AA flashlight with automatic turn-off?

Hellbore

Enlightened
I recently heard that the HDS Clickie has automatic turn-off.

Does this mean that if you forget to turn it off, or fall asleep for example, the light will turn itself off to save batteries?

This would be a great feature for my Mom, she reads herself to sleep at night with a novel, and often falls asleep with the light on. Usually the battery just dies, but a couple times the battery has leaked as a result. The most recent time it ruined the flashlight (a cheap DX light fortunately).

Is there any AA light that has this feature, automatic turn off? This would be great...

If not, any ideas of a driver board I could program myself to have a mode like this?

ama230

Enlightened
the maglite xl 100 has a candle mode feature that will enable immediately if left untouched or unattended. check into this one its a 3aaa.

Also all of the photon premium lights(freedom, proton, pro, xlight, rex) come with this feature but its only about a minute or so.

I would go with the photon freedom as it comes with a clip that i also bought my mom for when she reads and is super easy and small to use. The runtime is better than most 1aa's and they are cheap at batteryjunction.com

i have the niteize on my maglite 2aa and its great. For the price of a 2aa maglit and a niteize switch with led module, you could get 2 photon freedoms that are a top light here on cpf.

hope this helps...

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The Proton Pro is a 1 AA with 3 min. auto turn-off. This is not an advertised feature, but can be setup with a bit of clicking. Not really long enough for a reading light. I'd like to find one with about a 30 min. timer.

Geoff

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

High Flying Turtle ,

The PALight "Star" model ... available in October 2010 .....

Only 2 modes > Moonlight glow / Full brightness ....... (no in-between or strobe)

It auto. shuts OFF (to glow) in 25 minutes after being used in HI mode .

That may be the closest you'll find for your needs .

The "Selector" model will have 7 graduating brightness levels . (but no auto shutoff)

I wish the "Selector" model had auto-off .

Safe-Light (previously PALight)

~

Last edited:

red02

Enlightened
If the problem is battery leaking, why not just get some Eneloops?

Colorblinded

Enlightened
Or an AC powered bedside lamp?

Target has a $20 LED clip on desk/bed/wherever lamp. Attach it to something, point it at bed, turn on and don't worry.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
LF5XT can be configured with an automatic shut off and is a decent light for reading with it's floody beam. The NiteIZ (spelling?) IQ switch turns off after 10 or 15 minutes (been a while since I used it). It's probably the cheapest way to get yourself a light with such a battery saving feature even if you don't already own a mini mag. --flatline

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or an AC powered bedside lamp?

Target has a $20 LED clip on desk/bed/wherever lamp. Attach it to something, point it at bed, turn on and don't worry.

That's an agreeable solution ....... but I'd improve on it a little .......

by plugging it into an easily programmable digital shut-off timer.

~

I never noticed a setable auto-off timer feature on MY LF5XT ... explain please ?

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
~

High Flying Turtle ,

The PALight "Star" model ... available in October 2010 .....

Only 2 modes > Moonlight glow / Full brightness ....... (no in-between or strobe)

It auto. shuts OFF (to glow) in 25 minutes after being used in HI mode .

That may be the closest you'll find for your needs .

The "Selector" model will have 7 graduating brightness levels . (but no auto shutoff)

I wish the "Selector" model had auto-off .

Safe-Light (previously PALight)

~
What what what?
I was just recently playing with my PALight and I was thinking how nice it would be to have an updated model...

Also, Eternalight fits the spec, but is not made anymore.

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
Hmm, that might work, any suggestions? Are there small lights like that with an internal battery and a charging cradle or something?

I seem to recall seeing some cheap ones at Walmart or some such that plugged directly into the wall. I didn't look at them in any detail. I don't know how many recharge cycles you'd get if you run them down every night. There are also some "trouble light" type rechargeable lights I've seen.

I'll ask how does she use a flashlight, and why not just an AC powered light? Does she hold the light in her mouth, set it on the headboard, etc.?

Hellbore

Enlightened
I seem to recall seeing some cheap ones at Walmart or some such that plugged directly into the wall. I didn't look at them in any detail. I don't know how many recharge cycles you'd get if you run them down every night. There are also some "trouble light" type rechargeable lights I've seen.

I'll ask how does she use a flashlight, and why not just an AC powered light? Does she hold the light in her mouth, set it on the headboard, etc.?

Well, she likes to get curled up in a ball with all her pillows and blankets and stuff and read in bed with the flashlight in her hand. I think the way she likes to read, it would be hard to position a lamp very well. She also doesn't want to light the whole area up, just the book...

She has lamps as well as larger lights but always prefers to use her small 1xAA Cree Elly light from Dealextreme I gave her ages ago. Then she always falls asleep with it on lol...

Maybe some Eneloops and a charger would be best and just not worry if she kills the battery, if she can just remember to keep a couple charged up for next time :) Guilt-free lumens?

NPRFan

Newly Enlightened
Nitize IQ switch has a 15 minute shut off time that requires you to click the switch again to keep it on.

You'll need a minimag for it to go into and you can buy it with as an led combo.

I was very happy to find this page! Here's my question: If I get a Nitize IQ switch, will it work with an *LED* AA minimag light? Specifically, would a Nitize IQ switch work with a Maglite SP2210H 2-AA Cell Mini LED Flashlight?

This will be a gift, and I want to be sure that the combination will work before I order it. I don't want to give a gift that won't work. Thank you.