Nitecore EZAA Twisty Mechanism

stoli67

Enlightened
Is it just the model particular model EZAA that I have or are they all the same... Mine needs to almost have the head unscrewed before the light turns off. There is a huge gap between the brass and the barel. The two never get close.

I was just looking at the nitecore website and on the pictures the barel and the brass are (almost) touching.

stoli67

Enlightened
Unfortunately I cannot post images as yet a (not sure when that gets turned on) but the gap I am talking about is 2mm or so. From totally detaching the head unit to the light coming on is 2.5 turns....

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is the same,you just get use to it,apart from the slender size I think it is one of the worst lights I have ever bought,I have a sort of love/hate relationship with it,wow factor is the ceiling bounce but what I have discovered I do not like these warm tints but I know members do.I like a nice crisp white light.

For some reason though I think it will be a keeper for now.

1anrm

Enlightened
Is it just the model particular model EZAA that I have or are they all the same... Mine needs to almost have the head unscrewed before the light turns off. There is a huge gap between the brass and the barel. The two never get close.

I was just looking at the nitecore website and on the pictures the barel and the brass are (almost) touching.

Maybe those pics dont have the batteries in them. I'm a little worried about mine turning on since it's a little easy to turn for me. So I've delegated mine to bedside duty with a SAK attached. I have the warm version and once in a while when I turn it on it makes me smile :grin2:

Kingfisher

Enlightened
After the light goes out it's 2.5 full turns before the head comes off on mine.

skwall024.jpg

Last edited:

stoli67

Enlightened
I was initially very taken with the beam that it produces but after I watched my three year old play with it for 30 seconds and get the head unit off I thought ... mmm it is a little wierd that it does not screw together properly... I am worried that if it is a keyring light or EDC light that I will loose the head unit... also surely this compromises the water proofing of this light. I think that it should fully screw together when in high mode and unscrew just a fraction for low mode.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was initially very taken with the beam that it produces but after I watched my three year old play with it for 30 seconds and get the head unit off I thought ... mmm it is a little wierd that it does not screw together properly... I am worried that if it is a keyring light or EDC light that I will loose the head unit... also surely this compromises the water proofing of this light. I think that it should fully screw together when in high mode and unscrew just a fraction for low mode.

From off to on mine takes about 1/4 turn,then near enough a full turn to reach high,then back it off just a fraction to go back to low,although been properly cleaned and lubed still very stiff and I have to use 2 hands,presume it will become easier with more use.I think it is the foam insert that makes it stiff as it is far easier with no battery inside.

Last edited:

stoli67

Enlightened
Perhaps the head will screw on more with use as the foam flattens down.... don't think that it will ever fully screw together though!

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had an EZAAw on my keychain for a year now and I still like it.

On mine the spring has flattened down quite a bit, it will occur over time, but shouldn't take more than a couple weeks. There is a bit of a gap in mine between the brass on the pill and the battery tube, but it's still three full turns before the head comes off.

I've also found the light is sensitive to the length of the cell you put in it. NiMHs are about 1 - 1.5 mm longer than most primaries and make it significantly harder to operate one handed. For longer periods of high beam use they also make it heat up quite a bit.

For these reasons I use L91's exclusively in mine as they give me more run time and are lighter than NiMHs. I also have no problem operating mine one handed, even for the high setting. And extended use on high only makes it warm, not hot, with L91s.

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened

Mine was the same way. I hated the gap and sold it within one day of owning it. I couldnt get used to it.

Font size

Newly Enlightened
[FONT=&quot]The spotlight works great. I use AW Li-Ion cells, probably different lengths than what you are restricting yourselves to. Very bright beam.[/FONT]

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Mine was one of the initial offerings by 4Sevens. It operates very stiffly (takes two hands) and it's about 2 turns after off before the head comes off. I've always been gentle with it after hearing of springs coming loose. I'd only tighten it just enough to get the high level.

Geoff