What is a good not too pricey AA flashlight?

xlanc3

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a single or two AA flashlight with really good throw. Any suggestions? Post up your thoughts.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Lots of good possibilities. Maybe you should define what you mean by "not too pricey". Cost varies widely.

Geoff

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Romisen RC-C6 is a cr123 light but can be obtained from shiningbeam with an extension tube that makes it 2xAA. Because of its focusing ability it can throw very well.

The Solarforce L2R with the 3-mode R2 dropin also has good throw.

Not sure what your budget is here, but both these lights can be obtained for under 30.

The upcoming fenix E21 may or may not be something to keep an eye on. It will supposedly have a smooth reflector so it may have some good throw as well.

The Hawk

Enlightened
I am looking for a single or two AA flashlight with really good throw. Any suggestions? Post up your thoughts.
I like the Romisen RC-N3. I got mine from Shiningbeam for about $25.00 including shipping after the CPFUser discount. It arrived a couple days after I ordered it. It uses 2 AA batteries and has good throw for the price.

fyrstormer

Banned
Jetbeam E3S. Single-AA, barely wider than the battery itself, hefty for its size but not heavy compared to a well-endowed keychain, made of stainless so you'll never break it. Very bright for a 1.5V light.

ColoradoClimber

Newly Enlightened
Is the Fenix E10 considered a good light?

It's listed on REI Outlet for $24.00 today. Mine is on it's way. I'm not expected to be disappointed for $24.00.

Buck

Newly Enlightened
Romisen RC-29 Adjustable aspheric lens, so you can get the best throw possible, all the way to a wide, even beam. Pretty bright for a single AA. My only complaints are only one level, and the goofy little fins around the clicky aren't the best for pocket comfort. Runtime on an Eneloop is right around 1 hour.

Unfortunately, Shiningbeam appears to be out of his, which had a great warm tint. I bought 3, so you can blame me! ;-)

vickers214

Enlightened
+1 p100a2, check out self builts 2aa round up, he states its the best 2aa thrower and I have one and it is very good with usable spill as well, the quark turbo was not in the review and I suspect it will throw further due to the fatter head, but for me I would rather get a 186500 torch at that size and have the extra juice for the size and loss of pocketability

vickers214

Enlightened
Sorry its cheap ish as well, as it comes with no holsters etc, I like aspherics but my rc29 was defective and the screw flood to throw was a pain, and it squeaked when you adjusted it! If you want a bargin then get the c78 torchlight off dx for 10 dollars works great on aa but if you want get a cheap charger and some 14500 batteries for another 14 dollars and you now have a 24 dollar night cutter:) push pull focus as well

notsofast

Enlightened
Is the Fenix E10 considered a good light?

It's listed on REI Outlet for $24.00 today. Mine is on it's way. I'm not expected to be disappointed for $24.00.

Should have a nice tint. To me the down side is the single mode. You shouldn't be disappointed though.

LotusDarkrose

Newly Enlightened
the duracell Daylite has a good, focusable beam.

Ew, Daylite flashlight :green: (Yours might be fine, I had a bad experience)

Not even 2 months into me having my daylite I noticed horrible flickering. Finally I got annoyed with it and took it apart...over the course of an hour and ended up breaking it lol. Thing is put together with epoxy and hate.

Plenty of q5 and xre aa flashlights out there. Best advice is if you see one you like that someone suggests, and its a little bit out of your price range, save more til you can get it. Had way too many bad experiences with "settling" because my wallet was a little short on different items.

JDest

Newly Enlightened
An AKoray K-106 will only set you back ~$20 if thats your version of not too pricey. If the funds allow I would also suggest also checking out the aforementioned Jet I Pro V3. One of the best AA flashlights around. Also the SA1 from ITP, and Quark AA Regular and Tactical are of worth a look-see as well.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast

Single AA pocket thrower: Jet I Pro 3.0 This little puppy can THROW!

Runs on 4.2v 14500 li-ion, AA lithium, AA NimH, AA Eneloops, AA alkaline
3 programmable output levels
Most definitely a thrower!

I have a D10 R2 and it's possibly my favorite single AA light, but I would not consider it a thrower - especially not compared to the Jet I Pro 3.0.
The Quarks are great lights too and I've got more of them than I should have, really, but again, they're more suited to general purpose use and
not great throwers, especially not the XP-G R5 models. The Jet I Pro 3.0 easily out-throws the standard Quarks as well. Probably out throws most single AA lights you can name.

Last edited: