My New Olight SR90 with Non-Centered Emitter, Hot Spot Lobes - Beamshot

ivorykid

Newly Enlightened
I couldn't resist... I had to buy a SR90, and it arrived yesterday. But....

At first light, I immediately noticed that the beam hot spot was more of a blob than a spot. It had two very distinct lobes, 90° from each other, with substantial brightness. Upon closer examination of head, I can clearly see that the emitter is not centered in the encapsulation / lens (sorry, I don't know the proper terminology). The lobes in the hot spot correspond directly with the offset of the emitter. (Offset to the left = lobe to the right; offset down = lobe at the top).

Is this condition considered a "defect" in materials or workmanship? In other words, is this worthy of a warranty return / exchange?

Here is a quick beamshot. Sorry--I had to use my cellphone camera, without any manual controls. Any way, the light was about 12-15 feet from the wall--close enough to still have a slight shadow in the middle. The camera was about 6-8 feet from the wall (no zoom).

IMG_20100823_224458.jpg

In this photo, one lobe is at 3 O'clock, the other is at 12 O'clock. The camera didn't capture it nearly as obvious as my eye sees it. The 3 O'clock lobe appears to be emphasized by the glare, but this actually makes it appear in the photo more true-to-eye.

In contrast, notice how tight the hot spot is on the opposing sides (6 & 9 O'clock).

I just think that $450 torch ought to have a nicer beam.

Edit: I did not take a photo of the non-centered emitter prior to sending back... but here is a cartoon of its condition (as posted in post #25)

SR90%20Offset2.jpg

-IK

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
The square die in the round reflectors gives artifacts. I believe that there are patterns present around the hotspot on all my SST-50 and SST-90 lights (I just checked RRT-3, M31 SR90 and SR91, they where in range).

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah get in contact with the supplier and get a replacement, that cant be accepted for the price of it.

ivorykid

Newly Enlightened
Yeah get in contact with the supplier and get a replacement, that cant be accepted for the price of it.

I just sent a short message to the supplier (GoingGear) explaining my situation. We'll see how it turns out. According to Olight's published warranty, the exchange within 30 days should be unconditional.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
After a similar issue with my Fenix Tk30 I decided I've had enough with returns and exchanges with these chinese lights. I have decided I'm only purchasing surefire or HDS lights from now on, these chinese based lights are very nice and have good performance but with the quality control you never know what you're going to get, too many of these type of threads pop up. Unless these brands can drastically improve quality control I'm forced to stick with surefire.

easilyled

Flashaholic
After a similar issue with my Fenix Tk30 I decided I've had enough with returns and exchanges with these chinese lights. I have decided I'm only purchasing surefire or HDS lights from now on, these chinese based lights are very nice and have good performance but with the quality control you never know what you're going to get, too many of these type of threads pop up. Unless these brands can drastically improve quality control I'm forced to stick with surefire.

I have to completely disagree with you here. This is the first post that I've seen with any complaints about this light. It stands out against numerous others that sing its praises.

Please don't turn this into a Chinese vs. American issue. It is not. Olight make high quality lights and its an exception for something like this to happen.

These exceptions happen with whatever manufacturer you care to mention.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to completely disagree with you here. This is the first post that I've seen with any complaints about this light. It stands out against numerous others that sing its praises.

Please don't turn this into a Chinese vs. American issue. It is not. Olight make high quality lights and its an exception for something like this to happen.

These exceptions happen with whatever manufacturer you care to mention.

I knew it. I knew I couldn't say one thing about the chinese quality control without someone jumping on the subject of chinese vs american. My post wasn't mean to start a debate and quite frankly I don't want to start one. Please people, let's not turn this into a chinese vs american debate, we've all been there before and it always turns ugly. I was talking about chinese lights in general, not just the olight in this post. I'm sure it's a nice light but as I said I'm done with the chinese lights in general. Unless I can purchase one in person, which isn't going to happen in the craphole I live in, I am going to stick with the surefire's. As far as everyone else out there who enjoy these chinese based lights, more power to you, I hope you enjoy them, but for me, I've just had too many bad experiences to purchase another. Performence wise though, the olights and fenix's do perform very well, I will difenetly give them that.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I knew it. I knew I couldn't say one thing about the chinese quality control without someone jumping on the subject of chinese vs american.

