Small EDC Suggestions

boulder

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I've done some research on small, reliable lights that I can carry in my pocket. I am looking for something around the size of the MiNi 123 but it has to be reliable. I have heard of loose threads on many of these lights causing them to change modes during use. Help me choose somthing that is going to be solid and that will work when I need it to!

Guidelines:
I will be purchasing this light online, I live in the US.
Budget of $75.
Small EDC size 2-4 inches.
LED.
I would prefer to buy a light brand new "in the box".
Looking for a light that uses 123 primaries.
3 modes with a high over 100lm and a runtime of 1hr.
I am expecting it to be more of a floody light.
Reliable twisty or clicky.
Material doesnt matter to me.
Would like it to have a split ring hole or a way to attach a lanyard.

Feel free to suggest anything! Any help is greatly appreciated lovecpf

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure the mini is basically one of the most reliable 123s out there... and you could even get a ti one within your budget. I've never heard of loose thread problems.

But for like $25 you could get an iTP A1 or for a couple bucks more the SS version.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The Mini's about as small as a CR123 light comes, and for the money a good buy. Some of the first ones had thread slop. Mine could be better, but it's rarely a problem. I haven't heard complaints recently, so maybe it's all fixed.

If you're willing to go to 4 inches length then there's a world of good choices.

Geoff

seahunt

Enlightened
Lumapower Incendio v3 or
G&R A-20 Q5 (about 120 L with useful med & lo) <$25.
This search goes right along with discovering the
meaning of life. Good Luck. :candle:
Regards, Chuck

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bolder, the Leatherman Serac S3 flashlight fits your description to a tee. It is being discontinued, but still in stock at many dealers, including Amazon.com for about $43 with free shipping.

I am delighted with this light.

boulder

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your input so far!

Taking a closer look at the EX10 and the SC30. Does anyone sell trit-slotted pistons for the EX10?

JDest

Newly Enlightened
It never gets much love around here (for reasons I won't get into here) but the ITP SC1 sounds like it would do well for what you are asking. And can be had for well under your budget ($39 before discount from Shiningbeam) It's one of the brighter single 123's out there with dead flat regulation on all modes and some serious throw for a sub 100mm light. It's not as floody as some other lights but it has plenty of spill. Definitely worth a serious look as it looks to be perhaps one of the best bang for buck values around.

Zenster

Enlightened
Nitcore EX10.

Nitecore EX10 or Zebralight SC30 ;)

nitecore ex10:thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for your input so far!

Taking a closer look at the EX10 and the SC30.
Does anyone sell trit-slotted pistons for the EX10?

For trits, ask the guy in post #22 in this thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/285431

For your OP requirements, EX10 all the way. And when so many people tell you something, you should probably give it some serious consideration. ;)

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, I've done some research on small, reliable lights that I can carry in my pocket. I am looking for something around the size of the MiNi 123 but it has to be reliable. I have heard of loose threads on many of these lights causing them to change modes during use. Help me choose somthing that is going to be solid and that will work when I need it to!

Guidelines:
I will be purchasing this light online, I live in the US.
Budget of $75.
Small EDC size 2-4 inches.
LED.
I would prefer to buy a light brand new "in the box".
Looking for a light that uses 123 primaries.
3 modes with a high over 100lm and a runtime of 1hr.
I am expecting it to be more of a floody light.
Reliable twisty or clicky.
Material doesnt matter to me.
Would like it to have a split ring hole or a way to attach a lanyard.

Feel free to suggest anything! Any help is greatly appreciated lovecpf
If you upped your budget then the Ra Clicky would meet all your criteria except the last one.

TMCGLASSON36

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered an EX-10 SP for my EDC. I just received a jetbeam RRT-O about a week ago it is great light but to big for pocket carry but great for work and hunting and camping. Before that FENIX PD20 excellent light but sometimes you just got to have something new.:twothumbs

HIDblue

Enlightened
Zebralight SC30

OR

Lumapower Incendio V3.

I've been using both for pocket EDC, switching out every week or so. I like how bright the Incendio is, but prefer the fact that you can turn the SC30 on in any mode (low, med, high) from off.

NCT1

Newly Enlightened
I have had an EX10 for quite some time now, and I must say It is my favorite 1 cell light that I own.

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened
If you are willing to use batteries types other than CR123 primaries, may I suggest the Zebralight SC50: At 3 inches long using AA (alkaline, lithium or Nimh) or 14500 Li-ion, it is still within your specs.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
You described the Q MiNi 123 to a T. Yes, the threads are a bit sloppy but the mode skipping only happens when you're turning the light on. When it is on it pretty much stays on whatever mode you have selected. Some folks have more of an issue with mode skipping than others and this may be due to the way people twist the light on and off. I love mine despite the occasional weirdness with the modes.