Surefire E2L single mode: Better choices for runtime?

Mikellen

Enlightened
Hello,

I am going to purchase a Surefire E2L with the single mode rated at 45 "Surefire" lumens with 9 hours of regulation and a diminished output of up to 14 hours.
I understand the E2L is a discontinued model and there are more efficient LEDs used in current lights. But are there really more efficient lights out there at a similar lumen output compared to the Surefire E2L and if so, is it very noticeable?

From all the reviews that I read the E2L has a long runtime but those threads were older and I've not seen any comparisons between the E2L and current similar flashlight brands. I was hoping not to just purchase the single mode E2L for its high efficiency in regards to the technology in 2007 but also for high efficiency in todays standard.

I'd appreciate your views on how the efficiency of the Surefire E2L compares to current flashlights using the latest technology.

Thanks for any replies.

Last edited:

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
The current incarnation of the E2L has very nice runtimes in high and low and I would say for most people's needs, it's probably the only torch you'd need.

Notice I said "need". Some people don't "like" the beam profile created by the TIR optic used in the E2L but for it's designed application, outdoor work, it gives it a very good amount of throw for how many lumens it is, at both levels.

Some people also "want" brighter lights. It's not the brightest thing out there but the low mode is great for close up work without blinding yourself with the light reflecting back at you, and the high mode seems great to me for finding your way around when hiking/walking out at night, let alone any indoor use.

There are more efficient LEDs out there such as the Cree XP-G R5, however, if you're looking for good runtime with the Surefire guarantee to back it up, a low-then-high clicky interface look no further.

computernut

Enlightened
The dual-level E2L has a low that's lower than the 45L of the single-level and a high that's brighter. The runtime on high is more like 6 hours while the low is like 60 hours. The single-level E2L runs for 9 hours. If I'm stuck somewhere with no lights for quite a long time I would probably like the long running low of the dual-level. I do prefer single-level lights for their simplicity as well so it comes down to how you'll use the light and what you like in UI. Make sure you get an F04 diffuser to go with it for close-up work (ie. reading).

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The simple option would be the newer 2-mode version KX2 bezel. On high it produces 79 Lumens per watt at 8.4Vin. Its my most efficient light in this regard (using bc OTF 1.5" sphere measurements). Its almost double the efficiency of my Malkoff M60.

I have never done a run time test on it, since I use RCR123 and for obvious reasons do not want to completely deplete the cells.

:thumbsup::party:

Illum

Flashaholic
Computernut said:
The dual-level E2L has a low that's lower than the 45L of the single-level and a high that's brighter. The runtime on high is more like 6 hours while the low is like 60 hours. The single-level E2L runs for 9 hours. If I'm stuck somewhere with no lights for quite a long time I would probably like the long running low of the dual-level. I do prefer single-level lights for their simplicity as well so it comes down to how you'll use the light and what you like in UI. Make sure you get an F04 diffuser to go with it for close-up work (ie. reading).

2007, single mode...Runtime made by Chao
2007E2L.jpg

2008, dual mode, on high the runtime suffered a bit
2008KX2runtimeCR.jpg

But on low, Bigwaffles scored 63 hours of runtime
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2748904&postcount=16

The E2L's beams not that bad of an indoors light, but with Malkoff LL series there lies ample room for alternatives:grin2: