Any 18650 lanterns?

Kremer

Enlightened
Has anyone come across any 18650 powered lanterns? I'd love to have a little single 18650 powered version of the Rayovac SP1W3AALN-B (the mini 3AA sportsman). A few minutes of net searching hasn't turned up anything for me.

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only 18650 "lantern" I know of is a P60 host with a "cap" or diffuser on top to spread the light. I don't know of any more advanced 18650 lanterns. :(

axle54

Newly Enlightened
2 x 18650 would be an ideal size for a small but powerfull lantern.

bobjenkins

Newly Enlightened
Ditto on this I dug up my old account just to ask this question but it seems someone already did. Anyone find a good lantern that runs on 18650´s?

GreySave

Enlightened
I would be surprised if anyone offered such a lantern as it would be more or less designed and marketed to flashlight folks. The general public would not have a significant interest and that would negatively affect sales and profits. Hence the general standard of AA or D cell lights. Now Coleman does make one or two 123A powered lanterns which are nice with some minor modifications to reduce glare and artifacts. VERY small and light as well with great run time. One is always present in my emergency response kit.

kneighbour

Newly Enlightened
I have not seen any around. I am contemplating building my own. To me the 18650 is such a perfect battery size to run a decent output lantern. I am thinking a CREE might be too bright. Probably all you would need is 2 or 3 50 lumen emitters of some sort, with 2 or 3 18650s. That should give a fair bit of light that would last a long time. I will have to look into it a bit more.

I could get a cheap $15 lantern from ebay, rip out the fluoro tubes and cheap lead acid battery, then fit the new stuff. Should be heaps of room. Out in two 50/100 lumen CREES back to back where the old tubes were....

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to see that build if you do it, along with detailed directions. Please post the build in its own thread if you do!

iron potato

Enlightened
yea, I agreed with roadie & old4570, I also have one of this lantern head on duty when blackout ~ ;)

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Not necessarily a dedicated 18650 lantern, but I've got an S-Mini from shiningbeam.com which uses an 18650 battery, and I purchased the Fenix camping lampshade attachment at only a few dollars and it fit's perfectly. Works absolutely fantastic as a lantern and you have a fantastic little torch when required.

havand

Enlightened
What, like this one I built about 4ish years ago?

009eo.jpg
009eo.jpg
009eo.jpg

Vinniec5

Enlightened
Havand nice design!! have you seen the Kelty Lanterns? I like the square 4D with the 2 led panels that swivel nice design also

weklund

Enlightened
I have a few of these SolarForce lantern heads. Very handy and will fit multiple 18650 configurations. I have this one installed on my FM 2x18650. These will fit any SolarForce P60 style bezel. These will not fit on Surfire bezels.​

I like um..... :devil:​

4BO3.jpg

4BO1.jpg

Last edited:

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plus with a Solarforce camping lantern you can get a 18V max drop in and stick 3 x 18650 extenders onto it along with a strike bezel and make a light mace.

It's like a modern day rendition of an old style tar and pitch torch with a pointy stainless thing that can put someone's eye(s) out - plus you can get some great runtime!!! :D

Shao

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I don't expect any lanterns because for the most part lanterns are made to sell to the general public and use common primary batteries. I have yet to see any lithium ion based LED lanterns for sale but have been thinking about creating one as it would probably be ideal to have a few XM-L LEDs and 2-4 18650s and runtime from a month at uber low to a few hours at lumens perhaps rivaling gas powered lanterns.

weklund

Enlightened
I love the Old Colemans. I must have 15 vintage Colemans. All running perfectly. Fun to fire one off in the evening outside while tending the BBQ.

Coleman.jpg

NickBose

Enlightened
I'm still amazed until now with your DIY lantern!
How many lumen do you think it gives?
I can't remember what the battery config was. Did the thread survive the crash?

What, like this one I built about 4ish years ago?

009eo.jpg
009eo.jpg
009eo.jpg

Last edited: