Will KL4 Run on 2AA, Which Body?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested in running a KL4 head on 2AA nimhs. Will the regulation provide enough voltage step-up and if so, are there any bodies out there that will hold 2AA and mate up with the KL4 threads?

Wilkey

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KL4 will drop out of regulation at about 3V or so. I tried it on 2AA's and it was a disappointment. Your mileage may vary of course.

CM

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks CM.

Sounds like I'll have to wait for the KL5 and a pair of Pila 150s.

Wilkey

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Methinks that will be an ideal combination. I've got some Li-Ion's ready to go. Just need the lights.

CM

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a test last night and my KL4 ran on 2AA just fine.
I kept it on for an hour straight before I was called away.
I used one of Dspeck's UBH rejects that takes AAs only.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it *may* run. Like I said, YMMV. It's strictly a function of the forward voltage of the LED. Also, even in the event you had the ideal LED with a low Vf, it will probably not run in regulation. You'll get good runtime, but that's because you're not drawing much power from the battery and your output will be lower. This is the explanation for someone (can't remember who) that said he got over four hours on a single 123. Well if you're drawing only 200mA from the battery and giving 150mA of it to the LED, of course you will get over four hours. But why bother? You bought an L4 so you can get a *BRIGHT* light. Like McGizmo said, "why buy a racehorse for a petting zoo"? (from this thread http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB3&Number=310529&Forum=UBB3&Words=&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=2weeks&Main=310395&Search=true#Post310529

OK, I guess now I have likely pissed off some people /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Sorry, but that's not my intent.

CM

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't **** me off at all.
But as to why you'd want to....
AAs are cheap and you still get a light brighter than any other 2AA light that I can think of.
Even on 3V it blows the LSH-P and the McLux out of the water.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wilkey:

As soon as I receive my Doug Speck "A" extenders (a $2 upgrade from his AA extender that won't engage a KL4) I will run 3 @ NiMH A's (I have Sanyo 2400 mAh min / 2700 mAh typical cells) or 3 @ NiMH Sanyo 2100 mAh AA's on either a UBH or a Mclux 3 * 123 body extended by an adapter.

For a super long run time, I could use both of my A adapters and use 3 @ 3800 mAh 4/3 A NiMHs if I didn't feel like running 4 A's.

One could be ridiculous and add a third adapter to run 5 @ A's or AA's.

(Let's see, I have 3 @ 123 adapters coming and 2 @ A adapters. Hmmmmm.......)

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
CM said:
The KL4 will drop out of regulation at about 3V or so. I tried it on 2AA's and it was a disappointment. Your mileage may vary of course.

CM

[/ QUOTE ]
Has anybody tried running an L4 on 3 x 2/3 AA NimH (600mAh) ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have an L4, but I've been running a KL1 on (3) 1100mah 2/3A for quite some time in a UBH. The same battery setup works well with an Arc LS head too. I've posted about this setup a couple times now and noone has seemed interested in the slightest. I'd imagine that the KL4 would do just fine with that setup, too.

Mark

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fascinating options. What I really wanted was a brighter alternative to my Lambda Illuminator. Seems like the KL4 can be made to work with AA-diameter rechargeables, which is what I was really after.

Now if only there were an easily obtainable and cost effective AA-type body.

Wilkey

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
GJW said:
Didn't **** me off at all.
But as to why you'd want to....

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense meant. My comment was just in reference to McGizmo's statement in the other thread. Sometimes I can be a grumpy ole fart , and I'm not even that old.

CM

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
While my KL1 is certainly NOT one of my favorites, it runs great on 2 AA NiMh's.. I tried a run-test and fell asleep after a couple hours and woke up with it in moon mode, so I don't know how long it will go. I'm certain that 3 AA will make it a lot happier->

klbbhx.jpg

This body was made by CPF's "Bob123". I know that he has been very busy trying to move closer to offering both his 2 and 3 AA bodies that accept E series SF or McLux heads.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The BBH1 & BBH2 bodies for KL1 / KL4 work just great - I also did some tests with 3 x 2/3As in an UBH and it works just fine too but with much lower runtime. For me the KL4 on 3 2100ma NiMh AAs is a great "guiltfree" setup. IMO 2 NiMh cells while running OK depending on the actual Vf of the LS used I suppose is not worth the trouble whereas 3 cells is the best setup I came up with so far.

Old thread on the BBHx / KL4´s - BBHx protoypes

BBHx.jpg

Klaus