you asking for the pitch, major/minor diameters of the threads?

averagejoe81

Newly Enlightened
Thanks.

I wanted to have a 3D mag body cut down and I have someone that will do it for me. He asked about the thread on the tailcap and I didn't have the answer, now I do.

Thanks again.