Question for the Zebralight users...

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm considering getting one of their headlamps, but not for headlamp use. I was thinking of using it for a pocket light.

Question:

Do you find that it's useful as a flashlight rather than a dedicated headlamp?

Pro's and Con's of each as it pertains to form factor and usefulness as a flashlight rather than a headlamp?

Lumenz

Enlightened
Using a Zebralight headlamp as a regular hand-held light would be awkward. I have used my H501 when working on computers because I can stand it up and point it where I need light so I have both hands available.

If you want a flashlight from Zebralight, go for one of their SC model lights. I have the SC50w and it seems to work really well.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was considering something like the H31 or H51 that has a flashlight beam. Not one of the pure flood versions. My question is more along the lines of the ergonomics of the light for hand held use.

Snow

Enlightened
I rarely use mine like that because I have their new flashlight models as well. It has worked fine the few times I have done it, and I like that you can set it down and aim it at what you are working on if you need hands-free operation.

andyw513

Enlightened
I'll keep this thread in mind when I get my H60 in. For repair work I can see how using a headlamp model can be useful as a handheld. It might take some getting used to though. Have you looked at their handheld models or just like the headlamp model?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my H501w as a regular flashlight all the time for looking under or behind stuff or navigating through a dark room. I've never actually used it as a headlamp. I either set it on something and aim it where I want it, hold it in my hand, clip it to my shirt, or hold it in my mouth (gripping the clip with my lips).

But if you want to illuminate something further than 10 feet from you or you're trying to compete with intense ambient light (like daylight), you really need a light with a hot spot.

I have no experience with any of the reflectored Zebralight headlamps, but I expect that they're excellent general purpose lights (although it's a little awkward to hold the headlamp in your hand to use like a flashlight).

The Zebralight UI is excellent. I'm extremely tempted to get the SC50w or the SC60w if they make one, but I told my wife that my HDS EDC Clicky would be the last light I buy for myself this year (it seemed like a good idea at the time to say that...*sigh*).

--flatline

Last edited:

pae77

Enlightened
I have both the H501w and SC50w+. Both very good. The H501w I've used handheld quite a bit. It's awesome for close up stuff, and as a personal task light, but no throw at all, so a bit limiting. Love the light but wouldn't want to make it my only light due to lack of throw, although it's fine for things like navigating around the house, walking up dark stairs, etc.

The SC50w+ has some great features. It's a little powerhouse. I love the super low low, the UI and the spacing of the modes is pretty good. The + UI is a bit more refined and slightly improved over the predecessor SC50 models, imo, especially on 14500s.

My only criticism really is with the beam and the tint, not that they're bad, it's just a personal preference thing. I would prefer a little less yellow tint wise, although it's really quite OK, but more importantly, I would prefer it if the spill was a bit tighter and brighter and the hotspot a tad bigger. With a smoother transition between a bigger hotspot and a tighter brighter spill, it would be a lot more to my liking. But on the other hand there are times when the super wide spill is useful.

Overall it's still a great light, especially for its size. I leave it in candlestick mode on my night table running on the lowest mode all night as a night light. Since it has something like 20 days of runtime in that mode, that's no problem at all.

And it's really comfortable in the hand, with the side click button. It does tend to turn on in my pocket if I forget to lock it out, however, I usually carry it hooked by the clip onto a belt loop of my jeans where it rarely turns on by accident.

I'm just a bit spoiled by the perfection of my LF2XT's tint and beam.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I use my H50 all the time as a pocket light, clip light, table lamp, etc. It's particularly effective clipped to the front of a shirt or coat. Like flatline, I've never actually used mine as a headlamp.

Geoff

Foxx510

Enlightened
I use one of mine as a regular light all the time. It is currently being used every night above my kitchen bench as the lighting is terrible!

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was considering something like the H31 or H51 that has a flashlight beam. Not one of the pure flood versions. My question is more along the lines of the ergonomics of the light for hand held use.

For holding it in the hand, the H51 might be more ergonomic because it is longer. I hold my H501 in my hand frequently. It's not awkward once you get used to it. I like the way you think because in some way a reflectored ZL light might be even more useful than an all flood ZL light. You can't turn an all flood light into a thrower. But you can give a thrower some flood with a diffuser. I think you will be fine using one as a regular flashlight, but chances are you will be using it hand-free as well. And when you do, you will be glad you have an angled ZL light with you. I am sitting at my desk typing this post with my H501 worn around neck (tucked behind the shirt) and ready for action.

Last edited:

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I talked myself into ordering an H51. We'll see how it goes. I may just get another SC model too.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I talked myself into ordering an H51. We'll see how it goes. I may just get another SC model too.

It's a great light I've had mine for about a week or so. I don't understand though if your not going to use it as a headlamp at all why bother with the headlamp models when they have the SC series?

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
My current EDC is the H31.
Good flood , the throw i need (not many meters)
I can use it like a Molle light, with the clip and it can tailstand, BOTH ways! :thumbsup:
I'm happy with it, it's not the brightest, but it's surprisingly small and is great for Molle and tailstanding use.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
"It's a great light I've had mine for about a week or so. I don't understand though if your not going to use it as a headlamp at all why bother with the headlamp models when they have the SC series? "

I like the UI better than the SC models because all 3 levels are memorized. I like the output on Nimh AA's better and I think the angled head could have some advantages. We'lll have to see if any of these differences play out well for me or not.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the memory on high is a big advantage you should look at the SC60 if your into Li-Ion, it also memorizes the high mode.

I can't say it enough the SC60 is a awesome EDC light.

andyw513

Enlightened
Just got my H60 in today...

From what I can tell so far, it will be a great all-around light. The size is incredibly small, leaving it light on the head when used with the band. Also, mine came with a vertical clip that lets you clip it onto your pocket, railing, or whatever you'd need. I tried the handheld method after dark tonight and it's not too awkward at all. I think it will serve as a great walking light because of the wide beam it produces.

Scott Packard

Newly Enlightened
I bought an H60w several months ago and found it made such a great clip-on-the-belt light that I ended up buying another H60w as a headlamp. It was too much of a pain to switch the mounts out every time I wanted to go from headlamp to clip-on.
Currently the clip-on gets daily use; the headlamp about twice a week use.

I still use flashlights for flashlight use.
For instance, last night I was walking with the H60w on medium-high on the belt and waiting for a red light to change at a residential intersection. Light changes, I start crossing in the crosswalk and power on the The Lumapower Mini VX Ultra SST-50 pointed to the ground a few feet in front of me. There's a pickup truck turning left and I hear a truck engine gunning for me and my wife. I stopped walking and pointed the Lumapower at the driver's eyes, rapidly waving it to and fro. About 1.5 seconds later, driver is off of gas and onto brakes. My net gain is about 2 years of {surgery, out of work, physical therapy, and a few brain cells}.

You'd think the H60w would be enough of a Kleig light to be noticed in a crosswalk, but an SST-50 in a reflector was necessary in this case.

red02

Enlightened
Most of the time I don't even use the headband. I think thats the way they designed it to be used.

alanagnostic

Enlightened
I got an SC50W many months ago and it's become one of my favorite lights. It's very small but puts out a lot of light. The tint is the best of any of my led lights. I've thought of getting another one just because I like the tint so much. I never us it on the headband.