Great cheap booklight!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to read at night, and have tried many booklights. This one is inexpensive, and is a great value:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003LJFT4O/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I don't advocate buying it at amazon necessarily; I just found this link to be handy. I got mine at Wally's for around 5 bucks, if I recall correctly.

What's the big deal about another book light? This: it uses a totally diffused, no artifact/rings 5mm led with a warm tint, that's what. And, it's powered by 2 AAAs, which will run this sucker forever. It's also very bright, brighter than any other similar light I've tried.

It turns on when you open it, and shuts off when closed; no switch. Fits into my M-Edge Kindle jacket nicely. I've been using the M-Edge mighty-lite for awhile; it's not bad. Quite blue, goose neck arrangement. Much more expensive, and doesn't work as well in any department on it's single AAA.

Just felt compelled to share this diamond in the rough.

:)

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm intriguing. Normally I ignore book lights because they have terrible tints often, but you say the tint is really good?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The brightness and tint are so good on mine, I wonder what the led is. Warmer without yellowness; neutral white. It's definitely diffused, so no hotspot. I wish this led was available for E01 style lights; I'd grab 3 right now. I've never seen a 5mm like this one. Mine is very bright, and I'm using nimh cells with lower voltage vs alks.

Quension

Newly Enlightened
Yours is model 17212 like that one? There's a 17205 that mentions it uses a Nichia LED, but runs on CR2032s. I can't find an AAA version on Jasco's site for these, and it's tough to find online in general. There's also a 17228 3-pack floating around.

I wonder if these are now discontinued, for special retailers/markets, or what...

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
For long running lights I try and stay away from button and coin cells too. I saw a cap light made by energizer that intrigued me that takes 2AAAs instead of coin cells.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
IIRC Nichia does make warm/neutral tint 5MM emitters... for some strange reason I have never seen one used in a flashlight:thinking::thinking: thanks for posting this.

Backpacker Light

Enlightened
All the women in my family received those as Christmas gifts two years ago! I had almost forgot about them. I decided on them because they took the aaa batteries (no button cells), they came in cool colors, plus they were only $5 at Walmart. I only found them up front in the cash register aisle's.

I heard some good positive comments that they were liked and useful.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm..there was recently a member who started a thread with his interest in a book light, maybe a can find that thread and link him here.