Warning: Scammers, Ebay and PayPal.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
My brother received an email that appeared to be from Ebay. It asked for all his info, giving justification for the request. He fell for it and found himself unable to access his Ebay and PayPal accounts. They had changed his passwords and the secret needed to have your password emailed to you, if you forget. Who ever did this is very good. The email can't be printed or forwarded. Don't give up anything to unsolicited emails. Even if they appear legitimate.
oldgrandpajack

LightChucker

Enlightened
I sure am sorry to hear that this happened to your brother. There have been a lot of warnings about this scam lately. It's too bad he didn't know about this.

Chuck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
Almost all companies have disclaimers saying they will never ask for your password or CC# through e-mail. So, if you ever get one of these e-mails, you'll know it is fake. Sorry about your brother...

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another famous scam included a link to a site called "paypa1.com" (with a numeral "1" instead of a lowercase "l"). When people tried to log in there, the scam site collected their name and password.

mrorange

Newly Enlightened
Can he get the header info from the emails? I have gotten about eight of these type emails recently, about half stating they were from ebay and half from paypal. They look dead on as far as colors, designs, etc, someone is pretty creative with their HTML skills, but when you check the long form header info, you can see it's not from either company.. I forwarded the header info and text of the emails to both Ebay and Paypal, maybe they can follow up with the ISP's in question via the IP addresses listed.
Not sure if you can spoof an IP address in an email header, any ideas anyone?

Is his Ebay ID the same as his email? A lot of these spoofers are getting peoples email by lifting it from auctions on Ebay. If his ID is the same as his email, have him change it to something else; I had to do this recently. I hated to do it as I have had the same Ebay ID for years, but I was sick of getting the fake emails asking for my info.