A good reason to have one, two, three...more?

so241

Newly Enlightened
Didn't know quite where to post so, since most of my lights are leds, thougt I'd try here first. Going on a 10 to 12 day hunting trip to Colorado:nana: and was wondering what lights would be good. This is what I have: Inova T-4(old style lense); Two mag chargers 1)modded to mag11(?) has the WA1160 bulb, 2)unmodded mag, thinking of putting the new terralux conversion in it, test it out: Surefire 6p modded with the malkoff drop-in and rechargeable 123s: Streamlight led stinger, unused as of yet, bought it off our office voucher: Led lenser to use around the camp, there's one down: G&P scorpion r500, no extra bulb yet. Need to travel light, however won't sacrifice that to know and SEE where I'm going. Thought of going straight leds, no bulbs to change and descent runtime however, with no charger in field, thinking having one running off of batteries would be good because can always take extra batteries. Would like to have JetBeam m1(x), course wouldn't we all like to have what we want?:D

carrot

Flashaholic
I think a headlamp and your favorite handheld is all that is necessary. But I've never gone hunting. Do you intend to use your high-powered lights for the "deer-in-headlights" effect?

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely have some primaries, I'm thinking regular CR123's for that 6P/Malkoff. When you travel afield, you never know what sort of emergencies may evolve, so always better to be able to power your gear beyond what you think you may need.

A headlamp is an awesome accesory to have. If you need to build a fire or carry an injured friend or family member in the woods at night, you'd appreciate the hands-free ability.

I like to think in layers. "If I just grab my keys, I have a mini-led on there. Then a light in the pocket, then one on my belt, then one in my jacket, then one in my personal carry bag, then one in my vehicle." If you're ever caught, you can use the smallest personal light to get to the next one, and ultimately back to your vehicle/shelter/campsite whatever.

Sounds like you're more than prepared. Have fun!

so241

Newly Enlightened
Never thought about flashlights in layers, good idea! Hunted for years, never in Colorado, just local. Flashligh strictly for seeing and tracking should the need arise, never for "cheating", lol. No insult taken on the "deer in headlights" comment, I understand what you're saying. If nothing else would like to see that record setting bull elk on that last walk out when it's too dark to legally take it. Then again, maybe I don't want to see that, :ohgeez:.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
If nothing else would like to see that record setting bull elk on that last walk out when it's too dark to legally take it. Then again, maybe I don't want to see that, :ohgeez:.

No! You definitely don't want to see that after legal shooting hours. One of two things will happen, and neither of the two turn out good.

1.) You will see this emoticon- :devil: on your shoulders, and that never turns out good, at least not for me anyway.

2.) If you some how manage to resist the little red feller, and his temptation atop your shoulders, you will be doing this- :sick:.....:sick2:......:green:......:hairpull: for at least a couple of weeks following the hardest decision you've ever had to make in your life :D.

Seriously though, I would carry two reliable lights with me when I entered the woods/forest, and plenty of flashlight food; you never know. It's not quite as important while in route on the morning hunt because you can wait for daybreak if you need to (this would mess up the hunt, but no harm other than that), but after an evening hunt, you could possibly be stranded in the dark all night, if you know what I mean. Good luck on your hunt either way, and are you sure you couldn't use an extra person? :whistle:.......... j/k :D

Last edited:

tabaliah

Newly Enlightened
I always carry two reliable, primary battery type lamps whenever I go into the woods, and one headlamp. My headlamp is not a thrower, I am a climber so I don't need to see very far. It works as well for when you want to clean up that kill that you shot while legal, but getting dark fast. I don't rely on rechargeable batteries unless I can recharge them quickly and efficiently, which I can't if I am lost :) I prefer lithium primaries because they pack more punch and are smaller and lighter, but alkaline works as well, unless it is really cold. My 2c worth . . .

I may be new to power-flashlights, but not to the woods :)

.michael

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
So241,

I would take a look at the HDS Systems EDC Executive lights. Small, bright, versatile and rugged. Use the lower brightness levels for most tasks and save the maximum for short busts for looking way ahead or down into a canyon. I do night search and rescue and they are indispensable.

Henry.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
So241,

I would take a look at the HDS Systems EDC Executive lights. Small, bright, versatile and rugged. Use the lower brightness levels for most tasks and save the maximum for short busts for looking way ahead or down into a canyon. I do night search and rescue and they are indispensable.

Henry.

Edit: Nevermind

Last edited:

BarryG

Enlightened
Maybe take a Quark along for the looong runtimes on moon mode. My 123x2 states 30 days. You never know what could happen.

Barry

druidmars

Enlightened
I've never gone hunting but I'd agree with others who've stated that a headlamp is a must. If you're doing things, not just strolling but really doing things to have your hands free is priceless. When you need to see a little farther you just light up the flashlight of your choice for throw. That would be a cool set up to keep you light. If you can (or want to), take two flashlights: a small to medium for most of that time when the headlamp would prove insufficient and a better/bigger/bulkier one if you want to see far away.
Good luck :)

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I don't shine lights around the area where I hunt because I don't want to disturb any game animals, which could negatively effect the success of a hunt. You don't need much light to see about 10ft in front of you when you have a thick canopy overhead that blocks most ambient lighting, but your area may be different. I modified one of my Quark lights with a red emitter because the game animals I hunt are bothered a LOT less with red light than they are with white light. I also carry a reliable backup light just in case my primary light fails for some crazy reason.

A headlamp isn't needed for myself, but I have a hands free way of carrying all of my gear, and my game animal out with me.

Last edited: