Delghi IRIS mini-review & POST YOUR IRIS PICS!

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
I recently received my first Custom Flashlight and am very excited about it. Unfortunately I missed the original order thread directly from Delghi, but I was lucky enough to catch the second run from Lighthound.

To my understanding, there was a special run of 10 orange, and 10 black for Lighthound. Several CPF'ers requested a "mini review" after I received the light, so here it is! I remind you that this is my first "review" of a flashlight and realize that it will be nowhere as good as reviews from Selfbuilt or others, however there are no reviews of this light, so here we are.

*PLEASE correct me if I am incorrect anywhere in this post!

First of all, the description from Lighthound.com:

Custom Italian designed and made light project , limited run, machined from 7075-T6 premium aerospace aluminum bars, fast and easy dual output interface high/low.

Regulated Cree XP-G R5 emitter driven by one CR123/RCR123 battery for 240 lumens.

Features:

* Buck and boost, regulated dual output driver (~625/ 65ma), simple double click toggling

* 240 lumens at the emitter for 1.20 hour and 50 lumens for 12 hours

* Titanium Ti6Al4V bezel included

* Dimensions: 101mm long and 28,7 mm head diameter

* 23,5mm low orange peel aluminium reflector

* 2,85mm thick UCL glass lens, 99% light transmission with Anti-Reflective coating

* Easy to upgrade, screw-in engine equipped with CREE XP-G R5 in emitter

* 1,8mm thick NBR o-rings with vanilla scented Italian rubber tailcap boot

* Made in Italy

The light arrived in a plastic bag with a business card. No other packaging, which is fine by me.
The fit and finish on this light is superb. The light is very lightweight and comfortable to hold. It will tailstand nicely without making the switch hard to operate. The cut-outs on the tail allow easy and comfortable access to the switch. (which does smell edible!) The switch is a forward clicky type switch with a solid "click". The light has high and low modes with high mode coming on first always. A quick click off and back on will get you to low mode. With the light off, you can "soft click" lightly and access either high or low with hard clicking turning the light on.
EDIT: I was incorrect in my description of the UI. As ninemm points out, the torch will remember the last mode if it is turned off for more than a couple seconds. I guess this UI is called the "EDC UI" as black bolt points out. Sorry for the error but thanks for the correction guys!

The machine work on the light is gorgeous. At first look it appears to be one solid piece of aluminum. The head separates from the body right below the logo, allowing battery changes.

The solid aluminum body disperses heat from the unit very efficiently. I have had the light on high while writing this review and the unit is barely warm.

It is not dark here yet, but playing around the house shows that the beam is very smooth with no rings. It has an intense hot spot with a nice transition to the corona and very useable spill. To my eye, the tint is a very nice, almost pure white with no hint of green or purple.

And now, a few pictures to start. Please forgive me as I do not have a "light box"

DSC01575.jpg

DSC01579.jpg

DSC01580.jpg

DSC01581.jpg

It is my understanding that the original run had serial numbers on each unit. Unfortunately there are no serial numbers on this run from Lighthound. Here is the logo on the light:

DSC01577.jpg

One to compare size with a HDS Clicky:
DSC01583.jpg

And here is a picture of the beam on a white wall from about five feet away:

iris%25202.jpg

Tonight I will try to take and add some outdoors beam shots.

To conclude, I am extremely happy with this torch. With the sale price of $194.99, and extremely limited production, you cannot go wrong with this light. Being my first custom, I think I chose pretty well.:D

It would be great for this thread to turn into a dedicated photo thread for the Delghi Iris. Please feel free to post any additional info (especially correcting errors by me) and PLEASE post all of your pics of the Iris!

Thanks for reading!

lovecpf

Last edited:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I watched the original sales threads - both Aluminum and later Titanium and corresponded a few times with Delghi. The numbering was a bit of a pain in those apparently. The light looks like a real winner - I'm just trying to keep with my current lights and upgrade those (example my Gotham is out for a LED upgrade). I've had to resist this one several times!!

I haven't seen another review yet - thanks!

