4Sevens Quark AA2 HELP!!!

glockster dude

Newly Enlightened
I love this flashlight, and it works great! However, it seems that the beam has become a lot dimmer. When I turn it on the most powerful setting it starts out bright and immediately gets dimmer. Its driving me crazy and I'm stuck at work. I would normally just change the batteries but I have none here and I'm here all night. I also read that with this flashlight its not supposed to get dimmer and should remain at the same brightness until the batteries die completely.

Any help would be appreciated. I tried the search function but couldn't find anything.

Thanks guys.

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
Your batteries are dying.

If the batteries are not strong enough to maintain the current brightness level, the light will step down to a lower level that can be maintained. This will tend to happen more often with alkaline cells as they get closer to being dead.

The light is regulated, so it will stay at a constant brightness level as long as is possible, but you are mistaken to think that it will stay there no matter what until the batteries are completely dead. This isn't possible, so the output will be flat until the batteries can no longer supply enough power to maintain it.

P.S. The batteries may recover a little bit if the light is left off for a while, which is the reason you may see it initially start out bright each time and then go dimmer.

Last edited:

glockster dude

Newly Enlightened
Thats good to hear. I love this thing and am very relieved to hear its just the batteries. My night shift will go much smoother now that I'm not thinking about it. Thanks very much.

jgraham15

Enlightened
Your batteries are dying.

If the batteries are not strong enough to maintain the current brightness level, the light will step down to a lower level that can be maintained. This will tend to happen more often with alkaline cells as they get closer to being dead.

The light is regulated, so it will stay at a constant brightness level as long as is possible, but you are mistaken to think that it will stay there no matter what until the batteries are completely dead. This isn't possible, so the output will be flat until the batteries can no longer supply enough power to maintain it.

P.S. The batteries may recover a little bit if the light is left off for a while, which is the reason you may see it initially start out bright each time and then go dimmer.

Yep! You should always have a spare battery or two with you or just always have 2 or 3 flashlights with you that way if one goes dead you have a backup ready to go!

spydie fanatic

Newly Enlightened
I recommend using 2 NiMH AA rechargeable, you will be happier with the performance of your flashlight. The higher the mAh rating on the battery the longer it will last; ie 16oo mAh will not last as long as 2500 mAh.

There are 2 types of NiMH, regular and lsd low self discharge: the lsd are the new ones which can be stored a long time with minimal loss of charge.

I suggest these lsd's: Sanyo Eneloop has a 2000 mAh and Rayovac Platinum has a 2100 mAh. I use the Rayovac platinum 2100's...they are available at wal-mart and you can get a Energizer 15 minute charger on the same trip ;)

The energizer rechargeable you'll see at walmart are non-lsd, they will have a higher mAh rating, but aren't worth it for a few hundred mAh.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
What batteries are you using? If it's alkaline, forget it... This is going to happen all the time.

Use either Energizer Lithium AA's, or Ni-MH AA's for the best runtimes and overall performance.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
and to add still another bit of info, that sums everything up, postet till now:

single use batteries can not give enough current for a modern 2*AA light to run on full power,
rechargeables can

use rechargeables
(especially when You use that light often and on a regular basis)

but when You do not have good rechargeables and a good charger already, do not buy the Ni-Mh setup, go 18650 Li-Ion immediately.
Sure, You need another light, but the whole other parts are WAY cheaper and offer nearly 1.5 times the power, while not making size much difference.

PS: check if that 18650 body for the quarks can be used with head and end cap of Your quark - then You wont have to get a new light.

Last edited:

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
When using alkalines, avoid Turbo altogether and use High sparingly. As mentioned, Lithium primaries or NiMH rechargeables are the way to go.