Why mention "chinese quality control then"?

Olight has a very good track record with excellent quality control as a rule. The fact that this particular light has an off-centered emitter is no more to do with Chinese quality control than a Surefire with an off-centered emitter has to do with American quality control.

Even McGizmo lights have been known to have off-centered emitters and they are the creme-de-la-creme of lights on this forum.

red02

Enlightened

I disagree, sticking with Surefire is the best thing that came out of me buying Chinese-made lights.

The square die in the round reflectors gives artifacts. I believe that there are patterns present around the hotspot on all my SST-50 and SST-90 lights (I just checked RRT-3, M31 SR90 and SR91, they where in range).

aren't the XRE dies also square? Is this just because the SSTs are newer?

Last edited:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why mention "chinese quality control then"?

Olight has a very good track record with excellent quality control as a rule. The fact that this particular light has an off-centered emitter is no more to do with Chinese quality control than a Surefire with an off-centered emitter has to do with American quality control.

Even McGizmo lights have been known to have off-centered emitters and they are the creme-de-la-creme of lights on this forum.

Good point, but I just feel that there are too many of these "my olight fenix jetbeam has an issue" type threads pop up way too often. I wasn't pointing a direct finger at olight, I am just speaking about the chinese lights in general. I know there are other members here who feel the same way I do but don't voice their opinion cause their scared it will turn into a flame war type thread and quite frankly I don't blame them, cause that's always what happens.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Good point, but I just feel that there are too many of these "my olight fenix jetbeam has an issue" type threads pop up way too often. I wasn't pointing a direct finger at olight, I am just speaking about the chinese lights in general. I know there are other members here who feel the same way I do but don't voice their opinion cause their scared it will turn into a flame war type thread and quite frankly I don't blame them, cause that's always what happens.

By lumping all lights under one category, ie. Chinese, and assuming that they all lack quality control, you are making a very generalized and provocative statement.

Certainly a very unfair one too in my opinion. I am in possession of 3 Olights (SR90, M30, Ti Infinitum) and I sold a fourth the Olight M20 Ti-SST50.

Each of them work perfectly and the quality control is excellent.

StriderSMF

Newly Enlightened
it seems like surefire just gave up they haven't developed anything new in years. there stuck in the past if not there taking years to put anything out .way to long if you ask me.what happened to all those new lights that they were supposed to come out with a couple years ago ?

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
aren't the XRE dies also square? Is this just because the SSTs are newer?

Nearly all leds are square, but most are small. My guess is that the artifacts on SST leds probably has something to do with large size square die and smooth reflector combined.

ivorykid

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the input. GG is replacing the light for me... with one that they personally test before sending to me.

I certainly didn't intend this to turn into a "anything" versus "whatever" thread. I was only asking about my one, single, isolated unit. Sure, it's a hassle, but it happens.

300winmag

Enlightened
Yes it happens :shakehead, I bought a TK11 when they first came out but noticed the LED was off center so I just grabbed another one and informed the clerk about the other light. Still using and abusing it!! Glad to hear it they took care of your issue.
Now lets not :dedhorse: people!!!!........ :nana:

Splunk_Au

Enlightened
I disagree, sticking with Surefire is the best thing that came out of me buying Chinese-made lights.

well you're probably oblivious as to where surefires are made now then :p
hint. if you wana find out.. try searching where streamlights are made. they share some of the facilities.

will i be banned for saying this bit of truth?

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
well you're probably oblivious as to where surefires are made now then :p
hint. if you wana find out.. try searching where streamlights are made. they share some of the facilities.

will i be banned for saying this bit of truth?

Surefire manufactures their lights in the united states. Why do you think otherwise? I've never heard any different., Made in the USA.

Latest posts