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Captain! Great thread idea. :thumbsup: Your light doesn't memorize the last level? My orange Iris has the EDC UI. If I leave it on low for more than a few seconds then turn it off and back on it will be low. Vice versa for high. :shrug: Such a great light. It will never leave me for sure.

Chucula

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review.

* Easy to upgrade, screw-in engine equipped with CREE XP-G R5 in emitter

Can you take a picture of this? Sounds very interesting but I wonder how it is implemented.

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonderful mini review !

Ra is shorter than I imagined. :)

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's mine.

Beautifully Stone-Washed over Titanium IRIS.
Of course, the pic's are taken by Delghi. :twothumbs

cheers,

img8521x.jpg

jgraham15

Enlightened
That sure is a beautiful light!

Thank you for the review and I will be looking forward to the outdoor beam shots! :twothumbs

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the nice review and the pictures!

I'm looking forward to my orange beauty! :twothumbs

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
Hey Captain! Great thread idea. :thumbsup: Your light doesn't memorize the last level? My orange Iris has the EDC UI. If I leave it on low for more than a few seconds then turn it off and back on it will be low. Vice versa for high. :shrug: Such a great light. It will never leave me for sure.

Good catch nine. You are correct, upon closer examination my light behaves the same as yours. It will remember the last mode it was in if left off for more than a few seconds.

Black bolt, no sorry, I was incorrect. Mine is the "edc interface" like how ninemm described it. Sorry for the confusion!

Lets see some more pics guys, i know they are out there!

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good catch nine. You are correct, upon closer examination my light behaves the same as yours. It will remember the last mode it was in if left off for more than a few seconds.

Black bolt, no sorry, I was incorrect. Mine is the "edc interface" like how ninemm described it. Sorry for the confusion!

Lets see some more pics guys, i know they are out there!

Getting a dSLR this week. Pics will be coming. :devil:

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
octaf, that stonewashed Ti is super sexy!! Looks great with the Hinderer.

Ok, update to the outdoor beam shots I promised. I cant do 'em! I have a new found respect for Selfbuilt in particular for his huge collection of phenomenal nighttime outdoor beam shots. I knew a lot of work went into them, but didn't realize how difficult it really is to get shots that are accurate with what I am seeing with my eyes. My camera just doesn't cut it and will not do the beam shots the justice they deserve.

I would like to call on anybody else with an Iris and a decent cam to take some good outdoor beamshots and post 'em up.

I didnt realize there are already a bunch of great pics by Delghi himself in this thread:

A few by others as well. Im just really excited about this torch and still would like to see even more pics if anybody is up to it!

Still no outdoor beam shots though...

Hey Coach! I saw pics of your #003 in that thread. Very beautiful!
lovecpf

Last edited:

cuttingedge

Newly Enlightened
Bought an orange Iris from Lighthound. When received it had a definite problem with the switch. It would come on when you depressed the switch, but would not stay on when it was released. I have sent back to Lighthound for repair.
Another CPF member had the same problem with his and has had to send it back twice for service.
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue with their light.
icon9.gif

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought an orange Iris from Lighthound. When received it had a definite problem with the switch. It would come on when you depressed the switch, but would not stay on when it was released. I have sent back to Lighthound for repair.
Another CPF member had the same problem with his and has had to send it back twice for service.
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue with their light.
icon9.gif

Surprised and sorry to hear of the issues your Iris is having. Mine has been rock solid reliable. :shrug: Hopefully the problem will be resolved quickly for you!

Here's a pic I took last weekend. I posted it (and some others) before, but it was lost when the forum had issues.

IMGP6181.jpg

PaveHammer

Newly Enlightened
Is there going to be another run of these lights?

I think I would sell an organ to get my hands on an AlTiN coated one - it would probably cost that, too.

I saw the ones on Lighthound, but then I saw the order/picture threads and the bare aluminum just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Anyone know anything?

Brad

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
Damn Barbarian, nice threesome you have there!

That blue is HOT!

Im so tempted to pick up a black one to go with my orange one.

NIne, GREAT shot of the orange. I love this color orange. Such a deep, shiny color.