Brand new LED Lenser P14, Corrosion around LED?

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there. First post...
I'm an aspiring flashlight enthusiast.
I have a Maglight 4D LED that I've had for quite a while now,
but I wanted small and mid sized AA LED flashlights to fill certain gaps.
Bought a LED Lenser P14 which arrived today, and a Fenix LD20 R4 which hasn't yet arrived.
Anyway, the LED Lenser just arrived, and it's great.
But upon opening the box, my eyes were immediately drawn to what appeared to be corrosion of the small metal ring that encircles the LED emitter itself.
I tried to capture it with photos, but it wasn't easy.
I'll try to upload them below, and get your learned opinion.
Is this usual and part of the manufacturing process, or is my unit flawed, and should I send it back for replacement?
Ta!

Err... how do I put photos on here?

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you removed the head to see if that's the case?

Yes, I took the head off and had a close look at the thin metal ring that goes around the outside of the yellow LED part. It isn't as obvious... the lens magnifies it a lot, but it's still visible, I can't figure out what exactly it is, it does look like corrosion, but it might be some kind of heat discolouration... I can't tell. I don't think I'm going to bother about it, as it in no way effects the performance of the flashlight -- which is extremely good, especially now that I've put some new, freshly charged 2500MaH NiMH Sony batteries in.
I don't know how to upload the images yet sorry.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1533.jpg

IMG_1529.jpg

IMG_1509.jpg

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I just had a chat with the supplier, who checked several of the other new CREE Lenses in LL P14s, and they all show the same marking.
It doesn't affect the light output at all.
When you look at the chip directly, it seems to be more like a sort of heat discolouration, and it's not an issue, not corrosion per se. It just looks quite bad when it's magnified hugely by the lens. The metal part that discolours is actually part of the CREE chip itself, not part of the lens or reflector.
The new CREE chips (like the XP-G R4 in my new Fenix LD20) don't have that metal ring, like was on the older generation XR-E types that are used in the P14 (I think, correct me if I'm wrong... I'm very new to all this technology).

So no issue, case closed, and overall I'm very happy with the P14. Best light I've owned so far... pending tomorrow's imminent arrival of the LD20 R4!

Latest posts