I'm burning candles and starting my "Hurricane Go Away" Dances

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Dateline NBC did their five-year anniversary of Katrina coverage last night; even though I live in the desert, just seeing that makes me want to prep the bug-out bag..

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Dateline NBC did their five-year anniversary of Katrina coverage last night; even though I live in the desert, just seeing that makes me want to prep the bug-out bag..

Well IMHO, New Orleans should not exist where it is being below sea level with a monster salt water Lake Pontchartrain waiting to flood, that is always a disaster waiting to happen. Same with all the California properties build on the San Andreas fault, and ridiculous ocean-front property which should be excluded from FEMA Hurricane coverage.

Yeah, I'm charging up all my batteries, of which I have way too many, making sure I have the plywood to put over windows, double checking flood & home owners insurance policies, taking video of possessions for documentation, and storing it online, making pdf's of important documents and storing online, lining up gas supply for generator, and cleaning out carb, new plug, making sure I have dibbs on UHaul trailer from a good friend that owns a franchise, priortize what important stuff gets temporarily moved out, etc.

scout24

Flashaholic
I'm with you, Lux. As good a time as any to do some prep work and see what needs attention... Good to have a dry run if nothing else. We'll know more by the weekend, according to the mapping. Thanks for the site.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Good Luck to you and your family, Lux.

And to ALL of our CPF'ers in the "Crosshairs".

:eek:
_

m3flies

Banned
Well IMHO, New Orleans should not exist where it is being below sea level with a monster salt water Lake Pontchartrain waiting to flood, that is always a disaster waiting to happen. Same with all the California properties build on the San Andreas fault, and ridiculous ocean-front property which should be excluded from FEMA Hurricane coverage.

Yeah, I'm charging up all my batteries, of which I have way too many, making sure I have the plywood to put over windows, double checking flood & home owners insurance policies, taking video of possessions for documentation, and storing it online, making pdf's of important documents and storing online, lining up gas supply for generator, and cleaning out carb, new plug, making sure I have dibbs on UHaul trailer from a good friend that owns a franchise, priortize what important stuff gets temporarily moved out, etc.
Unfortunately, it seems many people who live in an area that could be impacted by a hurricane have become complacent because we haven't had one in awhile. Preparation is something that should be done days, not hours, in advance of the potential for major storm damage.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'm certainly hoping nothing comes anywhere near you but, one favor presuming you remain safe and all blows in some other direction--some video of the dances if ya would...:rolleyes:

Karl

1wrx7

Enlightened
Good luck Lux. Good to see you're being proactive and preparing for what might come. I hope your neighbors are doing the same.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Earl appears to really angry about something. Looks like Friday/Saturday are D-day. Cat 4 already. Hey! Back off dude!

One of the best things the government ever did was start giving names to hurricanes. Makes your foe so much more personal now. LOL!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
My vast arsenal of lanterns, flashlights and batteries are ready!

I've also readied my loaners: stock Mag minis and D cells with diffusion lenses. Best-loaners-of-all-time! No explanation needed whatsoever, and the diffusion lens makes them great directed flooders. 99.99% of emergency use requires no throw, and the Mags ability to do double duty in candle mode is great.

Where in CT are ya, Lux?

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
North Carolina here - in Raleigh, so we won't get any but local flooding, and maybe some power outages. As much as I like power outages, I'm hoping there are none. If I need dark, I'll go find it ;)

Earl's aimed to hit us on Thursday Friday at 2 am. LuxLuthor, that's the coolest hurricane site I've ever seen.

UniqueBaron

Newly Enlightened
Earl is not looking good for us up here in NE. Haven't really been hit head on in awhile, but early is looking to come close and make a sweep by, Im fine with him staying out at sea.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I might head to the coast on Friday. Hopefully Indian Beach, NC (along with everywhere else) will be spared damage. Recalling Hurricane Fran here in central NC, I really don't want Earl anywhere near.

Geoff

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Oh crap, I just remembered I took off the fuel line from the gas tank to the carb on my 5K generator, and forgot to put the replacement back on, and replace the plug and oil. LOL!

Phaser, near Ocean Beach in New London! LOL!

WDR65

Enlightened
We're watching Earl closely and I think we're going to have to head down to the beach today to move all of the furniture off the decks. Its been a long time since I've been through one and I'm not looking foward to the heat and mosquitos afterward.

I do have over 50 AA's, 20 or so CR123's and a whole ton of lights ready to go and we're refueling all of our tractors and loaders as I type this. Next comes the chainsaws and axes.

Being in the nursery business this is not exactly what I need to have happen right before one of our busiest seasons but all I can do is pray that it skirts the coast as they are predicting right now.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh? Where's his post? Sounds like a troll to me :green:. Gimme a link - I'll ban him. LOL

+

^^ I laughed out loud on this one DM:crackup:

seriously though, hope this Earl guy doesn't slowly grind up the whole east coast
like some stumbling drunk.