Top flood flashlight SSC P7-D?

marinesoup

Newly Enlightened
I have been reading quite a few postings in CPF and keep getting conflicting answers.
I'm looking for a really good (what most would define as one of the top rated in quality) flood flashlight with 2 or more modes. From what I have read people say some are good but act up when battery life reaches about half.
I have read that the SSC P7-D type flashlights are mostly recommended but can anyone suggest to me a really good solid flood type flashlight around $100-$150 that runs on 18650's be it with SSC P7-D or another type emitter?
Looking for big flood!
TIA

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
SSC-P7-C is rated 700-800 LED lumens.
SSC-P7-D is rated 800-900 LED lumens.
The -C or -D is a rating of brightness not floodiness.

By flood do you mean just a bigger hotspot or no hotspot.

The P7 and MC-E is more floody than XR-E type flashlights.
But flood depends more on the reflector than the LED.
3C Mag P7 left 52 mm reflector, 1*18650 MTE P7 right 38 mm reflector. Both lights use the P7 LED. The smaller reflector makes the MTE more floody.
P7magvsMTE.jpg

Elektrolumens makes some MC-E lights with 20 mm boom reflectors that are very very floody. Note NO HOTSPOT in the beamshot in the link. True flood. But single light level only.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showpost.php?p=2393810&postcount=96

The Zebralight H50 headlamp has NO reflector and is the floodiest of them all. Though with an older LED and 1AA it is not very bright. When I need a very even flood I just take the reflector out of my Mag P7.

The P7 LED requires 3.25V-3.75V depending on Vf. When you add the requirements of a multimode driver it can be over the nominal 3.6V of a 1*18650. While the light will still run with 4.2V of a freshly charged battery, it might start to dim before the battery is drained.
My direct drive EDC-P7 pulls 2.8A from the battery.
My 5 mode MTE P7 pulls 2.1A from the battery.
Show how much a multimode driver affects output.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i build 3xp7 light from Der Witchel kit, awesome light, as floody as it gets, can light up football field. i use DW 6 mode driver, and 4x 32650 li ions, i have not noticed any battery acting up, when it gets dimmer i recharge, if i don't it will continue to dim up untill cell protection kicks in, than lights out.
initially i dual bored 4d mag to accep 6x18650, but later i swap host, now i use 3d + 88mm extension (turns out 4,5d + flash cap, as long as 5d) with 4x32650 cells.
entire build cost me around 300 give or take 20

very practical light, i take it camping with me all the time (among other lights) but this one gets most of the use.

imo you can't find better flood (but it still has very practical throw) light than Der Witchel kit for the price, and quality of his components are superb.

marinesoup

Newly Enlightened
I'm actually looking for no hotspot for the flood but with at least 2 modes.
I want to clear a path at least 90 degrees without having to take off the reflector and blind myself.
A 200+ meter throw would be great!
Am I asking too much?

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm actually looking for no hotspot for the flood but with at least 2 modes.
I want to clear a path at least 90 degrees without having to take off the reflector and blind myself.
A 200+ meter throw would be great!
Am I asking too much?
yes..
unless you interested in towable 5000w hid

marinesoup

Newly Enlightened
yes..
unless you interested in towable 5000w hid

Ok... so what would the throw be on a light within my price range that isn't hid?
The throw isn't really too important in the light I'd like to get as I already have some good throwers. I'm really looking in the opposite direction but would still like to see more than 10 feet ahead of me if you know what I mean.
Thanks for your input.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

I would recommend (if you can find it - post a WTB in the custom B/S/T) an older moddoo triple LED P60 drop-in. He made some with XR-E with low/medium/high and also with narrow to wide optics. Mine have narrow optics and have reasonable throw and good flood. Virtually no hot spot but LOTS of light. Different from a P7 or MC-E in better throw with good flood.

THen you could use it on a 6P (bored for 18650 probably) or 6P clone.

If you're considering a 6P-type host (or bigger) you might look into whether one of Gene Malkoff's floodier drop-in modules would work for you.

Here's the link to his website...
www.malkoffdevices.com

I have one of his neutral white P60 drop-in modules (flood beam pattern), and it's pure flood. When walking in the woods or camping, it illuminates the entire scene for about 120 degrees (60 degrees on either side of the beam axis). No hotspot, just a beautiful -- and useful -- flood of light.

marinesoup

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for the delay people. I really appreciate all of your inputs into my query but I'm not as enlightened on everything there is to know about flashlights and homemade builds of my own.
I'm looking for what you would describe as the best " throw " type flashlight out of the box under $250.00 out there today.
I wish I knew as much on the subject as most of you, and I am learning.
Thank you once again

BTW... The beam shots of the Tri P7 DSWOI + DSXOI, 3 x D LiION, UCL lens were awesome. Very impressive!

Last edited:

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Plenty of info above for you to investigate further, and here is some more:

Shiningbeam's MG P-Rocket with the SST-50 led is getting some good reports at the moment (Bryan should be getting some more of the cool white versions in stock soon).

IIRC the SST-90 LED is even more floody than the SST-50 and can take more current (and therefore produce more light) just so long as the heat sink is up to the job. For $250 you may be able to get something custom made to suit you better (possibly different reflector/optics may get results closer to what you want).

Beware of unsubstantiated claims for light output, they are all too common, unfortunately. Look for independent tests, or OTF specs from reputable manufacturers (not theoretical emitter figures which are what you regularly see on ebay and other "cheap" sites such as DX and KD).

recDNA

Flashaholic
i build 3xp7 light from Der Witchel kit, awesome light, as floody as it gets, can light up football field. i use DW 6 mode driver, and 4x 32650 li ions, i have not noticed any battery acting up, when it gets dimmer i recharge, if i don't it will continue to dim up untill cell protection kicks in, than lights out.
initially i dual bored 4d mag to accep 6x18650, but later i swap host, now i use 3d + 88mm extension (turns out 4,5d + flash cap, as long as 5d) with 4x32650 cells.
entire build cost me around 300 give or take 20

very practical light, i take it camping with me all the time (among other lights) but this one gets most of the use.

imo you can't find better flood (but it still has very practical throw) light than Der Witchel kit for the price, and quality of his components are superb.

I've seen beamshots. It is amazing. Congrats.

Sounds like a Fenix TK45 would do the job within your price range. TK40 if you wanted more throw.

Last edited:

marinesoup

Newly Enlightened
I already own the Shiningbeam's MG P-Rocket with the SST-50 led (nice light btw) but it's more of a thrower than a flood for sure.
Also just bought the Thrunite Catapult v2 and it's an amazing thrower.
Seems almost everyone is stuck on flashlights that throw well and have outragious lumen outputs.
I really haven't seen very many flashlights that are specifically set up as floods other than HID. I'd really like to stick with the LED and 18650 if possible.
Unless I want to go to a kit or a mod of somekind, I guess I'm SOL for an out of the box good flood flashlight.
Cheers