Talk me out of getting a Fenix TK45 - but name an alternative!

xamoel

Newly Enlightened
Hey,

as the title already says, i'm planning on getting a Fenix TK45.
The things i'm looking for on my next purchase:
-high light output
-good UI
-durable, waterproof housing
-high runtimes
-not TOO heavy and large

so far, the Fenix TK45 seems to match all those requirements perfectly!

any idea of an alternative (i know of the jetbeam RRT-3)?

any reason why i should NOT get the TK45?

HKJ

Flashaholic
If you want a bit more throw, the TK40 might be better.
Here is a comparison:
Tk40, TK45
DSC_3421a.jpg
DSC_3422a.jpg

Or maybe the Catapult:
DSC_3423a.jpg

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK45 has a lot more parts that make it work, which means it has has a naturally higher chance of failure, I have also heard that the battery magazine isnt too sturdy, it might not survive a drop plus the fact that have to use bloody batteries.

Get a Thrunite or the Jetbeam.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand why the TK30 gets so little love around here, I feel that it's superior to both the TK40 and TK45.

Melson

Newly Enlightened
ebow86 I would love to see more reviews of the TK30 just to help me in justifying the purchase.

But I think until I get into a LE related field I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Colorblinded

Enlightened
I don't understand why the TK30 gets so little love around here, I feel that it's superior to both the TK40 and TK45.
Superior in what way? Clearly the AA batteries have appeal here and other than that the TK30 and TK40 are quite similar.

I've been wanting to try any of these larger Fenix TK series lights though. The only thing close that I've tried is the Sunwayled M40A which may or may not be of interest to you.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
ebow86 I would love to see more reviews of the TK30 just to help me in justifying the purchase.

But I think until I get into a LE related field I couldn't bring myself to do it.

It uses the same head essentially as the TK40, it just uses a superior battery configuration (2 or 4 CR123's or 1 or 2 18650's). So if you look at some of the reviews on the TK40's performance, the same applies to the TK30. I highly reccomend checking out the TK30, there's lots of info on it here just do a search.

Slickseth

Newly Enlightened
If the OP can afford the price for the setup. Don't forget the 18650s and charger. Nothing wrong with it, we just need to know what kind of budget the OP is working with.

I think the TK45 goes for about $225.

Granted, the 18650 setup will cost a few bucks, but single-use alkalines add up after a while too ;)

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the TK45 goes for about $225.

Granted, the 18650 setup will cost a few bucks, but single-use alkalines add up after a while too ;)

Alkaleaks? Might as well get a pack of Eneloops.

Don't forget about getting the quality 18650. Protected or not, there have been stories of exploding 18650s from dubious sources.

BRO

Newly Enlightened
I really enjoy my TK45 and I paid much less then $225.00, check out our sponsors they can beat that price easily. The light is a "Wow" light for opening up the dark, it is a lot of fun. The light appears to be well made like my other Fenix lights. I would get a TK-45 with confidence if that is what you are looking at..

jellydonut

Enlightened
Malkoff Hound Dog
I don't know if this is really comparable, with the TK45 having 760 lumens of claimed output and three distinct emitter/reflector assemblies. It is apparently not a thrower.

I would say the Malkoff Wildcat, if you can find one/wait until it's back in stock. Depending on which body you use it can use 2-3 CR123s, two 18650s or two 18500s. I don't know if you are invested in AA batteries or not but personally I would not want a light like this with AAs.

The Wildcat also has three XP-Gs, but it comes with textured McGizmo reflectors rather than the smooth reflectors of the TK45. It has a slimmer body due to the different batteries and a forward clicky in the rear, along with hi/low mode selected by twisting the head. I don't know if that's a UI you'd like or not.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like others, I'd suggest a TK40 if you like to use AAs or a TK30 if you don't. The TK45, while a *very* impressive light, just doesn't throw very far or at least mine doesn't. My TK40 noticeably out-throws it yet still has a nice wide beam pattern.

The TK45 is super bright, but as it the case with numerous XP-G powered lights, it just doesn't throw very far. The TK30/40 don't throw very far either compared to XR-E powered lights, but compared to the TK45 they are throw lights.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1! for the TK30.

I don't get it either; I've hardly seen anything on CPF about it. Maybe everyone blew their money on the TK40 when it came out, then couldn't justify getting the '30??

The TK30 is much lighter weight than it's size suggests. The interface is simple (the click/hold electronic switch of the '40 was a deal-killer for me).

It's easy to carry a reload, needing only 2 18650s instead of 8 AAs. Heck, reloading is simpler too. Which would you rather do on the fly: drop in two more 18650s or have to pop 8 AA into the carrier?

Also, you can use the '30 in single cell mode if you need to.

Unless you're really stuck on AAs or you just don't want to deal with Li-ions, I'd go with the '30 over the '40 or '45.

(and since this is CPF, I'll add the obligatory BUY BOTH statement :whistle: )

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is not much choice if you want to stay with AA batteries. You need to go with 18650 to get higher output. If you want more throw you can check Olight M31 Triton which outthrows Catapult and Jetbeam M2S too.

I have also heard that the battery magazine isnt too sturdy, it might not survive a drop plus the fact that have to use bloody batteries.

It is funny how everybody just keeps repeating this, but nobody on CPF actually did a drop test to verify it! Well, Czech reviewer did (several drops from waist height to carpet, concrete etc.) and not a single scratch...