Mini AA success story!

combinatorix

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

I know you guys enjoy stories, so here I'll go. I wish I had pictures, but I misplaced my camera. I just bought a Quark Mini AA NW (it arrived today, in fact!) to replace the good old fenix EO1 on my keychain. Although it's a little bigger, I was pleasantly surprised at how small and light it was, and for now I think it should work fine.

Anyway, today I also got a new stereo head unit for my car (a Pioneer, with CD, USB and AUX inputs for my '05 civic). I had some errands to run and some people to see after work, and by the time I was free it was already pretty dark out. Nevertheless, I couldn't wait to install the new head unit, so I collected all my tools and headed out to the parking lot.

I haven't reached the full flashaholic stage yet, so I armed myself with what I had - a 2 AA minimag, one of those windy-rechargable lights with 3 5mm LEDS, my EO1, and my new Mini. I think I have some more older lights but don't know where they are. Of course, I brought all my normal tools as well :). The first step was disconnecting the car battery, which is of course why I needed a light source other than the car's interior lights.

I turned on the rechargeable and the EO1 and lay them on the seat as I worked, while I put the Mini in my mouth. Within a half hour or so of disassembling the center console, the rechargeable had mostly died and I really had no desire to crank it up. The minimag was so dim, I didn't even bother using it. The EO1 stood strong as usual and provided some ambient (albeit purply) light.

The NW mini of course, worked perfectly - great color rendition - the low setting worked perfectly for most of the job, the medium setting worked great when I went under the hood to do the battery and also in the car to find a fastening clip that popped out and fell into the bowels of the dash. I didn't even need to use the high - although I'm glad I have it! I did have to go inside to sort some things out and do some soldering, but the light worked great for everything in the car.

I did drop the mini on the asphalt (fell out of my mouth), and although it now has a few chips in the HA coating, it still works fine. And now that I've broken it in a bit, I feel better about putting it on my keychain - where it will take untold abuse.

I tested it out, and so far the new head unit works awesome - plays off my thumb drive, ipod, radio sounds great - still need to try a CD (but who uses those anyways!). Thanks you 4sevens, for helping me get things done at night!

-Combinatorix

Burgess

Flashaholic
Great Story !

Glad to read about someone actually USING their flashlight ! ! !

:thumbsup:
_

Hellbore

Enlightened
I used to always put my Jetbeam C-LE, then my Quark Mini Titanium AA, in my mouth when working where I needed both hands.

I worried about chipping my teeth though, and it wasn't real comfortable either.

Recently I took about 1.5" of thick heavy-duty heat shrink tubing and shrunk about 1/2" onto the rear end of my Quark Mini, and squashed the excess that hangs off flat, making a "bite piece" for the end of my Quark. The flat heat shrink tubing goes between my teeth and is easier to hold onto, and safer for my teeth :) I'm really liking it. I can post pics if you want to show you what I mean. Works great if you can't be bothered to carry a headband with you all the time, or when you just forget the headband or something...

I have steadily become more and more of a believer in the value of the small lights that you can carry all the time in your pocket. They end up getting used the most often because they are always on hand when a need arises. I have lots of great lights but despite how great they are, most end up being shelf queens. The best flashlight is the one you have with you :D

Xacto

Enlightened
[....]I have steadily become more and more of a believer in the value of the small lights that you can carry all the time in your pocket. They end up getting used the most often because they are always on hand when a need arises. I have lots of great lights but despite how great they are, most end up being shelf queens. The best flashlight is the one you have with you :D

There are no flashlights that are to big, just your clothing style doesn't fit. That is why I have a Maglite 6D with a sling attached.:D

Cheers
Thorsten

vudoo

Enlightened
Great story. Nice to hear lights being used as they should be.

Just a pointer, if you think working with a decent light is great wait until you get something like a Zebralight so you are handsfree. I have two and it makes working on my motorbike at night just so much easier. No need to drag around a fluoro work light either. :twothumbs

combinatorix

Newly Enlightened
Great story. Nice to hear lights being used as they should be.

Just a pointer, if you think working with a decent light is great wait until you get something like a Zebralight so you are handsfree. I have two and it makes working on my motorbike at night just so much easier. No need to drag around a fluoro work light either. :twothumbs

Yeah, I'd just have to get over the fashionable image a headlight projects into my mind. =p

Right now I'm thinking about getting a 2AA or bigger LED light, maybe an LD20 or something similar for a full-size feel. Not sure if I want to make the jump to CR123, although the prices are really not that bad online (considering I now usually buy energizer lithium AA/AAAs anyway), and the performance is a very clear gain. Problem is I feel I'd have to take the full jump and get a full size AND a keychain CR123 - and then who knows what next...

tandem

Enlightened
Yeah, I'd just have to get over the fashionable image a headlight projects into my mind.

No need to suffer fashion failure. Assuming you belong to that part of the population comfortable with a baseball cap, just reverse the clip on a short light such as the LD10, slide on to the brim of the cap, and voila, instant headlamp.

LG&M

Enlightened
Great story,Thanks. You are right what ever doesn't kill you will make you stronger.