Airport Panic and Hysteria By Photographer!

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
On a recent business (Location for us) trip I had to remove my Photon Fanatic La Petite Killer from my neck at the security checkpoint.

Of course, I always get taken aside for additional screening. After gathering my camera equipment, I put it back the way I like it for travel.

My wife, who is my post production (Workflow) director, artist, second camera and model went ahead to get overhead room.

Almost to the to the gate, I realize my La Petite is not with me!

I freaked out! Sonovabitch! My Light!

I ran all the way back to the screening area, blew past the do not return signs, and ask out loud: "Has anyone seen the flashlight I had around my neck?!"

Blank stares from all TSA employees. I said, it is on an olive drab lanyard. They all say no, no flashlights are here. One woman asked what it looked like. When I told them it is about 1/2" tall, things got very silent.

I call my wife on my cell, and she tells me: " Oh, I grabbed it for you while you were being searched!"

I put my phone away, and told the TSA, "Never mind my wife has it." They had to have thought I was nuts.

When I got aboard the plane, sweat dripping from my forehead, the crew jokingly wanted to see the cute little flashlight. Within minutes this bounced from the TSA, to security, the FAA, and to the Captain of the aircraft.

Once on the plane...where is my @&%$# Xanax! HONEY!

Man, one more thing like this, and I will make the no fly list!

I post this here knowing it will be understood.

Best wishes,

Redled

PS...I sometimes wonder if DHS was notified, jets scrambled, NORAD re-set to DEFCON 4, SECDEF's phone ringing on NEACP, The JCS's assembling, NSA tracking my phone, AF1 being pushed back from the hangar at Andrews, engines spooling up on HMX1 (Marine One,) agents speaking in to their sleevs, an aide quickly walking thru the Roosevelt Room en route to the Oval Office to inform POTUS-"Sir, we have another one!" The President yells: "Sonovabitch over a flashlight, where is my @#&% Xanax!" "RAHM!"

Over a Flashlight!

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

WE need PICS .... Why no videography of the incident ?

LUV your PS bottom part.

Glad it turned out in your favor !

BTW .... Thujone .........
What does your sigline say ?

When are you gonna progress to Bar-codes down there ?
~

Connor

Enlightened
Can't be long now until they ban high powered flashlights on airplanes.

After all you could use them to blind some low flying birds to drive them into the jet intakes.
Evil, evil flashlights. :candle:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL
It will probably take a few days before we can see the security footage on YouTube... at least you didn't make the news, so you shouldn't be pointed at too often in the streets...

Little side note: one or two small metallic objects don't always set off the metal detectors (depending on equipment sensitivity), so why not just "forget" it around your neck? Especially If you're going to get the extra screening anyways.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm sure I'd have been storming back for the light, too. I'll bet someone started speaking into their lapel mic at the sight of you. Glad all turned out well.

Geoff

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
LOL
It will probably take a few days before we can see the security footage on YouTube... at least you didn't make the news, so you shouldn't be pointed at too often in the streets...

Little side note: one or two small metallic objects don't always set off the metal detectors (depending on equipment sensitivity), so why not just "forget" it around your neck? Especially If you're going to get the extra screening anyways.

Good question. Since I never remove my watch, I seem to get the extra attention. Once in a while nothing happens, and I walk thru.

Can you imagine how much worse my panic would have been if I noticed my Rolex not on my wrist?!!

I love that little light!

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a trip back from Miami I left my HDS 170T in the screening tray then walked over to put my shoes back on then began to walk to my terminal when I realized what I did. :ohgeez:

Fast track double time back to the area and luckily the trey was still there with my light in it. :huh:

Lets just say it scared me and I'll never do that again.

red02

Enlightened
Must have been a slow newsday... leave it to the news to stir up fear.

Last edited: