OK so I'm hooked...

Bloke

Newly Enlightened
... next torch suggestions please :D

This week I became the proud and happy owner of these

ledlenser-fenix-jetbeam.jpg

They cover 90% of my "requirements"

All my future purchases will be "coz I want 'em" :laughing:

I'm finding myself wanting a 4Sevens quark mini Ti so that will cover the teensy torch end of the scale... unless ya's can edumacate me to somethin' else?

I have absolutely NFI on what to go for at the super ultra mega retina frying end of the scale though. I'd really like somethin' I can melt cows with at over 500 metres :crackup:

I like the "look" of these...
201061153547110.jpg

.. but really don't know if I should consider other options

Please discuss :popcorn:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may need to step up to HID to get the output you're looking for. You might be happy with an Olight SR-91, but the cost is around $400.00. Not sure how much you're willing to spend.

joe1512

Enlightened
I guess I am the only one that finds it a bit disturbing that you are buying flashlights just for the heck of it. But anyways...

Have you considered HID lights? Without spending tons of money, they are the easiest way to burn cows. The stanley HID 35W is pretty cheap and well known.

LED lights will be a lot more expensive. The Olight Intimidator is pretty powerful at 2200 lumens and a great reflector. Uses 6x18650 pack.

The XTAR Howitzer is a lot cheaper and has similar output but not nearly as focused for throw from what I hear.

Or, for even more power, get one of these:
http://www.tacticalleds.com/Fox-Fury-Nomad-3600-Lumen/LED-Utility-Lights/FireSAR/-p8946006.html
:)

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a high-end light nothing beats a custom or a Mag mod. Mag mods are cool because most people think, "Meh, another MagLite" until, BAM! You turn it on.:crackup:

Until a big HID gets pulled out, then it's like :eek:.....:drool:.....:faint:......:D

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
A surefire or any p60 host. Once you start piecing different things together, your imagination goes crazy and you get hooked even more. Malkoff this... Nailbender that... Bore this.... Triple that... Cerakote...

Bloke

Newly Enlightened
I guess I am the only one that finds it a bit disturbing that you are buying flashlights just for the heck of it. But anyways...
Not disturbing at all. Very normal for humans to develop interests in various things, and then start collecting 'em.

I'm not a great guitarist but I do like collecting effects pedals.
Here's some I made into a collage under the glass top of my sheds coffee table

coffeetable.jpg

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bloke,

Totally off topic....

Nice coffee table idea, I see what looks to be a 6550, 300B? or is that a 5R4?, 12ax7, maybe a 6L6 or 6V6, and some tube boxes.

Now theres an idea.... use a tube as a current source for a flashlight! Nice old VOX pedal too!

BTW, welcome to CPF.

Bloke

Newly Enlightened
Bloke,

Totally off topic....

Nice coffee table idea, I see what looks to be a 6550, 300B? or is that a 5R4?, 12ax7, maybe a 6L6 or 6V6, and some tube boxes.

Now theres an idea.... use a tube as a current source for a flashlight! Nice old VOX pedal too!

BTW, welcome to CPF.
I don't even know what some of those tubes are. They don't work and just came in a big box of various loose tubes when I bought a THD Univalve a few years ago

They add a nice touch to the "artwork" even if they don't work :)

You should look into a high power incan light... you'll love it.
I haven't done any research on those yet but I assume they would be a fairly large light?

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix TK45 won't throw anywhere near your range of 500 meters, at least mine doesn't. I've said it before and I'll say it again, don't buy *any* XP-G powered light if you need to throw a beam a far distance. In general, I've yet to be impressed by the throw of any XP-G light, and that certainly includes the TK45.

I'd also suggest an HID, perhaps a spotlight. When it comes to throw distance versus dollars spent, it's tough to beat an HID spotlight.

Bloke

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix TK45 won't throw anywhere near your range of 500 meters, at least mine doesn't. I've said it before and I'll say it again, don't buy *any* XP-G powered light if you need to throw a beam a far distance.

Good advice, thanks for the info mate :)

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want an honest opinion - I have bought (and sold) tons of the highest powered lights on CPF - and if you are looking at something that will satisfy you for a long time try a Varapower 2000 for about $200ish its an orsome thrower (the best I have ever had) it will kick most 35W and under HID lights - has a dimmer for long run times, rechargeable batteries.
another alternative is the eagletac M2CX4 (3x Cree XRE-R2) its a very under rated light here on CPF and IMO is one of the best compact throwers out there (it out throws the jetbeam raptor 1 and it is one of the throw kings).

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Vudoo has a M2CX4 for sale on the MP, as well as a Varapower 1000. These would both be excellent lights for getting you started in the higher power / modded leagues.

+1 for me on a HID. When we have that BBQ at your place, I'll bring my 55W HID spotlight. Then you'll know bright!

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
glad your liking your lights!
Id say break in your new lights first, then get an idea of what your looking for next. the UI on the PD30 and RRT-2 are very different. size, and beam pattern as well. guess what im saying is slow it down.
CPF has a wealth of info. you can spend months, even years researching here.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Vudoo has a M2CX4 for sale on the MP, as well as a Varapower 1000. These would both be excellent lights for getting you started in the higher power / modded leagues.

+1 for me on a HID. When we have that BBQ at your place, I'll bring my 55W HID spotlight. Then you'll know bright!

ha ha ok this sunday my place ;)
I did mention my VP2000 would beat a 35w and lower - but i recon my VP would give your 55w HID a run for its moola as I have the dome off (which doubles the lux and makes the hotspot half the size) and I have a 2.5" fivemega reflector that gives me a throw of 950+ meters :nana: well i tried to beat ur 55w :D

Last edited:

vudoo

Enlightened
I really don't know why the Lamda lights are not mentioned more in the forums. Both the VARA1000 and VARA2000 I have kicks the pants off any other modified mag I have seen not to mention the great build quality.

Both of my lights have been tested in a sphere for a true 1000 or 2000 OTF lumens.

Bloke

Newly Enlightened
glad your liking your lights!
Id say break in your new lights first, then get an idea of what your looking for next. the UI on the PD30 and RRT-2 are very different. size, and beam pattern as well. guess what im saying is slow it down.
CPF has a wealth of info. you can spend months, even years researching here.

Excellent advice and something I've been thinking about a bit today.
The way I see it is I did heaps of initial research and decided to focus on CR123 lights to start with.

I have 3 nice lights now which are good in their own ways.
I tried my RRT 2 again tonight and went for a walk. It was pissin' rain last night so I didn't really get to try it out properly. I gotta say I'm really impressed with the throw of it now especially considering its a small torch.

I don't think I'd really ever need any more throw than it has, but I can still see myself buying something a bit bigger and gruntier down the track.. just for the hell of it :D

For another "teensy torch" option, you might consider the IlluminaTi, reviewed here by Selfbuilt:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/256314

Now this seems to be where most of my interest is developing. Small single cell lights. There's just so many to choose from.
That is a really nice little light and would be great to have on my key ring. The problem I've had with anodised key ring torches in the past (mag solitares) is they get beat up and squashed pretty quick
The raw finish of titanium I think would hold up my better.
I'm also interested in the 4sevens quark mini Ti

So many choices
drool.gif