Cheap but bullet-proof AA EDC for non-flashaholics

Hellbore

Enlightened
I know questions like this have been asked many times, but perhaps not this exact question, so bear with me. A little background info:

I am the family's main flashaholic, but several other family members have some level of interest in LED flashlights and appreciate a useful, practical LED light. In fact they are usually most jealous of my AA pocket-carry lights.

In the past, I have made gifts to certain family members, like my parents, sister, etc. I have usually gifted them a less expensive light, like an Ultrafire or Elly whatever DX brand AA light I can find that got good reviews, or a Romisen, etc. They are usually very pleased with the light... at first.

The problem is, every time I have given them a light like that, it has eventually developed contact issues in the switch, or in the head, driver board, etc. and would either flicker or not work at all, and eventually they end up giving up on the light and they don't carry it any more.

I would even be skeptical as to whether a slightly higher-priced light like a Quark Mini AA would be suitable for them, because I have had contact issues with mine as well and needed to give it some special attention to get it running reliably again. I find my non-flashaholic friends and family will give up quickly on a light that is flaky. It's just not worth it to most people to bother with it if it doesn't just work every time.

So my dilemma is, is there an affordable AA light that is small enough for EDC, but not plagued with reliability issues that would discourage a non-flashaholic? It doesn't have to be the brightest or best, but it needs to have good battery life, be affordable, and be virtually idiot-proof. Things like having a sealed head, for example, would be preferrable... I have had family members get curious and unscrew the head of the light and either damage the LED or cause intermittent contact issues :\

It just would be nice if there was a small, affordable, AA light that is idiot-proof and just works every time no matter what... If I knew of such a light, I would make sure my whole family had one!

UberLumens

Newly Enlightened
Everyone i have given a nitecore ezaa have loved it and come back with stories about it saving the day.

They can be found for $35(very worth it) and just released a new version with xpg led

fishx65

Enlightened
1aa Energizer Cree. 16 bucks at Target and all 4 of mine have been perfect.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure which part of the world you are in,I find for idiot proof lights,the Terralux Lightstars are great.The one in the picture is rugged and a doddle to use.You press it to switch it on to high,touch it to lower to half power and touch again to play with the strobe,you can miss the options by pressing for on and pressing for off.Costs are very reasonable even here in the UK it was less than £20.The second pic is a light that we sell in the big sheds in the UK,simple on and off and very bright,you can also get it in the half size of the pictured one,again a rugged light comes with a 3 year warranty.

No need to spend big money for a straight forward light,you can keep the change towards lights for yourself.

Lightstar100.jpg

Flair60.jpg

Both above are AA cell.

The A3 EOS that a poster above is of no use to you it runs on AAA but brill light but not for non flash people.

I endorse the poster above mine(fishx65),he is thinking the same way as me,get one of the big shed lights,you get a decent warranty and easy to use and in most cases do a really good job with no frills.

Last edited:

Hellbore

Enlightened
Well i'm in America, I've never seen the Terralux entire lights before, only drop-in modules. I will have to look into whether we have them here.

Thanks for the suggestions though about the Terralux and Energizer, I think you guys are spot-on, a big box store type of light without complicated frills would probably work best for most of my family and friends.

What is best for a flashaholic is not necessarily what is best for the a average person :D

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well i'm in America, I've never seen the Terralux entire lights before, only drop-in modules. I will have to look into whether we have them here.

Thanks for the suggestions though about the Terralux and Energizer, I think you guys are spot-on, a big box store type of light without complicated frills would probably work best for most of my family and friends.

What is best for a flashaholic is not necessarily what is best for the a average person :D

Batteryjunction.com carry the Terralux range.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
You didn't indicate what "cheap" means $$$-wise, but the iTP A2 EOS is a nice AA light for about $23.

It takes a single AA, has 3 modes (L/M/H).
I carry one regularly.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
How about a QMini AA. Another slightly cheaper option might be the Maratac AA or the ITP AA. All easy twisties.

Geoff

ASheep

Enlightened
+1 on the A2, I EDC one, and regularly loan it to non-flashaholics. The biggest problem I've had was people going "how do I turn it off now?"
It's a simple, rugged and well priced light, and I haven't had any reliability issues.

entoptics

Enlightened
+1 for the iTP EOS A2 (or A3 for keychain duty with AAA batteries)

I bought an A2 for my dad, and he vastly prefers it over his E1L SureFire for daily use. I've only got experience with the A3, but the design is identical, and I've had zero troubles with the 2 A3s I have.

notsofast

Enlightened
Is the terra lux really 100 lums out the front?? And a good light??

I bought the AA as a gift. The light seemed well built. (in China) Claimed to put out 220lm but is more like 150. It has a very artifact laden beam. I wouldn't buy another. I would go with Romisen or ITP.

BRO

Newly Enlightened
Fenix LD10. Reliable, small, affordable, slightly dated but who cares, it works and it works well. If you go with AAA, I've had my LD01 in on my keys for a long time and no problems what so ever (aluminum version for carry). Again, works well.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the AA as a gift. The light seemed well built. (in China) Claimed to put out 220lm but is more like 150. It has a very artifact laden beam. I wouldn't buy another. I would go with Romisen or ITP.

The casual user would have no idea what on earth you are talking about,thats what the thread is all about.Me and you and other posters know about your comments but joe public would be more than happy with a little power house compared to the still mainly bought bulb torches.;)My 25 year old son thinks the Terralux is amazing and keeps one at home to walk the dogs and find the cat in his garden at night,he has no interest in other lights at all and thinks I am crackers buying so many,he calls me a sad old git.:D

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
+ 1 on the Terralux.

Built like a tank and harder to scratch the finish off than more expensive lights in my experience. Never needed to clean the contacts either.

I like this new model... hmmm... I thought I was done with lights under 50$