Time To Move On

GreySave

Enlightened
With the addition of the 4Sevens G5 and a SureFire Fire / Rescue I think my stable is complete. Yes, I know that there will always be brighter and better lights with new features, esepcially from folks like 4Sevens, PTS, and SureFire. But the wide variety of lights that I now have accomplish the tasks I need them for and they will do so for many years to come. I have lights that can run for multiple nights on one set of cells if the need arises. I have lights with huge amounts of flood and lights that throw farther that I can see clearly. I have cool lights, neutrals, and warms (Thanx 4Sevens!). I have 123A, 18650, and AA capable lights. There are penlights and Maglites with LED conversions. I have lanterns that can be pocketed (Coleman Exponent 123A) and multiple room illuminating Sportsmen Extremes. Also headlamps with full flood beams and others with decent throw. This world would never have opened up to me without this forum.

I'll still be around from time to time but I think my buying days are largely over as I move on to other areas of preparedness. With that in mind I want to thank folks like Carrot and Blacklight (From the lantern forum) and many others here who educated my either directly or indirectly on these amazing lights, batteries, chargers, batteries and battery safety, and so much more. Vendors like Mike at PTS, the folks at 4Sevens, Greg at Brightguy, the folks at OpticsHQ, Steven at the old Tactical Supply, and others who I cannot recall without reviewing a stack of receipts (A really BIG stack well hidden from the wife) who were all gracious at answering questions to the point of pulling out stock and checking individual features.

This has been a great place to be and by far the best forum I think I have ever visited. VERY few negative incidents as compared to others, so give yourselves a great big pat on the back. It is great to be with folks who shared the same interest, sometimes to the extreme :grin2: Well done Sasha!

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Good luck with wherever you choose to go in the future.

But I think like the rest of us you've caught the bug and you'll be back one day. My interest wanes from time to time but I always find my way back here.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I hate to see you go, and I'm not trying to be negative when I say this, but eventually this will happen to all of us in one way or another. Whether it's the realization that you seem to have found, or something altogether different. Good luck in the future with whatever hobbies you partake in, and stop in every once in a while :wave:.

Last edited:

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm subscribing for your reply that will read " I had to add this light for X reason"

Just when I think I'm out I get pulled right back in.

After I get the E2L-AA I'm done...

Hellbore

Enlightened
I dunno man...

Over the 7 years it has been since I joined this forum, I have "moved on" several times, only to come back later and re-visit this hobby.

Hopefully if you ever come back, CPF will be here :D

HunkaBurninLove

Newly Enlightened
I dunno man...

Over the 7 years it has been since I joined this forum, I have "moved on" several times, only to come back later and re-visit this hobby.

Hopefully if you ever come back, CPF will be here :D

Sometimes I never learn and liken it to a bad relationship: no matter how many times I'd fight or get mad at my girlfriend, I'd always come back to her. :devil:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
there's much to learn and experience in life such as other EDC items knives ,"hardware", bikes, camping, computers, etc.
As you go out into the "unenlightened world" you can still spread the LED gospel to the masses. Quite important work IMHO.

Remember that you probably know more about the most significant development since the wheel, the LED, than most of the greatest minds in the world! all things for a reason, don't be at all suprised if you have a chance to make an impact a future event or place due to your LED soujourn/experience.:wave:

m3flies

Banned
I have also been thinking about this for a few days GreySave. With my HDS 170t, 140 twisty, EagleTac T20C2 MKII, Fenix PD30 R2, Quark 123 R5 regular, and Quark mini123, I find no reason to buy other lights. Though I enjoy reading post that are informative, interesting, or just plain funny. I think if I continue to do so. It will just entice me to buy more lights, which I just don't need.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

Sorry to see you go , GreySave ..........

Don't stay gone too long .............

It will be hard to catch up if you do .

~

Foxfyre

Newly Enlightened
Take care and stay well lit :wave: .

Psst... He'll be back, just you watch...

No one can resist the power of the bright side of the force :laughing: .

GreySave

Enlightened
LOL. This post will make some of you proud since it means I am "back." That is really not the case though. Like I said, I will be around, but it may be once a week or two at most instead of three to four times a day, I'll be lurking much of the time, and I'll be looking for new information on things like batteries and perhaps some special deals on items other than lights themselves. I may not even hit the LED forum on any regular basis. Thus I really wanted to thank everyone for bringing me out of the dark and into a very fascinating world.

