How is the Pelican M6?

Spango

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'd like to know how is the Pelican M6? I've heard great comments about it on this board, but I've also heard some saying that it fails too easily when dropped. Price is reasonable compared to Surefire line of lights, but I would like to know about its reliability and quality. Thanks!

Size15's

Flashaholic
Spango asks about it's long term durability. Have there been any reviews of solid use over the months since it's release?

Thanks

Al

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, and I'm sure Al would agree, I think for the same price range a Surefire G2 is better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
G2:

Smaller than PM6
Lighter than PM6

Two Lamp Assembly options (P60/P61) that are also interchangeable with many WeaponLights.

Two Lanyard Kit options (TailCap/Bezel rings)

Rechargeable kit (KR1)

Three colour options (Black/Olive Drab/Yellow)

One 1W Luxeon Bezel option
Soon, one 5W Luxeon Bezel option

More switching options than you can shake a stick at.

You can extend the body using an old A19 to make a three SF123A model.

TurboHeads (many options here)

Holster/pouch options

BeamFilter options.

What do you get when you get a G2? Options. The G2 is the entry light to the World of Options that is the World of SureFire.

Pelican have done too little, too late in my opinion. Having said that, If I couldn't buy a SureFire, I would likely buy a PM6 because the other alternative; the ASP TacLight hurts my hand to use.

Al

Darell

Flashaholic
Nothing better for the PM6 McModule than... well, a PM6. I personally wouldn't purchase one to use in stock configuration (I'd go with the G2 for sure) but for modifying, they're quite good). The only incandescents I buy are the ones that I can immediately turn into LED.

SMB

Newly Enlightened
I love mine. It seems that the surefire is the holy grail of flashlights, but for the price and amount of light you get with a M6 you can't beat it.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Depends what you want. For superbright long throw you can't beat it. Also retains brightness longer than most other 2x123 lights. Here's Brock's chart

2cell.gif

Surefire lamps are designed to be the best compromise between flood and throw in order to provide the appropriate beam for law enforcement/military applications. It is also the best all 'round beam in a very small very bright light for civilian use. Surefire's turboheads are designed for long throw and are unbeatable in terms of size and weight of the entire package.

The G2 is a superb light but since it holds a P60 or P61 it isn't designed specifically for long throw like the Pelican, which can also be defocused for a wider beam.

Dare I say "get'em both"?

Brightnorm

Kiessling

Flashaholic
the switch is a bit shaky at the momentary-on position, requires constant pressure and may produce some "arcing" ...
bernhard

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I would definetly like my M6 better with A) McModule and B) Some sort of Clickie. But budgetary constraints are firmly in place! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

But that sucker is bright, and seems very tough. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
kiessling said:
the switch is a bit shaky at the momentary-on position, requires constant pressure and may produce some "arcing" ...
bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]

Not my experience with any of my three PM6's. Does it help if you carefully screw it in til just before it lights?

Brightnorm

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
[ QUOTE ]
kiessling said:
bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]

Not my experience with any of my three PM6's. Does it help if you carefully screw it in til just before it lights?

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]
I've had to mess with every one of my PM6 switches to get them to work right. Mine have all been flaky. Patiently waiting for that perfect clickie mod.... tap, tap, tap.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
kiessling said:
bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
I would definetly like my M6 better with A) McModule and B) Some sort of Clickie. But budgetary constraints are firmly in place! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a truly outstanding light and I wouldn't part with mine, but I still prefer the LOTC's because I use "combat grip"* a lot and LOTC is more convenient for that.

*Tailcap against palm, body between fingers

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
[ QUOTE ]
kiessling said:
bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]
I've had to mess with every one of my PM6 switches to get them to work right. Mine have all been flaky. Patiently waiting for that perfect clickie mod.... tap, tap, tap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I'm curious, I'l check a couple of mine right now... (goes to drawer at other end of living room.....OK, I just checked my PM6/McModule and one of my incandescent PM6's. I screwed in the cap until just before ignition and tried them in "combat position" (TC in palm, body between fngrs) and it was easy and steady. Then tried them in traditional thumb-on-switch position; no problem at all. Only modest pressure required, though if I backed out the cap the required pressure would increase.

My hands are not strong, especially considering that I have a permanent problem in both hands but especially the right hand. I bought a total of six PM6's in three separate purchases since they were first available until a few months ago. I gave three as gifts and kept three, and I don't remember if there were any problems with the three I gave away.

I'm puzzled at the problems people are experiencing. Maybe I've just been lucky. Also, two of mine have no exposed o-ring problem when loosened, though the first one I bought did.

Brightnorm

Tech a Billy

Newly Enlightened
I purchased my first PM6 when I was on the waiting list for my McModule so I had time to play with it in the incandescent mode and I liked it, a lot. Sometimes you want that nice, tight, long throw and at this the PM6 excels. Now that I have my McModule, which so cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif, I ordered another PM6 to keep in stock configuration in my Jeep's console. I'm using a Surefire 6P tailcap (non-lock out) which is just a little shorter than the Pelican so the light fits a little nook in the console perfectly. Good quality, regardless of price, and yes I have Surefires to compare, but the Pelicans have been getting a lot of burntime. Yes, you really do need both,.. just "ta have".

revbnc

Newly Enlightened
I have had mine now for 5 months I think. 5 of my guys at work also purchased them. (3 silver 2 black). No problems with any other than the exposure of the o-ring when locked out. I did drop mine, while in the dark,/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif on a concrete floor from chest high. It landed with a resounding "THUNK". I turned it on it lit up:D, but within 1 second the bulb exploded. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif OK, It more puffed and filled the bezel with glass and a white powder. No other damage and replacement was only 4 bucks. That is the only issue I have ever had with this light and I use it at work ,3rd shift, everyday. For the price, quality, warrenty and performance I find it hard to beat. I thought about the G2 but don't like plastic lights and the lamps are expensize. Just my observations during daily use.

But like other have said if you can afford both buy the M6 and the G2. I am sure you need them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif