Nitrolon vs Aluminum, high heat performance

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was out tonight using my surefire G3 with P90 lamp installed and I couldn't help but notice how hot the bezel became after 5 or so minutes. That got me thinking, I wonder if a 9P or C3 would offer improved performance, even if very little, over the nitrolon body and bezel of the G3, with their aluminum bodys and bezel? I know incan's don't mind heat but since aluminum dissapates heat better I'm wondering if they would perform better? I never ran a P91 but surefire claims 20 minutes burn time and this graph shows alittle over 14 minutes with the G3, and the member post my same question on the bottom of the graph. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2748945&postcount=20 Has anyone ever done a compairson of nitrolon vs aluminum or any incan veterans weigh in on this?

carrot

Flashaholic
Incans should be more efficient when heat is trapped in the body.

E: Simple logic really: an incandescent works by heating up a filament to the point where it glows white-hot. It's obvious that trapped heat helps it to sustain high output.

Last edited:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast

E: Simple logic really: an incandescent works by heating up a filament to the point where it glows white-hot. It's obvious that trapped heat helps it to sustain high output.

Carrot, thanks for the reply but I'm not sure what you're saying. I mean, I understand what you're describing I just don't understand how it ralates to my question on which one performs better.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast

Trapped heat inside flashlight body doesn't do much for incand performance but trapped gas inside bulb envelope does.
Influence of 200F heat trapped inside body to 3000F temperaure of halogen or xenon gas inside oprating bulb is way way too small to think about.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
My sense is that trapped heat is only going to cause potential problems with overheated cells.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
My sense is that trapped heat is only going to cause potential problems with overheated cells.
This is my only concern as well. I finally sold off my last nitrolon SF and now all of them are aluminum ones, but I've noticed that my cells can get extremely hot with extended runs. I imagine it could perhaps be slightly worse with the nitrolon bodies ... :shrug:

Last edited:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you guys still think that aluminum would perform better than nitrolon when using lower heat lamps like MN15, P90, etc or do you think that the difference would only be noticeable with lamps that out putting out much more heat like a P91?

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you used an MN15, probably sufficient heat would get out through the metal TurboHead.