Indium Smart

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
The creation of the RCR-123s and the Indium killed some people financially. My old partner in this contacted me and the project has been further developed. I think the Indium was the most expensive development project that was every attempted on this forum.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crikey! This project was around when I first joined this place. I remember it as being an ambitious, but tantilizing take on personal illumination.

If it could finally come to fruition, the possibilities would be intriguing.

Keep us updated, please.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will try and post here and over at my forum about this.

There are more new prototypes. If there is any progress I need to get set up with a selling license again. Patents are in place by my old partner.

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will try and post here and over at my forum about this.
There are more new prototypes. If there is any progress I need to get set up with a selling license again.

does the light still look as it does in the old pictures?
regardless, this will be a awesome light if it ever comes to full production fruition.

cdosrun

Enlightened
Wow, I was really excited by the concept when I saw it mooted previously - I think I still have the programming application on my computer.

In principle, is the design still similar in that emitters can be substituted easily and the module reprogrammed?

I await with eager anticipation.

Andrew

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
What stopped it was simply running out of money.

We were pretty far ahead of the curve back then. It still is with the ability to dictate input and output values to accept different power sources and changes in LED technology by the user.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
what kind of emitter modules do you think will be available? imho there should be the usual Cree XP-G module (output and smooth beam profile), then a Nichia 183 High Cri Emitter (for superior tint and color rendering), and perhaps a Cree XM-L(output and floody beam profile) when it is released.

I don't really see current luminous emitters as suitable, nor do I see luxeon as suitable as only Rebel TTFCs are available now.. no K2s.. but of course, it's not my decision.

Last edited:

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I don't know if this will go forward or not. Just seeing what people thought.

If you remember the original it would not matter what led you used, you just change the input and output values.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
JSB,
Can you update the 1st post with a short description of what the Indium Smart is. A lot of newbies have joined the forum since the project was launched who know nothing about it.

maskman

Newly Enlightened
I'm in! The Indium would definitely rock the flashlight world.
Well I don't know if this will go forward or not. Just seeing what people thought.

If you remember the original it would not matter what led you used, you just change the input and output values.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow....really? Jon, this would be amazing news. Finally, everybody who has an opinion on that perfect UI...if only it had super-blaster bright mode followed by SOS followed by preceisely 71 lumens...THEN it would be perfect....No, you fool, 74 lumens, followed by slow strobe....everybody can be happy.

Ah, complete user adjustability without having to go though the click-torture method...PLEASE make this happen!

OCD

Enlightened
JSB,
Can you update the 1st post with a short description of what the Indium Smart is. A lot of newbies have joined the forum since the project was launched who know nothing about it.

Please do! I am curious! :popcorn: :poke:

Edit:
I just googled it....and all I can say is SWEET! :party::hitit::twothumbslovecpf :bow:

Last edited:

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! It would be great to see the indium become real after that long time. Back then it was a really innovative and today, well it still is :)

Eric

I remember seeing the protos at SHOT several years ago. Maybe six years ago?? What an interesting concept it was then....and still is. Jon, I'd love to see this project continue. We could call it the Lazarus Project. Back from the dead. :D