Which batteries to use for Moonlight Runtime test?

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, I was going to do a runtime test with some of my flashlights like they're doing in this thread...https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/288379

However they're not doing lights that supposedly have REALLY long runtimes like 100-200 hours or so but since those I have are claimed to do that, I chimed in but was told to ask here about which batteries to use so as not to hijack the other thread. Below are the ones I have and I would like to know WHICH batteries to use for them? Ie, I'm looking for MAX RUNTIME in the lowest mode...

Maelstrom G5
Moonlight: 0.2 lumens, 7.5 days

TK40
Low - 13 Lumens, 150 Hours

TA21
Mode 1 (4 lumens - 215 hrs)

JetBeam III M R2
Min Output: 2 Lumen, lasting for 200 hours

Quark AA
0.2 lumens for 10 days (1ma)

I own eneloops, powergenix batteries in AA, 14500's from AW and also RCR 123 and 18650 from AW

Again, max runtime is what I want.

THanks

George

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Typically lithium primaries (ultras in AA) would give you the most runtime followed closely by alkalines for low current levels then rechargables. From what you list the only "choice" would be in AAs and the eneloops would probably run longer than the other two types as I doubt the higher voltage would be a big advantage in lights it may only equate to higher output and equal or less runtime I would think.

Last edited:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, crap. Now I've gotta buy primaries which I don't have. Will there be much difference in runtime?

Come to think of it, since I bought these for myself and I only intend to use rechargeables, I guess I really should test them with those so that I know how long runtime I get when I use them.
Whatchathink?

Damn, I need to get the pila charger too before I do this I guess.

George

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, waiting for confirmation from Flavio on which spacers come with the pila and which spacers I need to buy.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Typically lithium primaries (ultras in AA) would give you the most runtime followed closely by alkalines for low current levels then rechargables.

Well put. Can't wait to see the results Guiri!:popcorn:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Myself I would like the tests done on Eneloop mainly as that is how I feed my lights.I only feed Lithium to shelf queens.For often used budget lower power I use a decent Alkie such as Duracell.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eneloops are the standard by which all AA lights should be measured, as lithiums are often expensive or simply not available depending on where in the world you live. I have no comment to make about alkalines.

I don't think you've got any problems using AW li-ions, again they are the standard IMO.

wantsusa

Newly Enlightened
I would say eneloops cause I think so many of us use them, it can be checked by other people testing the same type of batteries, 18650 > 2 RCR123 from what it sounds like for long runtimes for others lights...though I dunno hehe

Choose what you use the most! Cause it is your light and it will benefit you to know your runtimes!

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, eneloops are fine but the others will have to be AW's then

Ok, I'll do this one as soon as I get good charger. Waiting for Flavio to get some in, in a day or two