Looking for a good dog walking light

Zen Ape

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys. It's been a while since I was last on here, but when I was it was as a first timer looking for my first light. After a lot of research and help from you, I wound up getting a Quark 123/2 and it has served me very well since. Well up until a couple days ago anyway when the tail cap went belly up, but 24/7 was all over it and shipped me out a replacement, so I haven't lost my joy or my toy.

It's been my single light and aside from wowing people when putting it on Max, I generally use moonlight mode to keep from waking people or stubbing my toe when I need to navigate the house at night ala trip to the bathroom. It's time for me to expand however and give my single flashlight a friend.

Specifically I'm looking to stay compact and hand/pocket friendly, yet go up in power. I take my dogs walking every night and need something that could light the dark areas, help me find their poop to bag it up (urban enviroment) and melt goblins if need be of which their are plenty (homeless and crack heads).

Thus far I'm looking at the Olight M21. I was drooling on the M30 until reading about the low mode strobe effects which won't do. Any other suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
The Dereelight DBS MC-E M is an excellent flashlight and makes a great walker on
medium. You will have a useful low mode and on high a brilliant flood.

Mine runs on 3xCR123s with the 500 short ext. and is the purest beam I've seen.

'Hope this is some help.:)

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF.

I read your thread with interest as we have three dogs now to walk. In the past i have used my edc E1E as a walker in the dark here in Alberta. We don[t have homeless or crachheads here in Sherwood Park, so I cannot advise of your needs for safety. However, for just walking the dogs, a simple SureFire E1E does not blind the dogs, and my SureFire E2DL on the belt for any other need might be a good combo. The E1E is lower light which does 90% of my needs daily without being blindingly bright. And it always works. Every time.

The main thing is to get out for a walk.

Festivus

Newly Enlightened
I love my rrt-0, it illuminates my cardboard box and crack pipe well.

Last edited:

HIDblue

Enlightened
Thus far I'm looking at the Olight M21.

Great choice! I just actually used my M21 while walking my shepherd around the neighborhood at night. Good build, simple UI, fits in the hand nicely with the pocket clip removed, and it's very bright. I'm running an AW 18650 rechargeable battery in it for guilt-free nightly use.

Or check out the Lumapower D-Mini VX Ultra. Relatively the same size/smaller than the M21 and appears to be brighter on max than the M21.

I have both and can definitely say that you can't go wrong with either. :wave:

BRO

Newly Enlightened
You might want to look for a used Surefire A2 Aviator, usually around $90.00 on the market forums. The low LED light portion of the light is great for walking at night in the house as well as walking the dog. I'd recommend the white LED lights, but the other colors would work well I'm sure. And when you hit the larger incan light, the dark corners light up plenty good. My A2's find the poop every-time :).

Skyeye

Enlightened
After many years of walking dogs I have come to the conclusion that the best light for this purpose is the HEADLIGHT.:thumbsup:

I used good hand flashlights in the past but these make use of one of your hands most of the time which is not good when handling dogs or other animals.

I finally got smart and invested in several headlights my favorite of which is the Coleman micro. It takes two cheap button batteries and puts out a lot of lumens. It is so light you don't feel it on your head or hat and has a high and low setting.

So, try the headlight.:twothumbs

Xak

Enlightened
You said you wanted a pocketable light, but you were considering the M30? You sound like you want something different than your Q123^2 (a great light I have one myself), but I think whatever you choose in a 2x123 configuration isn't going to be so much different as other 2x123 lights enough to really WOW you.

I would suggest the Thrunite Catapult V2 if the M30's size didn't bother you. It's a blaster for sure and with a simple twist of the head it's on low (which is still 250 lumens). You do use rechargeables, right? The Catapult V2 with a pair of 18650's should do the trick. I want one myself, BAD, but I'm in between jobs right now and have to restrain.