Which flashlight to buy?

rebelx

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone!

I am a newb in the world of flashlighting and don't understand most of the posts here let alone their titles!! :thinking:

I need a flashlight/headlamp (combo if possible but seperate otherwise).

The main purpose is to aid dawn and sunset photography. (in Sydney Australia)

The headlamp needs to be small, reasonable power, (bonus adjustable beam) and work with AA (less preferable AAA) batteries. I don't need too much run time as I can recharge batteries before a shoot which usually will use the headlamp for max of 1 hour or so.

The flashlight needs to be durable, very powerful if possible (more than 300-400 lumes), run on AA and preferably have a clip, and need to only run for 2 hours or so max. I can recharge before each shoot.

My budget is around $40-50 for each. Do tell me if I am expecting too much for this budget. Durability would be nice but I only will be using these on a weekly basis for a few hours each episode so not a huge deal. Some deal of water resistance would be great also as there is a chance of sea spray when I galliwant around the beaches....

I bought an ebay light with 76 LEDs one year ago which to it's credit is still running on the original non-rechargable batteries purchased for it!! I have dropped and broken this.

I am simply bewildered by the amount of choice out there and was a little suspicious of the headlamps on ebay which say "Q5 CREE 300 lumen" only costing $10 delivered.

On the same token, I don't want to pay hundreds for a dud where I couldn't have got 10 lights instead.

Thanks again for reading this as well as any suggestions!

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not to good on headlamps as I have no need at the moment for one but from what I have read here I think you need to check Zebra out,one of the long standing members had sent me a pm suggesting I have a good luck on there new range of flashlights which would be my perfect EDC,having looked at them I 100% agree that he is spot on and it will do everything I want of a light.

When funds permit I will be adding a AA cell Zebra light to my collection.I hope Jason reads your request and I am sure he will sing the Zebra brand praise loud and clear for you.:welcome:

Ps That is a lot of lumens you are asking for in a headlamp but heck what do I know.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The flashlight needs to be durable, very powerful if possible (more than 300-400 lumes), run on AA and preferably have a clip, and need to only run for 2 hours or so max. I can recharge before each shoot.

My budget is around $40-50 for each. Do tell me if I am expecting too much for this budget.
There is no AA powered flashlight in the 300-400 lumen range for $40-50 unless you want to get another 5 mm array. There are 100, 128 or more LEDs. CPF generally stay away from them because of a nasty tendency for the 5 mm LEDs to die.

What kind of beam pattern do you need. Your 76 LED probably give you a big blob of light. Most of todays flashlights have a bright hotspot and dimmer wide spill. Might not be most suitable for photography.

rebelx, you probably live closer to Zebralight than to mcnair55's supplier. So type in zebralight add a dot com and browse. Note the Zebralight headlamps double as anglehead flashlights when you slide them out of the headband. You may be able to get away with only one light. The most expensive AA Zebralight is $64 which is under your $ 80-100 combined budget.
There is a review of the Zebralight SC30 & H31w up. Different battery but they all work the same.
Check out the beam pattern, tint (the Zebralights with a W at the end of model number have a warmer, less blue tint) and user interface.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/288398

Byron Walter

Enlightened
while you will be unable to achieve your lumen level with either an AA or AAA configuration there could be an all-in-one solution... a combo headlamp/edc carry light.

I'm using the Fenix headband with a JetBeam RRT-0. This gives me the the headlamp option or the stand-alone carry in one package.

Here's the headband info:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/fenix-headband.html

I really like this headband which works very well with the RRT-O and recently used it on an extended kayak trip in Georgian Bay, Ontario. A nice point with the RRT is the ease with which you can change output levels with one hand with the head mount. Oh, and the RRT with the optional tube can take AA's. If you do go that route, try to find a dealer discount to keep the price within your target.

During the trip I also had an Olight M20s, which did a nice night-time job of lighting up a distant beaver. The others on the trip were amazed at the lumens coming out of the small M20. So were the bugs:)