Part of my reasoning is that:

1.) This forum is EXPENSIVE! Yes, I have the bug and probably at least $2,000 invested in lights. I really do not want to add up the price tags because I am probably quite a bit low. The more I stay the more I buy!

2.) LEDs have topped out for now. By that I mean that for the moment they have gone about as far as they can on two or three primaries and one 18650. I tend to shy away from anything beyond that because the risk of making a mistake that could lead to a melt down just gets greater with more cells.

3.) Time....I am invested in far too many projects and programs right now. I have to cut back somewhere and I can probably save an hour a day by not visiting here as much as I normally would.

4.) I need to take some of the money I was spending on lights and start putting it towards some other items in the area of preparedness. That includes some long term food storage and other items as I want to work my way up to being able to shelter the family in place for about 6 months if I had to. Right now I am at about 3-6 weeks on some items and perhaps two weeks on others. No, I am not a survivalist. I simply do not like the way things are headed in the world right now and our area is also past due for "the big one" which includes items like a tornado outbreak, heavy wind damage, or an ice storm that could knock out power over a wide area of the county for a month or more. Throw in a good Pandemi just for fun and things can go downhill fast. Sooo, I think its time to beef up that side of things a bit.

Keep the faith

red02

Enlightened
LOL. This post will make some of you proud since it means I am "back." That is really not the case though. Like I said, I will be around, but it may be once a week or two at most instead of three to four times a day, I'll be lurking much of the time, and I'll be looking for new information on things like batteries and perhaps some special deals on items other than lights themselves. I may not even hit the LED forum on any regular basis. Thus I really wanted to thank everyone for bringing me out of the dark and into a very fascinating world.

Part of my reasoning is that:

1.) This forum is EXPENSIVE! Yes, I have the bug and probably at least $2,000 invested in lights. I really do not want to add up the price tags because I am probably quite a bit low. The more I stay the more I buy!

2.) LEDs have topped out for now. By that I mean that for the moment they have gone about as far as they can on two or three primaries and one 18650. I tend to shy away from anything beyond that because the risk of making a mistake that could lead to a melt down just gets greater with more cells.

3.) Time....I am invested in far too many projects and programs right now. I have to cut back somewhere and I can probably save an hour a day by not visiting here as much as I normally would.

4.) I need to take some of the money I was spending on lights and start putting it towards some other items in the area of preparedness. That includes some long term food storage and other items as I want to work my way up to being able to shelter the family in place for about 6 months if I had to. Right now I am at about 3-6 weeks on some items and perhaps two weeks on others. No, I am not a survivalist. I simply do not like the way things are headed in the world right now and our area is also past due for "the big one" which includes items like a tornado outbreak, heavy wind damage, or an ice storm that could knock out power over a wide area of the county for a month or more. Throw in a good Pandemi just for fun and things can go downhill fast. Sooo, I think its time to beef up that side of things a bit.

Keep the faith
Good luck, I know exactly what you mean. Pretty addictive place once you get a taste of some of the quality lights.

Its always just one more light... maybe that will be the last one.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Cycle:

1) -started out as a lurker, and read many, many posts, before tentatively joining CPF...

2) -started threads, asked questions, bought lights...

3) -spent too much money, had too many lights...

4) -took some time off...went from checking CPF several times a day to thinking about it, but just checking it maybe once a week, and then only in certain subforums...

5) -let my mouse wander, opened up a few other threads, wondered if such-and-such emitter has been updated, or if the Luxeon lottery is any kinder ;)...

6) -got pulled in again. Can we really get this much runtime? How is this reflector? How are some of the CPF folks doing...?

7) Oh, man! It's three A.M., and I haven't eaten dinner yet! I need a break from CPF for a spell...

--RINSE AND REPEAT--

Even though many of us take breaks from the forum, it is the wonderful store of knowledge and sense of community that keep us coming back.

But, there is something very zen about simply stepping away and enjoying what you have. I have been satisfied with my lights for months now, and, I will be satisfied once more, as soon as I attain my brand new-

:whistle:

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard they are going to release a very cool flashlight made with carbon fiber and titanium alloy, you should take a look. :naughty: One can't have enough flashlights.