4 Backpacking HDS-ED 170L or SF-E2DL 200L

bighottaco

Newly Enlightened
First off this site is great! Thanks for all the info. I can see how it could easily become dangerous/addictive.
I like to go wilderness backpacking and kayaking so I'm looking for a light that can get wet, take abuse, be lite(weight!) and get cold(I live in MN where the cold wind blows.) I was going to order a SF E2DL 200L until I saw the "must have" list and checked out the HDS-ED 170L hmmmm... any big advantages one over the other. I can get the SF for $149+free batteries or the HDS for $189. Also, if I go for the HDS there is the saphire lens option $31 and the titanium bezel $23 for a total of $243. Is the saphire lens worth it and is the ti bezel mostly show or does it add significant strenth and subtract weight? Thanks for any illuminating thoughts.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

Do you have a good headlamp? If not get a SF Minimus. I have a few that I take camping with the family. Is the HDS a single cell model with a low mode of say 5 lumens? If so I would take that over the SF.

kelmo

bradleyj37

Enlightened
i had the surefire you mentioned but i now have a few ra/hds lights and i prefer those hands down. i think you could probably leave off the titanium bezel if you are taking it backpacking. as far as the saphire lens maybe somebody with a bit more knowledge could chime in. i have a ra 170t and a ra 120. i would not hesitate to take either one with me.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with the Ra. Have you taken a look at the 100 high CRI? Yes, it's "only" 100 lumens, but with a more natural color temperature, and much greater color rendering, colors appear much more natural, and shapes appear much more 3-dimensional.

Otherwise, any of the Ra's are an excellent choice. They are just as well built as Surefire, and more water-resistant as well (Surefire = IPX8 [1 meter submerged, 30 minutes], Ra = 2 atmospheres submerged [~66 feet]).

Ra's are extremely efficient. I used my Ra 140narrow at summer camp for a whole week, using 140 alot more than necessary, and I didn't have to change the battery once (this doesn't mean you don' have to carry spare batteries!!!).

--------
The Ti bezel's are really only a "bling" option, IMO. Yes, ti's cools, but SS would be just as durable, cheaper, but, unfortunately, heavier.

Same with the Sapphire lens. Yes, it's more scratch resistant, but it is (ahem, slightly) more likely to shatter, because it is a harder material. The UCL glass lens is about 3mm thick. Believe me, you'd have to be into some serious stuff if you break that. Besides, it's cushioned from shock by 2 O-rings, one on each side, which aid in water-resistance as well.

nbp

Flashaholic
Excellent post John, you covered the bases nicely. My additional thoughts:

The Ra/HDS is definitely going to be the better choice for this kind of activity in my opinion because you can assign 4 light levels to your presets, which is very useful. (You have 23 levels to choose from.) In all reality, on a backpacking trip you will probably be somewhere very dark, and in that case low level lighting will be much more useful to you. The ability to program the HDS to levels as low as ~.07 lumens is invaluable, and much more useful than you might think.

Similarly the difference between the highs of 170 lumens (calibrated output) and 200 lumens (OTF) is really not so noticeble in actual use. So, in getting the HDS, you really lose nothing, but gain a lot of versitility.

Ksailork

Newly Enlightened
I own the SF E2DL, and while it is light, you would have to add in the weight of a holster. Putting it in a backpack otherwise would shred your backpack. :caution:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and both are good light's personally I would take a 2xcr123 just for the simple reason of grip. I believe I just read a thread recently discussing the E2DL and it not being the best light for water proofing, something about the switch IIRC.

Since I'm thinking a 2xcr123 for grip and for runtime I'm thinking the E2L would probably serve you better. The output is plenty bright and so is the throw and hey it is called the E2L Outdoorsman.

Lumenz

Enlightened
I think the HDS High CRI Clicky is your best bet. That is the one I take hiking with me. I also take my 170 but that is only there for a backup light. You will appreciate the tint and you won't miss the extra lumens. However, I would recommend you take a headlamp with you for those times need to use both hands.

And forget the titanium bezel. I have one and it isn't significantly lighter.

Last edited:

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the HDS High CRI Clicky is your best bet. That is the one I take hiking with me. I also take my 170 but that is only there for a backup light. You will appreciate the tint and you won't miss the extra lumens. However, I would recommend you take a headlamp with you for those times need to use both hands.

And forget the titanium bezel. I have one and it isn't significantly lighter.
+1. Solid advice,

James....

mbw_151

Enlightened
I have an older HDS EDC with an updated High CRI Seoul emitter and an E2DL. For backpacking, it's the HDS, not even a contest. There are very few times you actually use "high" on either light (except play). This means for practical purposes the Surefire is a one level light and that one level is too bright for many things, like in a tent. The HDS can be set up with 3 usable levels and still retains the high.

You should take two accessories for the HDS; a Surefire F04 diffuser and a head strap so it can be a backup for your headlamp. As for the headlamp, I haven't found anything better than the Surefire Saint Minimus. I just wish Surefire had a "neutral white" option. Oh well, just one more thing to send to Milky.

Chadder

Enlightened
Get the HDS without all of the options and spend the extra money on the E2DL!! If you don't get both you will always wish you had!! Our Moto is One is None and two is One!!

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the normal HDS and use the spare funds for a Zebralight H31W to go with it. Uses the same batteries, gives you a backup light and a good headlamp. Both also work great with rechargeables

H31W: http://www.zebralight.com/H31w-Headlamp-Neutral-White_p_29.html

EDIT: Went night hiking the other night and the Surefire TIR optics are very impressive for looking at anything more than 8m away. With a beamshaper a Surefire LX2 might be the perfect companion to a Zebralight

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just spent 5 days backpacking with my HDS Clicky 140GT and it performed perfectly. I would choose it over the E2DL as well. Now I made sure that one of my son's brought an E1B with them as a perfect compliment to my Clicky... Surefire's optic is wonderful and throws its' beam very far while maintaining a good amount of spill.

So if you buy one, buy the HDS and if you buy another, consider the E1B or the E2DL:thumbsup:

By the way, I went swimming plenty with my Clicky and never worried at all about its waterproofness.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
Those two lights are my goto lights. Granted I have older versions but they are still my trusty favorites.

Just remember the mantra "one is none and two is one!". :devil: always have a backup.

Oh and welcome!!!!!

Simon520

Newly Enlightened
The E2DL is not very efficient at the low setting; you'll get 15-20 hours of use from 2 primary cells.

Plus, the low isn't all that low. If you try to read a book by it- it's really too bright.

The RA is a better light for camping use- more efficient, lower low.

I have both of the above lights. A better Surefire choice would be an E2AA or on a single cell body.

Simon

gander6

Newly Enlightened
For backpacking it's the low settings I appreciate and use 90% of the time. I have an E2DL and would say it's low setting is not low enough. A red filter would change/help that. On my last backpacking trip I took an E1L and still thought the low was too bright for night adjusted eyes, so I combined it with a red filter.

I don't have an EDS, but have used a Novatac 120P while backpacking. With the range of settings on the 120P, it's a good backpacking light.

All that said, I say the HDS.

bighottaco

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the info. everyone. I ordered the HDS 170L, I think I'll be happy with it. Would have been nice if I could've had both the cri100 and the 170 in my fingers to see what my preference would have been.

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
(I live in MN where the cold wind blows.)

Cold?!?!?! Way down South, it's cold?!?!? :poke: :devil:

Regards

Kaptain "When I was younger, we used to trailer our motorcycles ALL the way down to Minneapolis so we could ride to bike week in FL" Zero