I've planted the seed!

gadgetnut

Enlightened
I\'ve planted the seed!

I was camping with my wife and son this past weekend. While we were sitting around the campfire, I needed to go get a few things from my truck, so I pulled out my piece-o-crap no name 2AA to light my way. As I did, I stated (out loud of course), "Man, I really need to invest in a good flashlight". She heard it and never said a word. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif That's a good sign. Anyhow, I'll be starting out with a Streamlight TT 2L. I know it's not quite in the same league as the Surefires alot of you have, but ya gotta start somewhere.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Re: I\'ve planted the seed!

Start with a SF M6 ... it will save you a lot of money on the road that is going to lead you there anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

onelight

Enlightened

Wise choice gadgetnut last time we went camping we had some surefires with us,but we used the Streamlight TT's cmg ultras and arcs 99% of the time,I find the TT's are hard to beat for camping lights.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don't be embarressed about the Streamlight TT 2L, it's one of the finest dual purpose lights available. While you are enjoying it, think of the warm fuzzy feeling you have with over $ 100 still in your wallet so you can buy the 3C TT, the 1 L TT, a 3AA Luxeon Task Light, and change left over..............

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

In my humble opinion, you CAN NOT go wrong with the Streamlight Twin Task series (based on owning 4) nor the TL LED series (based on all I've read about them).

Simply AWESOME lights at AWESOME value!

rumar

Newly Enlightened

Thinking about getting a bunch of SL TT for back-up EDC. Had someone walk off with my SF L4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif . The good news is work is replacing it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif!

Don't know enough about the TT's. Which one(s) would you suggest for EDC for a computer geek?

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Many flashlight companies are just as good as Surefire, but, with a different market focus. My mom no longer complains about my 'hobby', though she may complain when I plunk down a bunch of money on one flashlight. She has her own Eveready 2 LED Folding Lantern, and has my Cyan Arc LS and regular Infinity. She did not appreciate these LED lights fully, until the massive blackout. She grew up during the Great Depression (born in 1918).

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

rumar- For EDC, it'd have to be one of the little ones, i.e., the 1 L, or 2 L. I have two of the 1 L's and a single 2 L. The 2 L is brighter (Xenon) , and has a longer run time, but the 1 L is still neat, smaller, and very useful. Both have 3 LEDs giving a nice long run time, and adequate light for many purposes.

I have still not replaced the original 123s in these lights after several months of use.

Get em both, about $ 50 total.

xrayzebra

Newly Enlightened

I love my Streamlights, nothing wrong with them.

If I needed my wife's permission to buy a flashlight or knife I'd be making comments like "Man, I really need to invest in a good wife who appreciates that good tools are worth the money you spend on them, and who also realizes a boy needs his toys."

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

No... I would never say that. A wife who goes camping with you and your son has to be a good wife, whether she appreciates those things or not. She will eventually.

When I told my wife I bought her a $30 flashlight and a $70 flashlight, she had a funny look on her face. When I explained regulated circuits and LEDs, she said, "Wow, that's really cool." When they arrived and she got to play with them, she really dug it. (She is the proud new owner of an Arc AAA and an Arc LSL.)

JOshooter

Enlightened

Welcome to the brighter side! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

gadgetnut

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
xrayzebra said:
...If I needed my wife's permission to buy a flashlight or knife I'd be making comments like "Man, I really need to invest in a good wife who appreciates that good tools are worth the money you spend on them, and who also realizes a boy needs his toys."

[/ QUOTE ]I know you were kidding, but to set the record straight, I don't need to ask her permission. It's a fine balance kinda thing. I've been happily married for 16 years, and it's because I've learned the fine art of compromise (and tactfully waiting for the right time to make such purchases /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif).
I'm glad to hear most of you feel the SL TT 2L will be a good choice. From what I've read, it seems like a good light.

xrayzebra

Newly Enlightened

Hey, I'm not accusing you of being hen-pecked. I just sneak my stuff into the house when my wife isn't looking, and then when she notices me using some new gadget, I say, "oh yeah, didn't I show you that? yeah, I got it, uh, gosh, when was it? Cool, huh?"

You don't need to ask permission, you just sneak the stuff in and hope she doesn't notice, too, huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Over the years, my wife has stopped asking when I acquired something or how much it cost me - she'll just say, "Oh, that's a nice knife (light, CD, hifi component, etc.). Never seen that one before..."

It's a kinda running joke on our house. Luckily she is good humored.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

I usually make it a game for my wife to figure out what the new item in the house is.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Jason

richpalm

Banned

[ QUOTE ]
xrayzebra said:
Hey, I'm not accusing you of being hen-pecked. I just sneak my stuff into the house when my wife isn't looking, and then when she notices me using some new gadget, I say, "oh yeah, didn't I show you that? yeah, I got it, uh, gosh, when was it? Cool, huh?"

You don't need to ask permission, you just sneak the stuff in and hope she doesn't notice, too, huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Over the years, my wife has stopped asking when I acquired something or how much it cost me - she'll just say, "Oh, that's a nice knife (light, CD, hifi component, etc.). Never seen that one before..."

It's a kinda running joke on our house. Luckily she is good humored.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes mine is not so good-humored... I just go to the post office early A.M. after I leave work, get the package, open, trash shipping box, light(s) go in my computer case, whatever, and go on the high shelf. (she's 5'1")

She *did* admit that mags are crap, though when she needed a light and found my 10X. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

"A good pilot doesn't fly into a thunderstorm." Why ask for problems?

Rich

gadgetnut

Enlightened

Hehe...Yeah, I guess every guy has is own special way of getting his toys. I've done pretty good so far. I've gotten a sizeable gun collection, lots of nice audio/video components, a constantly upgraded computer system and plenty of tools and such, all without having to sneak around. I usually end up with whatever toy I want, and I keep the peace. Remember, "If momma aint happy, aint nobody happy!".

Overamp

Newly Enlightened

The Streamlight TT 2L is a very good choice for camping. Each member of the family should have one. It's got the leds for serching through suit cases, coolers, cars, tents and it's got the "holy s--t, what was that!" late night noise identification beam.

gadgetnut

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Overamp said:
....and it's got the "holy s--t, what was that!" late night noise identification beam.

[/ QUOTE ]LOL...That's a good name for that feature! Yeah, after looking in to it, I think it will be a good all-round light. I figure I'll use the LED's 99% of the time to conserve battery power, but it's nice to have the Xenon just in case. One thing I know I'll use it for is deer season. It's pitch black at 5:00 am when I start back through the woods to my stand. I usually go out a few days ahead and mark my path with those little thumbtacks that have the reflective paint on them. If you hit those with a beam, they light up like a runway! I figure the Xenon will be great for that, because I doubt the LED's will throw enough light ahead of me to light them up at a distance.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

g'nut....sounds like a great back yard expiriment! Let us know the results! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmmm, maybe I should marry my girlfriend but thier are some negatives:

Oh, I am carrying one of your handguns right now, wanted to see how the CZ carries compared to my Sig.

Hey, I got one of flashlights on me right now.

Did you that you benchmade carries on the waistband better then clipped to the pocket, and the clip almost disappears under the belt.

Hey, the pocket Casio camera is really cool, can I carry it around for awhile.
------------------------------------------------------------
There are good things about having a girl that apreciates fine carrying tools but the negative is that she wants to play with them too. At least she gives them back.

gadgetnut

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Roy said:
g'nut....sounds like a great back yard expiriment! Let us know the results! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]That does sound kinda fun. As soon as I get the light, I may try it. I wish I had a way to host digital pics. I could take some of the "experiment".