Rimfire Mounted Flashlight

SUNDAYBAIN

Newly Enlightened
Looking for help on a flashlight for my rimfire rifle if poss would like it powered with aa or aaa batteries, 1in diam must be rugged and waterproof distance 70yds

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know you are asking for AA powered, but for size and weight with better performance a Li-ion (18650) IMO will give you a better result.

The 18650 lends itself to giving a 1"/25mm body perfect for gun mounting, not sure if AA lights will offer this as the AA is much narrower.

I use a WF-501B host with Cree R2 mounted on my Ruger 10/22 using a standard weaver scope mount ring onto a Picatinny rail Barrel mount. It adds little weight and is giving 200+ lumens with more throw than I need for the accuracy of the rifle.

ruger-tactical.jpg

Mounted near the front of the rifle you get less of the rifle illuminated by light spill when compared to a scope mounted light. Only a tiny amount of light falls on the very end of the moderator in this configuration.

More often I use the exact same host, but with a Luxeon K2 Red LED. When using this I don't use the momentary switch shown in the picture, but just the standard clicky tailcap as I leave it on all the time.

I also have a triple rail barrel mount to which I mount both the red and white leds:
triplebarrelmount.jpg

(no pictures of this on the gun at the moment)

Anyway, even if you find a suitable AA powered light, this mounting configuration works well for me.

SUNDAYBAIN

Newly Enlightened
Nice set up mate your right about the batteries 18650 are the way to go.read up on the WF-501B a lot of conflicting reviews about it so iv decided to get the EagleTac T2OC2 thanks for your input.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The EagleTac T20 C2 looks good, and a very similar size to the WF-501B, though a lot more expensive. If it fits your budget (including mounts batteries, charger etc) go for it. Are you going for the Mk2?

They say the design is update to allow for the emitter to be upgraded, do you know if they have gone for the common P60 type module or an Eagletac version? If so this gives you great flexibility.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of curiosity, what is the reasoning for a light on a. 22 LR? I'm not trying to be a smart butt here; I'm really interested to know. All I can think of is plinking or possibly night training with live rounds or something. Have you considered a Fenix TK11?

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of curiosity, what is the reasoning for a light on a. 22 LR? I'm not trying to be a smart butt here; I'm really interested to know. All I can think of is plinking or possibly night training with live rounds or something. Have you considered a Fenix TK11?

I'm guessing in subwoofer's case, he is licenced professional rat exterminator. Sub-sonic lead poisoning is the preffered method of removal for these pests, and others, in the UK. Night time is the time to bust them when they are out and about. I believe special licenses are needed for both the semi-auto rifle and the "moderator", or silencer, on the business end.

Hellbore

Enlightened
Subwoofer what did you use for the remote switch? Did you have to mod this up or does DX sell a tailcap remote switch adapter, or is there something out there already that screws in?

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing in subwoofer's case, he is licenced professional rat exterminator. Sub-sonic lead poisoning is the preffered method of removal for these pests, and others, in the UK. Night time is the time to bust them when they are out and about. I believe special licenses are needed for both the semi-auto rifle and the "moderator", or silencer, on the business end.

Oh okay, that makes sense. That never crossed my mind because where I live we don't have rodent problems like that, and if I did, I could take care of the problem myself without a license. A permit would be required for a suppressor though, if I wanted one. Is it permitted to us one of the 1000+ fps pellet guns they're making now? Of course they are only single shot, not semi-auto? Either way, that would be a pretty neat job to have.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hondo pretty much got it. I'm not a professional, but in the UK the .22LR is a common vermin control tool, rat, rabbit, and close range fox. Requires a 'good reason' to be granted a firearms certificate which allows you to own one. Using subsonic hollow point ammunition it is a very effective and quiet tool. Lamping is also a very common vermin control technique. So in the UK at least this is very normal.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Subwoofer what did you use for the remote switch? Did you have to mod this up or does DX sell a tailcap remote switch adapter, or is there something out there already that screws in?

The WF-501B has easily available extras including the remote switch in the picture. I bought it as a kit for hunting so it came with both remote and clicky tailcaps. These were all over ebay and I think DX as well. I haven't looked recently.