How to machine the reflector??

xbrite

Newly Enlightened
Dear guys,

I modified one of the Underwater Kinetics lamp assembly by removing the lamp and grind the bottom cone of the reflector with a pile. The out diameter of the reflector was approximately 23mm and result was outstanding. The center beam brightness was similar to that of the plastic optics while side spill was much brighter. This was good for both 1W and 5W LED's.

The major problem with the NX-05 optics and 30mm optics is that the center beam spot is quite OK, but side spill is too dim. The major application of my mod is for headlantern at night trekking in the mountain and for Bike riding, and it requires relatively brighter side spills and good narrow hot spot.

Now, I am trying to resemble the reflector which I modified with aluminum. As I am not an expert in this mechanic area, I would appreciate very much if any of you teach me how to. I can probably use CNC machines or anything necessary. Is there any way to reproduce the parabolic surface?? Any software to design the parabolic surface??

I may start using Aluminum with CNC cutting but later on, I may develop an injection mold tool so that I can use low cost plastic parts with aluminum sputtering to lower the manufacturing cost.

Thanks in advance.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
What else can you CNC machine? If you are interested in making a big run of something...let me know. I have plans!

xbrite

Newly Enlightened
Hello mr. Bulk,

Thanks for your ripple. As I am not a mechanic, I don't have plan to run CNC for volume production but as I know many machining shops around, I may check the feasbility for volume run. Let me have drawings of your product in mind so that I can obtain quotation for you.

Thanks..