I'm about to hit the button on an RRT-3...

Bloke

Newly Enlightened
...tell me why I shouldn't!

I got my Jetbeam RRT-2 in the post this week and without a doubt it's one of the nicest quality feeling items of of anything human built that I've ever held in my grotty little hands. It just ooooooozes quality.

Looking at the specs for the RRT-3 (I've read eleventy seven threads here about the RRT-3) and know what I'd like to use it for, it looks like a bloody good light and one I'd love to own.
Very spendy though, so I thunk to meself, "better arx them edumacated blokes at CPF. They'll set me straight"

Your turn :D

Bloke

Newly Enlightened
Ok, your lead in is "tell me why I shouldn't". If you're still wanting to melt cows at 500 meter or even 200 meters then you shouldn't. If you've found something else to use it for go ahead, I say get it. You have seen this video of the RRT-3 in a beam comparison, right? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YJwnXJjef4&feature=related
Yep I've watched that vid a cuppla times. The Olight is imensley bright but I just don't like the size, shape, or price of it. Way over the top price. Outa my league

The "melt cows" thing is pretty much tongue in cheek. I live on the edge of my Brother and Fathers dairy farm and like to keep an eye on what's going on in my corner of it.
I am interested in a radius of about half a kilometre which means about 250 (275 yards) metres from my joint in all directions.

I imagine a light like the RRT-3 will give me a reasonably clear beam for that distance?

dosenfisch

Newly Enlightened
I am interested in a radius of about half a kilometre which means about 250 (275 yards) metres from my joint in all directions.

I imagine a light like the RRT-3 will give me a reasonably clear beam for that distance?

I own the SR90 and it's usable range is just about 500m, so the RRT-3 might not be bright enough.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at the SR91. It's about half way in size between the SR90 and RRT-3 and comes with a battery pack that packs a lot of punch. It will certainly shine out to the distance you're after and 4Sevens have it for $404 delivered.

Remember you'll need 3 18650's for the RRT-3 and I wouldn't bother using anything but AW's so there's another $50+ which is bringing you close to $400 and not anywhere near the output or runtime of the SR91.

Ilikelite

Newly Enlightened
Ok I have the rrt-3 with the handle. It's a very nice light but doesn't fit my hand well. It's large and with the handle or without it's hard to find a holster for it. If you are looking for throw it has more flood than you think. My thrunite catapult v2 has a better hotspot and can throw farther than the rrt-3. If you can deal with the large light and bad hotspot then get it. My suggestion is get the cat instead. I have both and when it's time for a bigboy light the rrt-3 sits on the shelf while my cat sees the action. That's just my 2 cents though.

Bloke

Newly Enlightened
I was just searching through my subscriptions (still learning how to use these forums) and notice I missed replying to a few threads, this being one of them. Posted one evening after a few too many beers. Sorry for the late reply :eek:

I did end up buying an RRT-3 and was initially underwhelmed by it.
My driveway is 200 metres (219 yards) long, and Jetbeam claim the RRT-3 is good for 700+ yards (680 metres), which in reality is a load of horse shite.

My RRT-3 will barely reach my mail box and the small bus shelter I built for my daughters. In my experience it is good up to about 180 metres (196 yards) after which things are really not very distinguishable.
This was a disappointment as I thought it would be better than that. I'm not sure how Jetbeam arrived at their massively overrated figures. :thinking:

But after some more use I have grown to appreciate this light for its combination of wonderful flood and reasonably good throw.
It feels good to hold and has a really solid build and will be a great replacement for my hopelessly outdated Maglite 2D :)