Looking to buy a new LED flashlight

ProfessorFlorens

Newly Enlightened
I have a River Rock LED flashlight that I bought at Target. It is not very bright and I would like something more powerful/bright for walking on trails at night. What do you recommend? I would like to spend less than $100. Thank you.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, Professor. I'm afraid without some more info regarding your preferences in a light a helpful suggestion would be impossible. There are lots of really good lights for less than $100.

Tell us what size light you like and the type and number of batteries for it. Finding one brighter than your River Rock will not be a problem.

Geoff

SARLights

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

We get a lot of requests like these. We're prepared to help. There's a sticky thread which has a form to fill out about what you want/need in your new flashlight, and we can help you choose. ;)

ProfessorFlorens

Newly Enlightened
OK, I will look for the sticky. Thanks. Until then: I would like a small light that will help me see ahead on the trail. Thank you.

ProfessorFlorens

Newly Enlightened
OK, the sticky looks very useful. I'll complete it and post. (I've started looking at a few Fenix lights. They look strong and small.)

ProfessorFlorens

Newly Enlightened
This reads to be a very good flashlight: Fenix TK-12 R5.

Anyone have any experience with it?

Thank you.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're not familiar with different battery form factors and chemistries, it would be best to stick with an AA based light to start. Once you get more involved in it and have developed a better understanding of these tools, you can start to explore other types of lights, and start specializing for different needs.

A good place to start would be a Quark AA or AA2.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
To the OP,
Just a suggestion here:
I was in the same situation recently,
A couple of (fairly lengthy) youtube videos helped me, and I think you might find them interesting and helpful also:

http://bit.ly/cB1T88
and
http://bit.ly/c0rEuj

The user is nutnfancy, and he makes really good use of the lights prior to reviewing them. The links are just shortened to save space, they do go directly to the proper youtube videos I'm referring to.

Hope they help you out!

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering how you got on, did you decide on anything yet?
I also wondered if you would use it in looking at old stone engravings or things like that, and if so would the colour temperature be a consideration for you, for example warm white, cool white, natural white... Or is that unimportant to you?